Apple Developing Custom Built-In SIM Card for iPhone?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 27, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GigaOM reports that Apple has partnered with digital security firm Gemalto to create a custom SIM card that would exist as a built-in chip inside the iPhone to allow users to activate their devices with a broad array of carriers without requiring extensive interactions directly with the carriers.
    The report notes that the new technology would be of most use in Europe, where there are many competitive carriers operating on similar technologies within a relatively compact geographic area.
    Sources for the report have indicated that executives from several French carriers have traveled to Apple's Cupertino headquarters in recent weeks to discuss the development, which could allow Apple to significantly simplify the iPhone sales and distribution process while offering customers the flexibility to easily activate service and switch carriers on their own.

Apple's iPhone currently utilizes a removable SIM card, issued by the user's carrier to allow the device to operate on its network.

Article Link: Apple Developing Custom Built-In SIM Card for iPhone?

2. The LPT macrumors regular

a way to possibly combat unauthorized unlocking?

3. Carthag macrumors newbie

Sounds stupid. Not sure how well that jibes with current EU interoperability laws.

4. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I don't like this idea at all. While it might save space and placement of the chip can be moved from the side to anywhere apple want.
    I do (very rarely but still do) sometimes take my sim out to use in another device. This just cripples this flexibility which is so useful and sometimes essential to my needs.

5. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

About time. SIM card and holder is old and clunky. Use the space for something better.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Presumably this would replace the existing SIM slot, which will cause issues if your "operator of choice" is not an Apple-approved one. I don't see this going down well in countries with multiple operators but only one with Apple's blessing (such as NZ, where iPhones are sold unlocked but Apple only provides a carrier bundle for Vodafone).

Edit: Now that I think about it, I wonder whether that would even be legal here. It would essentially result in the phone being locked to Vodafone.

7. bafonso macrumors member

Au contraire. It allows you the freedom to use whatever sim card you want wherever you are. This will not fly in europe or any country that enjoys a healthy amount of companies using GSM.

8. Salacion macrumors 6502a

I'm really liking the sound of this. One-rumor-step closer to a multi-carrier iPhone.

9. ukcolinr macrumors regular

Can't say I'm a big fan of this suggestion either :confused:

I use an O2 (Pay Monthly) SIM whilst in the UK, when I visit the US (pretty much weekly) I use an AT&T Go Phone SIM. I won't have this flexibility with a Built-In SIM :(

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

now you cant say Verizon! also it is still gsm i believe

11. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Apple knows what they're doing (with phones anyway).

12. akacaj macrumors regular

akacaj

This sounds like a very bad idea. Although I never take my sim card out I still like to know that I can.

13. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

An easier way to switch from AT&T to Verizon

((Don't lecture me on technology, its a joke))

14. paradox00 macrumors 65816

Like many things, this could be used for good or for evil, carriers will want to use it for evil.

15. akacaj macrumors regular

akacaj

Speaking of switching to verizon. Seeing as the demand for a verizon iPhone is so high I wonder why an external adapter hasnt been developed for the iPhone yet. I imagine such device to look like those external batteries but much smaller.

16. ciociosan macrumors member

ciociosan

i fail to see the benefits of this?
    i had enough trouble getting an unlock code from my swedish carrier prematurely (because i was accepted to a year of exchange studies in the netherlands), to be able to use a dutch sim card in my iphone. i would dread having to explain to my dutch carrier of choice that they need to provide me with a batch of code to program my built in sim with their carrier information. i can see the look of disbelief in their eyes before me.

dear god, apple, there is such a thing as too much 'innovation'. wanting to be groundbreaking doesn't necessarily mean you have to be common sensebreaking.

17. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Now thieves can't take out the SIM card. They'll have to turn it back on in a lead box or in some deep woods.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If true, this means that iPhone is going carrier free at point of sale. Get ready world, Apple is coming.

19. adomanico18 macrumors member

adomanico18

Whatever makes the network perform faster is fine with me.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It doesn't matter in the UK. The stolen phone's IMEI is blocked when reported so it won't work on any of UK networks.

21. theOtherGeoff macrumors regular

we don't know anything about this. It could allow the phone to be on multiple networks at the same time (or have a priority order). Or it could be apple's method of lock-in/control... not enough data.

But I like the fact that I go to an apple (or a Walmart), they activate the iphone by jumping on the local wifi, register with the carrier and assign the phone number. From a Stocking perspective, that makes HUGE benefits (I'd hate to 'run out' of tMobile SIMs at a store).

It would be cool for an end user to 'have an app' for getting on any carrier. Plan a trip, see where I'm going, determine what carriers are available, and set up my SIM card for the appropriate

In the end, I think it makes it EASIER for carrier interoperability. What it doesnt' allow for is having secondary SIMS in your pocket for more 'clandestine' calling ("Twern't my phone, officer!")

22. JohnnyLemonhead macrumors regular

Hmmm.....so let me get this straight:

I am supposed to believe that Steve Jobs and a myriad of wireless communications companies are going to engage in a massive conspiracy designed to give the consumer more freedom over how they use their own products and services?

Steve Jobs and cell phone service companies don't exactly have a great track record when it comes to giving consumers control over their own property. I will believe this one when I see it.

23. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

frequently swap my sim

Hmm... This may not work so well for me. I currently have a contract with AT&T, but when ever I travel to the UK I have an Orange sim that I swap in that's on a PAYG plan. I doubt I'd be able to switch over to a UK PAYG phone plan and switch back to my AT&T account as I currently do.

24. Iphtashu Fitz macrumors regular

This would be enough for me to no longer buy iPhones. I like the ability to swap SIM's in phones when necessary for a number of reasons.

25. BlackSmp macrumors member

I hope that you're joking...