Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
I'm skeptical. How is it that everytime Apple releases something (iPhone or iPod) there's always at least 3 reports of them exploding? It never happens in the US, always in Europe or the odd case Japan.

Yes it does. Recall the iPod touch that burned that kid's leg? ;) Fun stuff.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I submitted this last week which is the report on the French shattering phone. It made the BBC news :eek: It also mentions the other incident was an iPod, presumably the touch.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I would want reparations much better than that! You would be getting a new iPhone anyways through warranty. I would want fully loaded MP with duel 30" ACDs and a MBA for on the move. But, they will probably not do anything and just say that these were isolated and due to misuse, yada yada yada... Luckily my 3GS hasn't been hissing.

You may want that, but that'd be extremely selfish and unwarranted. Here's what Apple owes the guy:
- an apology
- a new iPhone
- compensation for medical bills to treat the eye injury
- compensation for lost wages due to the eye injury (and not BS psychological injuries)

Quite frankly the other stories in the article, at least the one about the iPod jumping 3 metres in the air, is not believable.

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Why does Apple always have to be so careless and not even apologize or show at least SOME sympathy?! Even thats unlikely though... apple does not even care about its employees and treats them as animals.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I was wondering when this was going to make the MacRumors pages.

It is odd that it is always Europe. Apple is probably working hard to figure that one out. Maybe it is the voltage. It's not enough to fret over, though. Could be these phones were exposed to questionable use before they destructed.

Tommigun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Maybe because the voltage in Europe is higher, it somehow damaged the battery cells during the charge in his iPhone.

I heard a little sorta like hissing sound while I was on the phone. It sounded like a hard drive on my laptop. Hope it's not the same as his.

Yeah, the engineers didn't realize the voltage is different. Sounds veeery plausible.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Oh, well. 30 million devices out there. A few are BOUND to detonate, or emit mind-control gas, or grow legs and and start a vendetta against humanity. It's just simple probability.

Now I'm thinking of adding a random hissing sound to my iPhone game. Maybe once a month or so.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Why does Apple always have to be so careless and not even apologize or show at least SOME sympathy?! Even thats unlikely though... apple does not even care about its employees and treats them as animals.

As a company, you never apologize until you know for sure you've done something wrong. Apple is still waiting to examine the phone(s) in question, so they don't know whether they are at fault.

For that matter, neither does anyone else.

xeex

macrumors member
May 22, 2006
it reminds me, when my mag safe caught fire, i got calls every hour from apple legal team when i asked them to replace it.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hi
There is an obvious lack of info. I'm no expert in electrical engineering but I'd tend to think that there had to be some sign of this before it happened. A battery or whatever doesn't just randomly explode. I do admit that it is possible for a battery to explode. Was the iPhone left in direct sunlight for awhile, was it hot, ... ? I'm not necessarily saying misuse but there must be some underlying logical reason that likely was a little more obvious than hissing. Unless it was fairly loud hissing, in which case, I'd put down my iPhone mighty quick or face it away from me at the minimum.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

The only persons that know anything about how Apple handles these kinds of situations are the affected. Apple does not apologize until the causes are completely investigated. Apologizing would be akin to admitting responsibility and hence Apple would be liable.

You don't know how Apple thinks about or treats it's employees (and don't bring the suicide of this Chinese guy up. Read up on the matter first..), and neither do most people here (including me).

I'm not saying Apple is a holy company, but they are certainly no worse than other companies.

I really wonder why people are so passionate or hateful about Apple. I'm a shareholder and like their products, but I do not see Jobs or Apple as the manifestation of God or the Devil. :rolleyes:

:Rob:

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Hi, I'm in Europe

Just downloaded iSplode from EU App store. I'll write a review soon...

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
iGrenade

I don't think it will ever catch on myself!

Worry though, that's a lot of computing oomph in a tiny space. How much more can they put in without vents?:confused:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Dubious claims blown out of proportion.

Out of tens of millions of iPhones, only what these dubious cases in which there is really no hard scientific evidence that it's the device, not the user. In addition even if these did happen, there were no proof that injuries were caused by manufacturer defect.

traemirc

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
cx: *watches youtube on toilet, and drops their 3GS in* :eek:
cx: *calls applecare*
rep: looks you have liquid damage :rolleyes:
cx: :eek: omgnowai!
rep: wanna pay for an oow repair? :cool:
cx: :mad: hell no! *hangs up*
cx: *plugs wet phone into wall so it frys, battery bloats, and shatters screen, pretends to have shards in eyes*:D
cx: *calls in again*
rep: we diddnt sell it to you like that, too bad.:apple::cool::apple:
cx: FML.:(

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Poisonous baby milk. Check.
Toxic toy paint. Check.
Exploding iPhones expelling sharp glass shrapnel. Check.

Life would never be dull, if everything was manufactured in China..

(I kid.. I kid.. I've no idea who or what is responsible for the failure).

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
To do:

1. Identify and direct paranoid (hypochondriac?) friend with iPhone to this story.
2. Call them and hiss into the phone when they pickup.
3. ???
4. Profit!

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
It's bogus!!!

Just look at the screen. It's cracked everywhere. The only thing that can cause something like that is if he sat on it. Then the hissing noise started most likely the crossing of wires due to the already damaged frame and body.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Probably real but since you get duff units in every mass marketed product I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jamie 360

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Boston
at least with the kid with glass in his eye will get more then that 3GS 32GB of course a couple Power Mac's and what ever else Apple can throw at him. this is defiantly scary stuff. (note to self listen for hissing)

Only if he wears an eye patch with the :apple: on it. Anyone remember the bad guy on Last Action Hero with the cool glass eyes? I would totally wear one with the logo on it!

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
So, what we might have is a faulty battery expanding, and exerting pressure on the display, which has a glass front, and the pressure grew to a point where the screen shattered. It's not an "explosion" really.

The problem is with millions of devices, a few will get faulty batteries - a third party component remember.

Apple might have to tweak the design to stop the pressure having an effect on the screen - maybe some bars/grids for rigidity behind the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.