Apple Developing New TV Show Based on Bestselling Novel 'Pachinko'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has secured the rights to create a new TV series based on Min Jin Lee's bestselling 2017 novel "Pachinko," reports Variety.

"Pachinko," a National Book Award finalist, chronicles the lives of four generations of a poor Korean immigrant family as they migrate to and establish a life in Japan.

The story begins in 1911 with the birth of Sunja, who becomes involved with a married yakuza, falling pregnant and facing ruin in her small village. The town's minister offers her a new life in Japan as his wife, where she is alone, lost, and unable to speak the language. The book then follows the Sunja's family through eight decades and four generations.

The TV adaptation of "Pachinko" will be written and produced by Soo Hugh, who will also serve as showrunner. Hugh has previously worked on "The Terror," "The Whispers," "Under the Dome," and "The Killing."

"Pachinko" is just one of more than a dozen original television shows Apple has in the works, several of which are based on novels.

It's not yet clear how Apple will distribute its TV shows, but the Cupertino company is rumored to be considering launching a new streaming video service that would perhaps be bundled with an Apple Music subscription and a digital magazine and news subscription.

Rumors have suggested the first of Apple's TV shows could debut in March 2019, and several of them are indeed in the casting phase and could begin filming in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Developing New TV Show Based on Bestselling Novel 'Pachinko'

Reactions: Schnegg

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Fascinating content choice, but I am leery only because I though Under the Dome was kind of bad. The Killing was better, but this one could go either way. I hope we end up with The Joy Luck Club rather than Memoirs of a Geisha.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
So is Apple going to be supplementing this service with access to older network TV shows? Or is it only going to be new content they’re funding? I think it will be harder to sell that as a stand alone service.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Apple should probably stick with updating it's aging hardware platform. What's with these weird ass tv shows and Apple? Carpool Karaoke .. need I say more? It's like Disney saying they're going to make a horror film. They can't. It's Disney!

Either do it all in and stop piece meal BS or don't do it at all.

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Fascinating content choice, but I am leery only because I though Under the Dome was kind of bad. The Killing was better, but this one could go either way. I hope we end up with The Joy Luck Club rather than Memoirs of a Geisha.
To be fair, Hugh's credit on Under The Dome as a writer is only for one episode. There's not much that could have been done to save that show in 42 minutes:) I hear The Terror was excellent bu I haven't watched it yet. Interesting many of the credits are sci-fi/horror in some way.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
So is Apple going to be supplementing this service with access to older network TV shows? Or is it only going to be new content they’re funding? I think it will be harder to sell that as a stand alone service.
If it’s a paid service, which I expect, it’s going to have to offer a lot more than just their original content.

Could be a combination of their content with other TV and/or theatrical content like Netflix/Amazon Prime/HBO Go/Hulu. Could be they’re going to offer it alongside an over-the-top (OTT) service like Sling/DirecTV Now/YouTube TV/PlayStation Vue/Hulu Live. (I’d guess their original content will also be bundled free as a sweetener for Apple Music for another nail in the coffin of Spotify.)

I do think Apple is interested in OTT, so I think Hulu Live is the likely model for Apple’s offering. Various bundles with other media offerings; magazines, music, probably books, maybe news.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Keeping it safe for the global audience.

Sucks.
Agree...but over half the world's population is Asian.
So there is THAT angle.
Expect to see less and less content for (or featuring) white people. We are a dying breed to the TV/Ad/Movie industry.
Even my beloved SuperHero franchises are becoming more diverse :(

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Apple should probably stick with updating it's aging hardware platform. What's with these weird ass tv shows and Apple? Carpool Karaoke .. need I say more? It's like Disney saying they're going to make a horror film. They can't. It's Disney!

Either do it all in and stop piece meal BS or don't do it at all.
I'm not a big fan of them expanding as a media outlet either, but let's be honest, they have too much money to just keep doing hardware.

I personally would like for them to start getting into ISP, but that's just too much overhead for them :), plus they already killed their airport extreme, shame on them.
[doublepost=1533669528][/doublepost]
Agree...but over half the world's population is Asian.
So there is THAT angle.
Expect to see less and less content for (or featuring) white people. We are a dying breed to the TV/Ad/Movie industry.
Even my beloved SuperHero franchises are becoming more diverse :(
Asian markets are starting to pick up for the first time due to increasing middle class and money in those countries/markets. But I agree white culture is also dying; at least for now. I'm sure it'll be at least partially resurrected culturally in another 60-80 years or so.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
So inconvenient when the woman you are seeing on the side ends up "falling pregnant."

"I just slipped and ended up siting on it."