Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

had0ukenn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Ever since we got this new router, model# 5031NV from pace gateway, the two macbooks in our apartment have trouble loading websites or even refreshing them 50% of the time. The blue bar on the url space just stops third of the way through and when we click refresh it does nothing.

The macbooks pro's we're using are the early 2011 and the mid 2012 (both have Integrated 802.11a/b/g/n (BCM4331 3 × 3 chipset) . The same thing sometimes happens with my iphone 5. The internet we have is the 24 mbp/s with ATT Uverse. The previous 2wire router didnt seem to cause this problem. I should also mention that we just switched out the pace 5031nv for another 5031nv and it still causes the same problems.

I feel like the settings of the router may be the cause of this problem, is there a better router you guys know of that i can use with ATT's Uverse? Any way i can solve this problem by tinkering around with the interface of the modem? Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

had0ukenn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
I am not too familiar with the airport models. Do they just act as a router? I was looking into it but unsure how i would set it up with the uverse router. However, the problem with connection seems to be more than just apple devices, my ps3 has trouble staying connected wirelessly to the router.

Asifasim22

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Had the same problem with att last year the uverse software is not 100% compatible with is OS X. You have to Change your DNS server to a google one or else the pages will load funny and if you do that you'll have change it back to default whenever you're on wifi outside of your home . It really is a hassle and I know it's not what you want to hear but if comcast is available in your area get it. The uverse will be a pan for your apple devices , you won't load pages or videos right without changing up all your DNS settings on every device and every time you go and leave home

----------

If att is the only provider in your apartment complex use this as a guide or search google for threads about this issue they have plenty because it's a huge problem .

http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/for...age-id/2484/print-single-message/false/page/1

You'll still be stuck toggling your DNS settings everytime you come to and from your apartment ,

had0ukenn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Had the same problem with att last year the uverse software is not 100% compatible with is OS X. You have to Change your DNS server to a google one or else the pages will load funny and if you do that you'll have change it back to default whenever you're on wifi outside of your home . It really is a hassle and I know it's not what you want to hear but if comcast is available in your area get it. The uverse will be a pan for your apple devices , you won't load pages or videos right without changing up all your DNS settings on every device and every time you go and leave home

----------

If att is the only provider in your apartment complex use this as a guide or search google for threads about this issue they have plenty because it's a huge problem .

http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/for...age-id/2484/print-single-message/false/page/1

You'll still be stuck toggling your DNS settings everytime you come to and from your apartment ,

Thanks Asif, i dont think this is what i have to do though. Ive had ATT for awhile now and it worked fine on the previous modem/router (2Wire 3801 HGV). I feel like i might have to mess with the settings of my current router (pace 5031nv) to port forward or change its channel frequency. I hope i dont need to change DNS settings everytime, that sounds like a pain.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I am not too familiar with the airport models. Do they just act as a router? I was looking into it but unsure how i would set it up with the uverse router. However, the problem with connection seems to be more than just apple devices, my ps3 has trouble staying connected wirelessly to the router.

Airport is just a fancy name for a wireless router. That is it.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

It sounds like something else is going on there, but have you noticed a relationship between your PS3 being powered on/off and the internet dropping? A while back there was some weird configuration setting on my PS3 or router that every time I would turn on/off my PS3 the internet would drop, often, but not always, requiring a full reset of the modem.

had0ukenn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Airport is just a fancy name for a wireless router. That is it.

Ahh, thank you. Would you happen to know how an individual might be able to connect the AirPort to their already existing router?

It sounds like something else is going on there, but have you noticed a relationship between your PS3 being powered on/off and the internet dropping? A while back there was some weird configuration setting on my PS3 or router that every time I would turn on/off my PS3 the internet would drop, often, but not always, requiring a full reset of the modem.

I see what you are saying, however, the problem is not related to whether or not my PS3 is on or off. The connection problem still persists either way. Thank you for your input, though.

Its getting really frustrating now, not quite sure what to do. I certainly cant be the only one with this problem here =/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.