Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Macs and iPads continue to have the highest customer satisfaction score among PC and tablet makers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index's new 2018 Household Appliance and Electronics Report.

Apple earned an ACSI score of 83 in 2018, the same score that it had last year, remaining in the lead over Amazon, Samsung, ASUS, HP, Lenovo, and more.

acsiapplescore-800x476.jpg

According to the ACSI, Apple's machines earned best-in-class ratings across "nearly every aspect of the customer experience" from device design to features and available apps.

Apple earned the highest score despite the fact that much of its Mac and iPad lineup has yet to be refreshed in 2018. We are awaiting refreshed iPad Pro models with major upgrades like an edge-to-edge design with slimmer bezels and Face ID, along with updates to the MacBook, Mac mini, and other machines.

Based on ASCI's numbers, Amazon is closing in on Apple with an ASCI score of 82, with customers satisfied with design, ease of operation, and sound/graphics quality on the company's line of tablets.

Samsung tied with Amazon, also earning a score of 82. Samsung also scores well across the customer experience, but can't match Apple on features that include operating system, preloaded apps, and data storage.

According to the American Customer Satisfaction Index, overall customer satisfaction with personal computers (a category that includes laptops, desktop machines, and tablets) continues to earn a score of 77 on the ACSI scale.

Smartphones outpaced personal computers in customer satisfaction back in 2014, and customers continue to be more satisfied with their handheld devices, using them for more tasks that had previously been limited to computers.

Among PC owners, desktop machines earned the highest overall satisfaction score, followed by tablets and then laptops. Just 17 percent of respondents to the ACSI survey purchased a desktop computer in the last year, but customer satisfaction grew 4 percent. Satisfaction with tablets also grew 4 percent, while laptop satisfaction declined.

acsisatisfactionbydevice-800x447.jpg

To create its scoring system and compile device scores, the ACSI uses data from interviews with approximately 250,000 customers each year, analyzing customer satisfaction with more than 380 companies across 46 industries.

Article Link: Apple Devices Earn Highest Customer Satisfaction Score Among PC and Tablet Makers

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I hope I get polled in one of these surveys. I have spent 6 days with FaceID and am sick of seeing this 10 times a day:

a3It3hV.jpeg

CD4DKrv.jpeg

oO8hw5g.jpeg

In every scenario that I'm not holding my iPhone, I can't unlock it. This is a huge regression from TouchID and if Apple wants less screen time, they're getting it because I just give up and do something else.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Wait, Amazon makes PCs?
[doublepost=1537881112][/doublepost]
I hope I get polled in one of these surveys. I have spent 6 days with FaceID and am sick of seeing this 10 times a day:

a3It3hV.jpeg

CD4DKrv.jpeg

oO8hw5g.jpeg

In every scenario that I'm not holding my iPhone, I can't unlock it. This is a huge regression from TouchID and if Apple wants less screen time, they're getting it because I just give up and do something else.

This is exactly why I switched back to a 6 digit ping. FaceID is way to inconsistent when unlocking my phone compared to TouchID.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
35 dollar ****** tablets

I guess they get high marks, cause they're mostly kindles and they do absolutely nothing other then display text on screen. Kinda hard to screw that up. And the other tablets are pretty much just toddler distraction devices.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I guess they get high marks, cause they're mostly kindles and they do absolutely nothing other then display text on screen. Kinda hard to screw that up. And the other tablets are pretty much just toddler distraction devices.
Right tool for the right job. Customers purchased them to do exactly what they do. That's why the sat rating is so high.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011

a3It3hV.jpeg

CD4DKrv.jpeg

oO8hw5g.jpeg

Maybe a trip to the Genius Bar for some help is in order?

I've never seen what you posted using my X for the last nine months. FaceId for me just works, and much better than TouchID.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011

This Xs is my first Face ID device and i set it up late friday night while half drunk in a dark restaurant, and it's been working fine for me ever since. Maybe once per day have to type in passcode after it's been charging, although this morning when i woke up it never asked....

(i took my glasses off to set it up, and have had them on every time i've used it)

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Maybe a trip to the Genius Bar for some help is in order?

I've never seen what you posted using my X for the last nine months. FaceId for me just works, and much better than TouchID.

Nearest Genius Bar is 2 hours away. The FaceID even fails when I'm yawning, laying in bed, back down in bed, in the car, at my desk, everywhere. I have to have the phone perfectly in front of my face for it to work. Maybe I add a few dozen alternative faces and hope it works then? I'm not sure how many alternatives are allowed.

