Apple Developing Its Own MicroLED Displays for Future Devices

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has a secret manufacturing facility in Santa Clara, California, where it is designing and producing test samples of its own displays, reports Bloomberg. The company is reportedly using MicroLED technology in an effort to replace Samsung's OLED displays in future devices.

[​IMG]
    Apple's MicroLED facility in Santa Clara (Bloomberg)
    Apple's desire to expand its supply chain beyond Samsung has been extensively rumored, with Apple reportedly spending billions of dollars to help LG get its own OLED production up to speed and LG displays rumored to be making their way into this year's "iPhone X Plus" device.

Looking beyond OLED, many believe MicroLED will be the next display technology to appear in mobile devices, and Apple's interest in the technology was revealed in its acquisition of MicroLED firm LuxVue back in 2014. Apple has reportedly been working to first bring MicroLED to the Apple Watch, with some rumors pointing to that happening as soon as this year.

Bloomberg's report suggests, however, that it will likely be a few years until Apple's MicroLED displays will appear in shipping products, perhaps two years for the Apple Watch and three to five years for the iPhone. Apple will likely also outsource full-scale production of the displays.
    Apple had reportedly been working on MicroLED display technology at an R&D center in Taiwan, but late last year the company was reported to have scaled back its efforts at that center. In light of today's news, it's possible Apple elected to concentrate its efforts at a facility closer to its headquarters.

Article Link: Apple Developing Its Own MicroLED Displays for Future Devices

2. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Yeah but can microLED individually turn off per pixel, offering extreme contrast and crushing deep blacks?

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If Apple can pull this off, it should mean better quality at a lower end cost (at least I hope so).

4. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Yes. It has all the benefits of LCD and all the benefits of OLED. It is vastly superior technology.

5. TheGoog macrumors member

Yes.

6. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Expect to see more of this. Apple's competitive advantage will increasingly be hardware-based and in order to maintain that advantage they need to develop hardware that their rivals can't copy.

7. Glockworkorange macrumors 6502a

Glockworkorange

Makes sense. Control the whole stack. Is screen tech the last major hurdle for them to control the whole thing?

8. TheGoog macrumors member

Except Samsung have a head start on MicroLED. They showed off a 146” MicroLED TV this year and have reported to have their mobile screen variations well under development.

Given Samsung’s history of pushing display technologies in the mobile space well before others, I wouldn’t be surprised to see MicroLED in a Galaxy device first. After that it will be the usual pissing match of who does it better.

9. Tech198 macrumors G5

lol... dam.. it was going well (till i read that last part)

10. -BigMac- macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

Proprietary MicroLED technology. Nowww we’re talking! this is massive!!

Inb4 ‘Best monitors 2020’

11. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Maybe in this particular instance, but my larger point was to expect to see this continue. Apple has a lead in other hardware areas (cameras and A-series processors come to mind along with increased emphasis on chips that specialize in computations focused on ML).

12. Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

Yes, all these advantages. And in addition, a modified pixel arrangement for more detailed contour display and best battery utilization and (which is why Appe hesitated for a long time with OLEDs) brilliant color fidelity.

13. Keirasplace macrumors 601

It wasn't really microled, why? because it was 146 fracking inches. Got that. Samsung was blowing smoke.
    a microled display would have been 14 inch with the same resolution.
    Yeah, Samsung are bS artists.

14. cmaier macrumors G4

Yes

15. I7guy macrumors G5

Seems like the facility is not so secret anymore. But this is interesting news. Wonder if this will cut out the asian supply chain, corporate leakers, from at least this effort?

16. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

The less dependant Apple are on LG to provide them with anything, the better we will be as a species.

17. Heineken macrumors 6502

Heineken

Apple didn't start working on it yesterday you know?

18. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

But who's gonna manufacture it on a large scale? Is Apple finally prepared to actually build a factory to build a part of their devices?

All the billions in the world, yet they still rely on others making parts.

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Excellent question. I would like to see Apple bring back jobs to the U.S. I am not going to hold my breath.

20. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

Apple has enough cash in the bank to develop all of their own components.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Contract manufacturing is about maximizing profits. There's no financial advantage for Apple manufacturing anything. There are many disadvantages. Manufacturing is cost intensive.

22. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

That's historically been true, but Asian car companies are now making cars in America more than not. Today's automation and tax changes in the U.S. now make that something to lookin into at least. Doesn't mean Apple won't ultimately subcontract the technology out to Asia, but it doesn't mean they won't start here.

But with many Apple rumored advances, I cannot help but remember the Sapphire Glass debacle. That sure didn't work out well for anybody.

23. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

Thats fine, but that's all they do, is profit profit profit... Yeah, I realize its what the shareholders want, but Apple should aspire to have a little independence from its suppliers.

I still wonder why Samsung didn't cut off Apple's supply of ARM chips they were producing for them, when Apple sued them. That would have crippled Apple bigtime, even though they would have sued Samsung for it... But it would have taught them a lesson, don't bite the hand that feeds you, even though they are your biggest rival.

24. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Will this eliminate PWM? My eyes, head, and sanity can’t take another Apple product with the dreaded tech.