Apple developing internal antenna insulator now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yankintx, Jul 15, 2010.

1. yankintx macrumors 6502

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple(AAPL) has a "fix" for the iPhone 4 antenna problem after all. Now the problem becomes how the company will handle the replacement or repairs of the three million phones already sold.

Ok..after reading this it appears an internal insulator part will be added. How the heck can apple actually handle a recall of all Iphone 4 phones sold.

My phone works great, probably because I am in a strong signal area, but since I sell my phone and upgrade each year, I absolutely will get apple to either fix the phone or replace it.
    Ifmi don't do this, I can see people not wanting to buy used iPhones next year unless proof that the new part is added, or that the phone was replaced with the new part.

What a mess. Anyone have idead on how this will be handled?...

2. RC83 macrumors 6502

It will take months for production to replace all defective iPhones. At least a hardware fix is coming

3. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I just hope they can repair phones for those of us who already have one, without swapping the entire device out. I feel lucky to have finally gotten one that has no cosmetic issues whatsoever, with the only flaw being the antenna problem. It took me two replacements to get to this point, and I don't relish the idea of having to go through multiple further replacements.

4. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

Can you possibly put a link to that article somewhere in this thread? I'd sure like to know where they got their information as Apple hasn't put out a press release and the press conference isn't until tomorrow.

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Good. Now we can all go back to complaining about light leaks and dust under the screen.

6. dffdce macrumors member

7. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

8. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Here you are.

(EDIT: Curses, too slow!)

9. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Unfortunately, apple done a good job at minimizing these issues, the antena and proximity sensor are all we have left. :p

11. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Damnit.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:49 PM PDT -
    View order details
    Not yet shipped
    Product Qty.
    IPHONE 4 BLACK 32GB-USA
    Custom configured
    Ships: Jul 21
    Delivers: Jul 26

What's going to happen to me?

12. tomashi macrumors regular

how is it very likely true? the guy has never been right in his predictions

13. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

Can't wait for the fanboy deflection of this. How possibly can you defend a phone that is getting recalled.

14. aluren macrumors 65816

A rubber bumper inside the phone... awesome...

15. yankintx thread starter macrumors 6502

It's on the macrumors.com home page!

16. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

I've gathered that at this point. When I wrote that post, it still hadn't shown up in my Google reader yet. I'm still skeptical though, as the source's track record is less than stellar.

17. iphonetester macrumors member

If it is true, then yeah - something of that nature. Actually, some of the new Droid phones have several antennas inside to switch back and forth depending on the strength of signal or orientation to cell tower. Problem here is the space inside the phone. As Steve showed, IP4 is packed to its guts, so adding extra piece of hardware regardless how small it is might be problematic.

Another headache looming is how to recall/replace/fix the problem for existing owners. I bet no one wants to stand in another endless line to do the swap. But I am not sure how else this can be done

18. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Assuming they are actually going to fix the phones for those of us who bought pre-insulator .... that much is not yet known.

19. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

If we get a fix, or a new phone, how are we screwed? Your tears are salty....

20. iPadztr macrumors 6502

ya.. instead of criticizing the early adopters, they should be thankful because early adopters basically beta tested the product. This actually will help all the future purchaser. Thank goodness for all the early adopters.

21. Khryz macrumors 6502a

If there's a voluntary recall, and the process is tiresome and a hassle, I'm in no rush at all. I'll wait until it's easier to do so.

With skins and a Bumper on it doesn't affect me.

22. yankintx thread starter macrumors 6502

Whiner....Take the phone back for a refund...I dare ya!

23. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

If this is true, then I hope they make damn sure it works!

24. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

It's the risk of being an early adopter:rolleyes:.

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

This.

I hope this report is true, and I'll definitely get my iPhone replaced once the newer revision is available, but I'm not really in a big rush.