Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a report today focused on an unactivated temperature/humidity sensor in the HomePod mini, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman briefly mentioned that Apple has "been developing new speakers with screens and cameras."

google-nest-hub-max.jpg

This reporting suggests that Apple could be at least exploring the idea of new HomePod models with a display and camera to compete with the likes of Google's Nest Hub Max, Amazon's Echo Show, and Facebook's Portal, but Gurman cautions that "a launch isn't imminent," so there is no guarantee that Apple will release such a product.

Google's Nest Hub Max, for example, is equipped with a 10-inch touchscreen that can also be controlled by voice with Google Assistant. The Nest Hub Max allows users to view daily info like the weather and calendar appointments, stream video from Netflix and other sources with built-in Chromecast, play music through the stereo speaker system, make video calls using the built-in 6.5-megapixel camera, control smart home accessories, and more.

The Nest Hub Max also functions as a "smart digital picture frame" for photo albums, and it can display a live video feed from Nest cameras and video doorbells, making it suitable for a kitchen countertop or bedside table.

Apple's camera-equipped HomePod would presumably offer similar functionality like FaceTime video calling and HomeKit integration if it ever comes to market.

Earlier this month, Apple announced that it is discontinuing the full-size HomePod and shifting its focus to the HomePod mini. Gurman said that Apple still lacks a "unifying strategy" for the smart home market, with some people within the company apparently blaming the lack of progress on Siri's shortcomings compared to Google Assistant and Alexa. Whether new HomePod models with screens and cameras come to fruition remains to be seen.

Article Link: Apple Developing New 'HomePod' Models With Screens and Cameras

shawngt2

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Apple, my lord...Why do you have to be so late in the game?This will likely take them a good 1-2 years to develop and by that time there is new tech and people moved on and you have to cancel that too. Like making a mini HomePod should have been the FIRST product years ago. I love my large HomePod, but it was quite frustrating to not be able to expand all around the house without a significant footprint and high price...The entire HomePod team needs a shuffle and head shake.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Precisely why I resisted the urge to buy up a discontinued HomePod or two, I want to wait to see what's next, if anything. Until then, loving the 2 mini's I have and will probably snag another.

Reactions: zed1291

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
A HomePod with an iPad attached. It will be expensive undoubtedly, but nothing is going to work for them until they improve Siri. When you compare the abilities of Google assistant to Siri, Siri is hands down in beta still. They dropped the ball there, to th epoint that I don;t think they can catch up.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
This makes sense - Apple won't simply discontinue their full size smart speaker without a replacement. They are about as likely to discontinue the iPad or the Watch, in my opinion.

Voice is the future of computing, and a decade from now, there will more HomePod SKUs, not fewer.

ceriess

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
What a bunch of drivel. We already have too many screens.

In a report today focused on an unactivated temperature/humidity sensor in the HomePod mini, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman briefly mentioned that Apple has "been developing new speakers with screens and cameras."

google-nest-hub-max.jpg

This reporting suggests that Apple could be at least exploring the idea of new HomePod models with a display and camera to compete with the likes of Google's Nest Hub Max, Amazon's Echo Show, and Facebook's Portal, but Gurman cautions that "a launch isn't imminent," so there is no guarantee that Apple will release such a product.

Google's Nest Hub Max, for example, is equipped with a 10-inch touchscreen that can also be controlled by voice with Google Assistant. The Nest Hub Max allows users to view daily info like the weather and calendar appointments, stream video from Netflix and other sources with built-in Chromecast, play music through the stereo speaker system, make video calls using the built-in 6.5-megapixel camera, control smart home accessories, and more.

The Nest Hub Max also functions as a "smart digital picture frame" for photo albums, and it can display a live video feed from Nest cameras and video doorbells, making it suitable for a kitchen countertop or bedside table.

Apple's camera-equipped HomePod would presumably offer similar functionality like FaceTime video calling and HomeKit integration if it ever comes to market.

Earlier this month, Apple announced that it is discontinuing the full-size HomePod and shifting its focus to the HomePod mini. Gurman said that Apple still lacks a "unifying strategy" for the smart home market, with some people within the company apparently blaming the lack of progress on Siri's shortcomings compared to Google Assistant and Alexa. Whether new HomePod models with screens and cameras come to fruition remains to be seen.

Article Link: Apple Developing New 'HomePod' Models With Screens and Cameras

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs
Rumored for the HomePod Max. It’s supposed to have a small exterior screen to where you can text and pretty much use it like an iPod Touch because of how small it’s going to be. Think of it like a Google Home Mini in a rectangle with a screen on it.

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs
Rumored for the HomePod Max. It’s supposed to have a small exterior screen to where you can text and pretty much use it like an iPod Touch because of how small it’s going to be. Think of it like a Google Home Mini in a rectangle with a screen on it.

Attachments

• B79C051E-CE8D-42F9-B9D7-BC5DFAD3BA48.jpeg
    B79C051E-CE8D-42F9-B9D7-BC5DFAD3BA48.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 167

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
Effing fix Siri.

Cue those who say it works all the time for them. I call BS.
I have Alexas at home and CarPlay in my car. Whenever I ask Siri anything it says it can’t show it to me when I’m driving. Does the HomePod do something similar? Does it say it has no screen so can’t answer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.