Apple did a good thing by dropping the "i"

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by leolatarc, Mar 13, 2015.

1. leolatarc macrumors newbie

Apple made the right move by dropping the "i" from the watch and calling it the Apple Watch instead. People are so used to the "i" being there, that they still call it the iWatch.

There was a time when the "i" actually had meaning (such as standing for internet for the original iMac) but Apple continued to run with it to keep things simple.

I think it was a sign that Apple was moving on from that era. In some ways, a way for Tim Cook to declare to the world that this was his version of Apple.

What are your thoughts?

2. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

They didn't choose to go with something other than "iWatch," they had to. "iWatch" is a trademark of another company.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Originally the "i" did stand for internet but at some point Apple changed the meaning to mean personal. iPod, iPhone, iPad, iLife, iTunes are all personal use product. Something like the Apple TV is living room product meant to be shared amongst the family.

The iWatch would have made sense as it is a personal device, but like JFazYankees said, trademark issued prevented that from happening.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

i is not only not being used on the :apple:Watch, but will probably not be used on any new products in the future.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That didn't stop them from using "iPhone" and "iOS" from Cisco products. For that matter, "iPad", "iPod", "iBook", "Appstore" and others all had been trademarked (and in some cases abandoned) before Apple used / bought them.

As for "iWatch", Apple did get a trademark in many countries for that name, and there's no doubt that it would've bullied / bought the name in the US, if Apple had wanted to use it.

Yep.

Ironically, Apple was actually late to using "i" names. They were more popular in the mid 1990s when the Internet was becoming mainstream. They're also late to stop using them, but better late than never.

"Apple" this and that is not as easy to say, but it puts the company name front and center, and would be far easier to defend in world courts.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

There is supposed to be an official iWatch coming out from the people who own the name.

I'm not convinced at all that the products Apple did not name with the "i" was just as some feel, because they just decided not to.

When others already have owned the name/brand for some time.

iTV I guess being an obvious one.
    ITV being from 22 September 1955

It's funny, and a bit like a teenager, when they can't have something or don't do something. The defence is that "oh, well I didn't want to do it anyway"

I'm sure we've all seen people say this when they can't get what they want :D

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes i has become very generic and less of a brand identifier. Apple has chosen a very clear and well defined nomenclature path. Apple Device: Using Apple iinsted of i clearly brands it and can't be used by others. If the iPhone was being released today it would be the :apple:Phone.

EDIT: Just to add Mac has strong branding and Apple will likely keep it as the i phases out over the next decade or so.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

ApplePod. :D

9. leolatarc thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I was going to say. I thought Apple was the one doing all the trademarking from everything I kept hearing. Just doing a Google search of "iWatch" doesn't bring up anything but Apple and the Apple Watch. I thought it was just a choice to drop the "i".

Besides that, didn't stop them one bit from using iPhone back in 2007. If they wanted iWatch, they would have gotten iWatch. Nonetheless, it was a good choice to leave the "i" out of the Watch and hopefully Apple continues that trend with future new product categories.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Current US Trademarks are easy to check. Just go to:

1. http://www.uspto.gov/trademark
    2. Choose "TESS"
    3. Choose "Basic Word Mark Search"
    4. Enter "iwatch", and check "Live" radio button.
    5. Submit Query

I'm pretty sure that one of the trademark owners ("Brightflash") is a front for Apple. In the US, Apple quite often uses shill companies to trademark names they might later want to use.

Actually, let me partially apologize. While Apple would have no problem getting the trademark in the US, overseas is a different story.

SWATCH managed to stop "iWatch" in some countries, which might've contributed to Apple deciding to use something else.

11. leolatarc thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool appreciate that. Will definitely use that in the future.

I kept seeing reports of Apple trademarking the term iWatch in various countries, so I was surprised when they called it Apple Watch during its announcement. I do think Apple should continue with that trend. Apple Watch just sounds more grown up then iWatch does. iPhoto is now just Photos.

Hopefully they change iTunes to something else. I mean it was created when the software was actually just about music, so the "tunes" made sense. Now it just doesn't fit anymore.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

This reminds me of when I did a search for Apple trademarks in China a while back. These are some of what I found:

IPOD PAD
    IPOD SLATE
    IPOD TAB
    IPOD TABLET

APPLE PAD
    APPLE SLATE
    APPLE TAB

Interesting combinations, eh? Instead of "iPad", we might've had "Apple Pad".

--

Btw, if you've never seen my huge list of "i" trademarks that preceded Apple's 1998 "iMac" , read this post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19215048&postcount=31

So many people incorrectly think that Apple invented "i" names, when in fact it was quite a popular moniker during the entire 1990s, and was actually going out of favor when Apple's ad agency talked Jobs into using it.

13. leolatarc thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting stuff. Didn't Jobs want to call the iMac "MacMan" originally? Can you imagine that?

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes he wanted to call the original iMac a MacMan but was persuaded to go with i.

Could you imagine PodMan, PhoneMan, PadMan and WatchMan?:D

15. leolatarc thread starter macrumors newbie

As stupid as all that sounds, I'm sure Jobs being Jobs would have made it sound acceptable. Goes to show the almighty Steve Jobs didn't do everything right.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually yes, we get used to it and it sounds natural. Remember iPad sounded horrible when it was introduced. Most were expecting iTablet.

17. leolatarc thread starter macrumors newbie

I think thats more subjective honestly. iTablet sounds retarded lol. I'll take iPad all day over that, but like I said, Its subjective.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

iWatch sounds creepy. Glad Apple is moving away from the "i" moniker.

19. PerformaGuy macrumors member

PerformaGuy

Agree. iThings were cool in the 2000's. :apple: is just hard to type, unless of course you are typing on this forum and can easily click it :p

20. rasmith1959 macrumors newbie

I think Sony would have objected to the WatchMan name as that's what they called their portable TVs of the 80's & 90's.

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

So.

Apple Pad Pro you think will be next then?

22. yegon, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

yegon macrumors 68020

The iSomething moniker is done. I don't believe for one moment Apple were ever going to call it iWatch irrespective of rights to the name.

Sure, we've still got existing iProducts naturally, and these will continue for an indeterminate amount of time, but introducing new products/categories along the same lines? Nah.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's even more history behind "iPhone"; it was a product made by the similar-sounding Cidco (which apparently was short for Caller ID Company) which was then bought by Cisco!

For anyone interested, there's a Cidco iPhone simulator that's still online.

24. leolatarc thread starter macrumors newbie

I think they'll either keep the current iProducts there unchanged and just change the names of the new product categories moving forward or eventually just replace the "i" with :apple:

:apple:Phone
    :apple:Pad

I think Mac will stay the same forever.

25. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

After the iPhone 10s, Apple will introduce the :apple:Phone, :apple:Phone s, :apple:phone 2.....