Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I wish I had a nickel for every time somebody tossed this old trope onto the MR forums…..

its a good trope...it reminds Apple they are off the path. There is a reason why Apple product is not like Lenovo, Dell, Acer, or HP.

thera

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
question is if to buy HP or wait to another “hi-fi” model w/o display. I have not got it at home yet. In europe it costs 330 euro, but I would pay it if it is (will be forever) best smart speaker for music

thera

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
question is if to buy HP or wait to another “hi-fi” model w/o display. I have not got it at home yet. In europe it costs 330 euro, but I would pay it if it is (will be forever) best smart speaker for music

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Make it a WiFi router.. bring back AirPort.

I remember when I originally bought the Google wifi range extenders, I thought they were also google home devices. They launched at the exact same time, and I felt like it was a huge missed opportunity.

Reactions: furou

AEWest

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2019
I don't think Apple should come out with a Nest type product and try to out-Google or out-Amazon those companies - it won't work. They need to focus.

They need to focus on a part of the home that they have an advantage - audio (Apple Music) and video (Apple + streaming, and people's home movies on their iphones).

Those two areas can converge on one spot - a soundbar for the television. It would double as a music player and AppleTV/Siri. Not an $800 high end Bar, but a smaller but good sounding soundbar along the lines of a Sonos Beam for $400 so that many people would buy it because TVs now have such crappy speakers. It could use the TV to display things like calendar and recipes, etc.

Imagine Siri being good enough to instantly retrieve and play back Aunt Mabel's 80th birthday party video from your iPhone through quick command to the soundbar and displayed instantly on the attached TV.

Then after the video is over, having Aunt Mabel's favourite Lawrence Welk music played on soundbar through Apple Music.

This soundbar could be the base for connected new smaller Homepod 2s throughout the house.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Any investor in Apple prays they stay off the path you are proposing.
the path that was set by the guy who turned the company from bankruptcy to $300 Billion at his death? then took them all the way to $2T using same methods? hmmmm....

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
the path that was set by the guy who turned the company from bankruptcy to $300 Billion at his death? then took them all the way to $2T using same methods? hmmmm....
You said Apple is off the path. If this is what “off the path” looks like then I hope they never step foot on a path again!

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I didn't wait. Late last year, I picked up a Google/Nest Hub Max to support the Nest IQ cam and the Doorbell. It all works great, and the associated iOS app. I just purchased a pre-order of the Nest Hub V.2 for another area. I like Google Assistant when used with an integrated display. I prefer my multiple HomePods for music.

Last edited:

21Southwick

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
The District
Honestly for me the HomePod has been a let down. It often misses the commands for HomeKit controls. I think it is a brilliant speaker but the Siri controls have been very subpar. Now I will admit that there could be an issue with my setup for HomeKit (and honestly this is mostly apple's fault.) I have more than one original HomePod. I have 4 in total (two stereo pairs) and 3 minis. I have noticed that since you cannot designate which HomePod you want to be the "Home Hub" many times the furtherest one from my router will be "in charge" so of course there is going to be connection issues despite having excellent wifi signal in my home (Wifi 6 and a strong, wired mesh network.) If the Home App would simply allow me to make my Living room 4K Apple TV (which is hard wired) be the HomeKit hub I think there would be less issues. There is tons of potential with the ecosystem but it seems to be on the back burner. I really hope Apple puts some serious resources behind the HomeKit experience with iOS/etc 15. I love the high security but it is falling behind in quality control.

AEWest

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2019
Its off the path with the HomePod which they themselves discontinued, so....
Yeah, the Homepod was a quirky stand alone product that really didn't seem to have a clear purpose. Audiophile speaker for Apple Music? Not really, since when it was introduced it couldn't even stereo pair. Audiophiles want stereo. Party speaker? No. No battery for portability, no Bluetooth.
Smart speaker for Homekit/Siri? Too expensive at $350.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Siri's main problem is that it was never well defined. What is it supposed to be? A way to interact with existing Apple services like Music and TV+? A Star Trek computer forerunner to answer all your historical and trivia questions? An entertaining and fun companion? A digital assistant to take care of mundane household tasks like scheduling and ordering?

Any product that remains undefined is going to be a murky mess and do nothing well. I doubt the Siri team has clear guidance on success metrics if they cannot define what their product is supposed to be. I don't blame them or flame them - it's a product with almost limitless potential, but what's the next most important thing to build into Siri? Who knows?

Secondarily, how does Apple monetize Siri? At this point, with a two trillion dollar valuation, Apple needs new services and products that have a clear path to generate tens of billions in revenue. There aren't that many opportunities to generate that much revenue, which is why I think they canned HomePod Big Boy and AirPods Max may be limited. Those markets are just too small.

I don't see how Siri can generate that much cash either. We're not going to pay a subscription fee for a better Siri at this point and they cannot monetize it with ads. It's probably seen within Apple as "we have to be in the game for speech assistants, but we don't have to win the game."
Apple may well feel that they just want to be “in the game”, but don’t have to win it. But if that is true, then I strongly disagree. If they are so shortsighted that they don’t understand the game changing importance of machine learning and having a virtual assistant that operates much more comprehensively and intuitively, then heaven help Apple. At a certain point, being tied to the worst AI Virtual Assistant will be the boat anchor around their necks that pulls the whole ship down. In the future, tour guides will lead groups of people over the wreckage site and say “here lies the biggest hardware company in the world, who forgot they were a software company too...”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.