I put together some thoughts here yesterday and I keep thinking I jus need to adapt to FaceID but I would prefer TouchID return - http://adamchandler.me/blog/2018/09/24/technology-my-customer-sat-and-iphone-xs-watch-series-4/

Reactions: AleRod

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Nearest Genius Bar is 2 hours away. The FaceID even fails when I'm yawning, laying in bed, back down in bed, in the car, at my desk, everywhere. I have to have the phone perfectly in front of my face for it to work. Maybe I add a few dozen alternative faces and hope it works then? I'm not sure how many alternatives are allowed.

I put together some thoughts here yesterday and I keep thinking I jus need to adapt to FaceID but I would prefer TouchID return - http://adamchandler.me/blog/2018/09/24/technology-my-customer-sat-and-iphone-xs-watch-series-4/

Something is probably wrong with your device. For most of us it just works. N particular, compared to my X, my max often recognizes me before I even get it into the “right” position (the one I am used to from my X)

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

I don’t think you can add alternative faces.

Regardless, I also have this problem as well, so you are not the only one. The people who love Face ID overshadow the ones that don’t. I usually have to enter my pin when I am:

- laying in bed on my side (9 out of 10 I have to enter)
- iPhone laying flat on the table (duh)
- if I don’t angle the iPhone correctly
- if Face ID fails to scan my face a few times while I’m casually tilting it

It could simple be my face is just not as sharp as others. Face ID works when I deliberately want to activate it. It works 50% of the time when I casually activate it.

Reactions: adamjackson

dirtylilhobo

macrumors demi-god
Oct 16, 2014
Southwest USA
FaceId for the iPhone X has been annoying because, unlike touchId, it requires lighting conditions that may not be available so I’ll get the “Face Not Recognized” message..

I want that home button back with the touch id, that worked really well..

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

Regardless, I also have this problem as well, so you are not the only one. The people who love Face ID overshadow the ones that don’t. I usually have to enter my pin when I am:

It could simple be my face is just not as sharp as others. Face ID works when I deliberately want to activate it. It works 50% of the time when I casually activate it.
You can add a second face.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I imagine if a PC maker wants to score higher marks on the survey, they should stop including whatever software they do now and instead include a competent office suite and creation programs.

They could include Word, Powerpoint, and Excel, plus Photoshop, Maya, and whatever Adobe has for music and video.
Or they could go with open source alternatives - Open Office, Gimp, Blender, etc...

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

You have a defective device. Exchange it. It’s not going to repair itself.

But if your point is FaceID fails when you’re not holding your phone and therefore you want TouchID back, save yourself the trouble and buy an iPhone 7 or 8, or a phone from another manufacturer. Apple won’t be bringing back TouchID.

Last edited:

The_Grifter

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2015

**** tablets that people apparently love just about as well as Apple **** products.

I have a Kindle Fire HD8 and it's great. Nothing wrong with it. Perfect form factor and screen for reading books and magazines. Perfect for watching movies and TV on planes. Great battery. Mark is right, Amazon makes a tablet that I love just as well as I love my Apple products.

Reactions: AleRod

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
FaceId for the iPhone X has been annoying because, unlike touchId, it requires lighting conditions that may not be available so I’ll get the “Face Not Recognized” message..

I want that home button back with the touch id, that worked really well..

FaceID on my X works in lighting conditions from *total* absolute darkness to full sun. And it's very quick. I'm guessing it might have trouble with light generated from a nuclear detonation.

What "lighting condition" does it not work for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: D.T.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008

Yep, I have the exact same scenarios failing and I've already turned off "attention required" so I don't have to stare at the device. I keep my house like a cave.black-out curtains, limited lighting and I funnily enough, don't have any light switches so I use HomeKit for everything in my house..literally every device is on HomeKit so having to authenticate to lock my doors when the house is dark or turn the AC on or ceiling fan sucks because FaceID fails in the dark :p. Luckily, Apple Watch doesn't require I authenticate so I'm just using that more.

Reactions: ipponrg

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yep, I have the exact same scenarios failing and I've already turned off "attention required" so I don't have to stare at the device. I keep my house like a cave.black-out curtains, limited lighting and I funnily enough, don't have any light switches so I use HomeKit for everything in my house..literally every device is on HomeKit so having to authenticate to lock my doors when the house is dark or turn the AC on or ceiling fan sucks because FaceID fails in the dark :p. Luckily, Apple Watch doesn't require I authenticate so I'm just using that more.
Faceid works fine in the dark. It uses its own infrared light source. You may want to get your device checked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.