Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Lest we forget that the original iMac was announced at WWDC. The types of products usually announced at this or that Apple event do not mean we won't get a surprise.

Wasn't it Macworld Expo New York, July 8, 1998?
Not WWDC.
Or is my memory at fault? :eek:

EDIT: Nope, you were right. WWDC 1998.
Old age, eh? :(

roger6106

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
I hope not. Why would they give up on it ? Insurmountable technical reasons or complete indifference to customers needs ?

I'm sure they'll have it eventually. Before Leopard came out they had sessions on preparing your apps for resolution independence, but now there's nothing. I hope they have something about it soon, or at least announce why it's taking them so long to add it.

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
As always, WWDC will be one of the main highlights of my calendar (along with Macworld and VSLive). It will be exciting to see what will be announced there. These are my predictions:

1. Obviously there will be much centered around iPhone/iPod Touch software. I think Apple will be trying to get software developers even more excited about the possibilities open to them with these new platforms. A large part of Apple's future success will be from using these platforms as a means to attract new customers.

2. There will also be news about Leopard's successor (10.6 or 11.0). I am almost certain of this. For Apple to make true on Steve Jobs claim of a 12-18 month development cycle between OS's, there would have to be an announcement about it at this years conference. Macworld isn't the appropriate venue for that type of announcement and waiting till next years WWDC would be too long. The next OS is already in development. Has been since at least last summer before Leopard was released. I don't expect much news about it. But there will be some.

3. The last major thing I think that will be announced will almost be like a roadmap of where Steve Jobs thinks computing is heading. Now this is just my opinion, (based off statements by Jobs, Bill Gates, and other industry people) so don't rip me apart completely. I think Jobs will reintroduce the idea of "cloud computing" and possibly a Mac and/or OS that will usher us into this era. I think he will get developers thinking about the idea of someday in the near future, developing for a different type of computer user. This would take mobile computing to new levels. But this is just my opinion.

1 and 2 will definitely happen while 3 is just something I don't expect but wouldn't be surprised to hear about. Now if Apple will just send me my session confirmations, I can have a good day.

MADADAM

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
????????????????????????????

Appleinsider claims that the current MacBook and MacBook Pro designs will be retired and are expected to see "major design changes" in their next revision.

The consumer MacBook line is expected to transition from plastic enclosures to aluminum and stainless steel, which are reportedly more "eco-friendly".

The MacBook Pro will share a similar design transition to bring it in line with existing iMac and MacBook Air designs.

Though precise details are admittedly limited given the ongoing revision process, it's presumed this will include instances of matte black on portions of the casings, oversized trackpads, and the adoption of the MacBook Air's keyboard by the MacBook.

Appleinsider points out that the MacBook has not seen a major case redesign since its introduction in May 2006. Meanwhile, the MacBook Pro continues to share a very similar design to the Aluminum PowerBook G4 which was introduced in 2003.

The new designs are expected to accompany the Montevina platform launch in June of this year. Montevina promises faster front-side bus speeds (1066MHz) over existing models (800MHz) and slightly faster Penryn processors (2.26-3.06GHz).

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nov 6, 2007
Is there a possibility that the new MB and MBP's we've been talking about come out at the WWDC? This is my first year following these things, and I am hoping they update before I buy my blackbook.

I just bought my first mac, a macbook white running Xp in parallels. got it at macmall. I could not be happier. If you want, why wait. I got sick of waiting on rumors of new updates and bought. And while I am still loading the software I have/bought I am just amazed by this machine. and as I uninstall software on my 2 year old dell, I just cannot help how the MAC has a clearer screen, and how XP looks so well old fashion.

As for the clearer screen part - I think it is particularly limited to OS X. while XP in parallels looks a little better than my dell, it is still not as nice as the mac os x interface. and functionality - man the machine is smart. 1/2 the things I used to do manually in Xp, MAC OS X recognizes it and does it for me (like starting up parallels if it detects I am working with a windows file that came from the USB or CD device. In windows, I manually have to start the VPC before I can work with hte files.

I LOVE MY MAC. I have no need to upgrade anytime soon.....

JasonK

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Eugene, OR
new macbook redesign made of aluminum????

I get the idea you want a new macbook ;) I doubt they announce redesigned hardware, not usually the focus. If anything they would release it on a random Tuesday possibly around the event and Steve can talk about how the "laptop line has never been better." Of course that is not true. (PB 12" I miss you)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'd like to come to WWDC, but I'm broke. :(

I remember when MacRumors & AppleInsider had stories about the invitations or whatever to WWDC, the invitation had a picture of San Francisco w/ 2 Golden Gate bridges w/ something about having 2 landmarks this year: 1 more iPhone 1 for Macs. iPhone landmark is obvious: the SDK. For Mac, not sure. I'm guessing either Mac OS X 10.6 or maybe even 11, or redesigned enclosures for all Macs. Dare I say, maybe even a minitower headless Mac? I don't know. We'll just have to wait & see. You know how secretive Apple is.

