Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Details Recent Enhancements to MobileMe

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today posted a MobileMe news article referring to a new new support document detailing recent enhancements to MobileMe.
Mail
- Compose window address selector shows all email addresses for contacts, not just home and work addresses.
- Newly added email addresses to Contacts appear in the compose window selector without having to logout and login.
- Improved printing of HTML formatted messages.

Contacts
- vCard export supports all text fields.
- Improved results when searching with both first and last names.
- Improved Japanese name ordering.

Calendar
- Faster start time when accessing Calendar for the first time.
- Faster performance when switching between day/week/month views.
- Calendar now retains your last view settings, such as day, week, or month view, as well as showing or hiding the To Do panel.

Gallery
- Faster loading of Gallery home page for visitors.

Login
- MobileMe login has new design featuring news updates.
The tweaks follow several recent updates to MobileMe, including the addition of file sharing and the release of a new version of MobileMe Control Panel for Windows that enables faster syncing contacts and calendars with Outlook.

Article Link: Apple Details Recent Enhancements to MobileMe

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Nice to see it is being improved, however certain things such as "Faster loading of Gallery home page for visitors." makes you wonder why this wasn't as fast as possible before... did anyone used to have trouble connecting to .Mac galleries "back in the day"? I always found them incredibly slow. Are MobileMe's any better? I haven't used one yet.

The new page looks a lot nicer, I didn't like the other one, it looked kinda... bland, and while this is very similar, for once, more text makes it look nicer.

Comment

rachaface

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
does anyone know if you can now log in on internet explorer? i wish i could avoid it, but the school computers take an extra 5 or 6 minutes to load in firefox when the computer starts up, and i just dont have the time between classes to log into my iDisk on firefox when MSIE is available instantly.

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I guess a faster gallery might also be a feature of Safari 4, rather than MobileMe. Like the new front page, looking forward to them adding a few new apps at some point, giving me something I'm missing, but don't know it yet.

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Nice to see it is being improved, however certain things such as "Faster loading of Gallery home page for visitors." makes you wonder why this wasn't included befor...

They had to get the product out of the door. If you take the approach that it should be flawless on the initial launch, then you will never launch because you will always be tweaking and refining.

That being said, it should at least WORK when it is launched. MobileMe had horrible issues when it launched that were inexcusable. However, something like optimizing the loading of webpages is perfectly acceptable to include post-launch; it worked before, it just works better now that they have had time to go back through the code and performance tune it better.

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
too little too late. i've already decided that after 3 years .mac/mobile me will never be up to where it should be. just not worth the cost when there are better alternatives out there.

Comment

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
too little too late. i've already decided that after 3 years .mac/mobile me will never be up to where it should be. just not worth the cost when there are better alternatives out there.

I'm beginning to think like that as well. Here in Europe iDisks are slower too.

Comment

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I'm beginning to think like that as well. Here in Europe iDisks are slower too.

The combination of Safari 4 plus the MobileMe upgrades means it's finally a usable Windows webmail client. It's never going to be worth the money, but for those who have stuck with it for years, this is a welcome upgrade. Safari 4 in particular is a huge leap forward, so much faster.

Comment

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
It also seems to me like they added Chrome to the list of acceptable browsers- that seemed to me like an oversight on apple's part. I can't imagine that Chrome didn't actually display mobile me correctly, and I never had any issues with it.

Comment

virus7

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Denver, CO
I'd still like to be able to reply to an html email and have it quote the formatted HTML message and not just the code.

Also the sorting of emails is based on when the email entered the folder, not the received date. I'd like to be able to set that or at least have it remember my last sort.

I'm still disappointed in the web interface.

Comment

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
As PlaceOfDis already mentioned, too little too late.

I let my MoMe expire in January. Got push email and my own little website to do everything.

A shame really. If Apple had waited instead of forcing it out the door with 2.0 and 3G this would've been a bigger success IMHO.

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I noticed this earlier today. I still wish that Apple would add the ability to add a reminder to calendar events that you setup online. It is a bit annoying to set up the event and then have to go to the computer at home or my iPhone to set the reminder. Oh well, maybe in the future.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I don't use the web applications at all - but it is good to know they are still enhancing them, so when I do need to use it at some point.

Comment

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
If they would just add reminders to the web interface of MobileMe calendar function I would be happy. Nevertheless - any update and improvement is welcome.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.