Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on an updated version of Xcode that will include an AI tool for generating code, reports Bloomberg. The AI tool will be similar to GitHub Copilot from Microsoft, which can generate code based on natural language requests and convert code from one programming language to another.

apple-developer-app-feature.jpg

The Xcode AI tool will be able to predict and finish blocks of code, allowing developers to streamline their app creation process. Apple is now testing the functionality internally and plans to release it to third-party software developers "as early as this year."

Apple is also testing AI-generated code for testing apps, and has asked some engineers to try these features out internally.

The artificial intelligence capabilities added to Xcode will join several other AI features that Apple plans to add to Siri and other built-in apps. Some new features could include the option to generate playlists in Apple Music and create slideshows in Keynote, with Apple also working on improved Spotlight search capabilities. Search could encompass specific features in apps and might also provide responses to complex questions, with the feature built using large language models.

According to Bloomberg, Apple software chief Craig Federighi has asked employees to create as many new AI features as possible for iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS 15. Apple plans to introduce "a slew of new AI features," and iOS 18 will be marketed as one of the biggest updates to the iPhone since it launched. Some of the AI features will come to macOS, but Apple plans to "take a gradual approach to AI development" with some features not coming "for years."

Article Link: Apple Developing AI Tool to Help Developers Write Code for Apps

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I wonder how useful this will actually be... from personal experience, I've found AI is good at generating small snippets of code for specific tasks, but I wouldn't rely on it for anything larger or more complex, at least not without a lot of human guidance. 🤔

But then, asking an AI to do small things sure beats having to look up how to call specific functions and classes on the Apple Developer documentation website. Can't remember how to use NSFileManager with iCloud? The AI will do it for you. :cool:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Craig Federighi has asked employees to create as many new AI features as possible for iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS 15. Apple plans to introduce "a slew of new AI features"
I’m certain this will turn out great. This is a sure way to make the OS more coherent and reduce the number of bugs.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
well, if we get bug-free SW with the help of AI - then I'm all for that ...
Wait, aren't humans training AI?
/s

Reactions: Hildy

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
So if Apple AI writes portions of the code, then those portions are in theory Apple's IP and not that of the developer, correct?

I see a serious problem here...
Nah. We write code using Apple's language, using Apple IDE, for Apple devices. This is nothing more than a nice extension to code completion (that many thought would reduce the number of developers also.) Just another tool in our toolbox. Just like graphic designers being worked about AI creating these cliche looking logos we are starting to see. AI can recreate based on models. True creativity still rests in the hands of the developer and the artist (and according do Mr. Jobs.... those should be one and the same)

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I’m certain this will turn out great. This is a sure way to make the OS more coherent and reduce the number of bugs.
Yeah. It saddens me to say this because ever since I switched to iPhone, I have been looking forward to new iOS versions.
But with 17, I’ve had a number of small-ish issues and inconsistencies and annoyances that I’m somewhat worried that this mad dash to tick as many buzzword boxes as possible will not make for a great experience.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
"Oh no! I am a developer and I am going to get replaced!"

Can't wait to see those comments.

I hope this AI doesn't replace developers. I hope its a sidekick and I don't want AI writing all my code.
This was an interview Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of Nvidia gave in Saudi Arabia on the future of AI. His advice to future generations: don't go into software development (paraphrasing)

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
What is with the "all black outfit" these guys all try to pull off

Did Steve Jobs really have that level of impact on them all?

(I know -- it was just a black shirt with Steve ... I was more referring to just always been seen with one "look" -- black shirt/jeans in his case)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.