Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Digging into Accounts of iPhone Explosions in Europe

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Reuters reports that recent accounts of exploding iPhones in Europe have prompted Apple to investigate the incidents. According to a spokesperson of the European Commission, these occurrences have been deemed to be "isolated" incidents by Apple at this time. Apple is working on gathering additional information to find out what may have caused them.

One of the more notable incidents in recent news involved a French teenager who received an eye injury when the screen of an iPhone he was holding shattered, sending a piece of glass into his eye. He described that the iPhone had made a "hissing sound" before the screen shattered on its own.

A spokesperson for Apple Europe Ltd is quoted as saying "We are aware of these (media) reports and we are waiting to receive the iPhones from the customers. Until we have the full details, we don't have anything further to add."

Article Link: Apple Digging into Accounts of iPhone Explosions in Europe

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
If my iPhone starts hissing, I think I'll be moving it away from my face.

Comment

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
I see apple legal say we will replace your phone if you sign this saying you wont tell what happened.

Comment

fortetfn

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Maybe because the voltage in Europe is higher, it somehow damaged the battery cells during the charge in his iPhone.

I heard a little sorta like hissing sound while I was on the phone. It sounded like a hard drive on my laptop. Hope it's not the same as his.

Comment

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My theory is that this is Apple's way of remotely punishing jailbreakers.

Wasn't Sarah Marshall in a movie about killer cell phones? :D

Comment

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Maybe because the voltage in Europe is higher, it somehow damaged the battery cells during the charge in his iPhone.

I heard a little sorta like hissing sound while I was on the phone. It sounded like a hard drive on my laptop. Hope it's not the same as his.

iphones chargers in Europe has a higher out than those in the US?

Comment

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
I see apple legal say we will replace your phone if you sign this saying you wont tell what happened.

I would want reparations much better than that! You would be getting a new iPhone anyways through warranty. I would want fully loaded MP with duel 30" ACDs and a MBA for on the move. But, they will probably not do anything and just say that these were isolated and due to misuse, yada yada yada... Luckily my 3GS hasn't been hissing.

Comment

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
i'm guessing

at least with the kid with glass in his eye will get more then that 3GS 32GB of course a couple Power Mac's and what ever else Apple can throw at him. this is defiantly scary stuff. (note to self listen for hissing)

Comment

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK

Except that the mains charger converts whatever it's plugged into to the standard USB voltage of 5v... So no.

Comment

bigdaddyp

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
It should not matter...

It should not matter, the apple transformer (wall wart) takes any voltage between the Us 120v and Europe's 240v Ac and change it to low voltage dc and generally all cars have a 12v dc outlet. I have managed once or twice to put the wrong voltage to a rechargeable device and the results were obvious pretty quickly. :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.