If they do announce a new version of the Mac OS, If they announce a new version of the Mac OS, don't know whether they'll drop PowerPC support. On the one hand, Power Mac G5s are a lot more powerful than the first Intel Macs (especially the Mac Mini). Yet, it would be a lot easier to develop software for just one platform. That way, we'd see new versions of the Mac OS quicker and/or more features added. Plus, that way, Apple could make you get a new computer if you want the new version of the OS. Sucks, but hey, that's business. I really don't know what will happen. We'll just have to see.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I predict Blu-Ray on the iPhone, plus new iPhone eSata connector, and nothing, absolutely nothing else for any other mac product.

Except maybe an iPhone Mini-Tower, a kind of xPhone if you will. It'll be the size of a shoebox and expandable with extra SDHC cards and the idea is you can sit on it, or put it in the boot of your car, or stand on it to make yourself even taller.

Yup, that's it.

sebastianlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
San Francisco
@arkitect

Everything, for one thing I can only imagine the horrible marketing (and the press headlines) involved with the words "King of the Jungle" when Lions don't even live in the Jungle! (They live on Savannas)

Also, they're the least beautiful of all the big cats and as such should only be used as an absolute last resort, Snow Leopards being the most beautiful and Tigers being the second most beautiful.

Also for some reason the Quote buttons are gone... :confused:

Edit: buttons are back, oh well.

Sebastian

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hopefully there isn't too much iPhone BS, there are still some issues to fix in Leopard. I know that iPhone 2.0 is "big" for a lot of people but Apple should still concentrate on their bread and butter applications and hardware.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I wanna go =(.

Too bad the amount of money it costs...I'd use it on a Macbook Air...even though I have a Pro...just cause I can XD.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I hope not. Why would they give up on it ? Insurmountable technical reasons or complete indifference to customers needs ?

They may have postponed resolution indepentence. I suspect for two reasons (1) it is really hard with so much code that uses "pixel" as a unit of measurement and (2) the LCD monitors that are required are way to expensive for Apple to successfully market.

This seems like a technolgy to keep on the back burnner for a couple more years

Brad Gamma

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
I don't see the iPhone being talked about at all at WWDC. It's been out for a year and it's been losing it's "sizzle."

iPhone supplies are low and carriers abroad are even offering discounts on the iPhones.

All signs point to the unpopularity of the iPhone and Apple picking itself up from an unsuccessful business venture and moving on to something else.

;)

I don't know if that wink meant you were joking, if you were then im sorry.

IMO though, the iPhone only truly got its "sizzle" when they showed off the SDK. I thought the iPhone was a rip off, but after watching the SDK conference video I now have £300 in savings ready to dump as soon as a 3G model comes out. If it can build a large library of great applications and still retain its famous polish, then I don't see what will stop it becoming huge (apart from pricing itself outside what a lot of people would spend on a phone, but we don't need everyone to get one). I'm really hoping they delve deeper and deeper into developing for the iPhone this WWDC.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
... Yet, it would be a lot easier to develop software for just one platform. That way, we'd see new versions of the Mac OS quicker

That will never happen. Remember there is an iPhone now. So there are now three platforms. While the iPhone does not run all of Mac OS X there is a lont of comon code.

There is also an advantage to keeping your code multi-platform. if forces you to be a bit more deciplined whichI think can reduce errors. Little things like always using sizeof() rather then a constant. It all adds up to beter code. The stuff I write has to work on Intel and SPARC and keepingit that way helps the overal code quality

ApplesSteveJobs

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
That might come later in June or in July, I don't think they'll update at WWDC because it'll just waste time on stage before they go into detail about the SDK again, how many apps are being launched with the store, new 2.0 features (that haven't been shown already such as contact search and saving images in MobileSafari), maybe a hardware update (3G) so the Macbook and Macbook Pro refresh would feel out of place, but that's OK, WWDC is about platforms, not products and the reason most developers are going is not the Keynote.

Sebastian

Then again remember the poster with the two bridges, going in two different directions.:D:D:D
:apple:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Hopefully there isn't too much...

We don't have to say "Hopefully", "I'd like" or "maybe they will..". Now we know. The schedule is in black and white for all to read. Looks like about 1/3rd of the conference is iPhone specific and at just a little over half is about subjects common to both mac and iPhone. Mac Specific topics are not the majority but it is only because the iPhone and Mac have so much overlap.

I think this is what the target audiance wants. Most already know at least some about the Mac but even by June would not have finished comming up to speed on the iPhone.

I think the best iPhone apps will be those that integrate with a server back in some data center. Could be something like say taxi cap dispatch where a driver gets his next ride from the iPhone display. The phone tells the central server where the car is and the driver then gets a list of pickups sorted by drive time from his location. I can think of a zillion other very specialized uses for the phone. I think the bulk of the iPhone developmnt effort will go into these kinds of apps that have small user bases

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
i hope they talk about leopard and fixing it. you remember leopard, that OS that runs on your computers apple? instead it will all be iphone specific. why make computers anymore right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.