Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I hope group FaceTime will just stay disabled on older iOS 12 versions so I can keep 12.1 and don't have to update.

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
I bet there are a few people up late at 1 Infinite Loop tonight though, working on just what you’ve described. Tim Cook is likely not far away either and probably isn’t happy.

Based on my experience, one of the qualities of good leaders is the ability to be calm and supportive when unpleasantries hit the fan. Tim Cook might stop by to thank the team for their efforts in fixing this, and pledge his support if there is anything he can do.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Right move by Apple, BUT:

1. I find disconcerting that bugs of this severity not only happen but do so at a degree of frequency: it's like every week there is a different bug, defect or "gate" ranging from a minor annoyance to a major failure. Their QA is insufficient or outright broken and that is what needs fixing.

2. Has this snooping been happening for THREE MONTHS now unnoticed? :eek:

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Right move by Apple, BUT:

1. I find disconcerting that bugs of this severity not only happen but do so at a degree of frequency: it's like every week there is a different bug, defect or "gate" ranging from a minor annoyance to a major failure. Their QA is insufficient or outright broken and that is what needs fixing.

2. Has this snooping been happening for THREE MONTHS now unnoticed? :eek:
I agree. Its not rare anymore that we have irritating bugs in iOS who last sometime almost a year without any fix. Sometimes is just little bugs who normal companies could fix in a month or two max. But since a couple of years, when you see a new bug on iOS, you know it will be there for a long time and its not normal at all. I think Apple should rid of beta programs because it clearly not helping that much. 90% of people who install this is just to see the new software and when you actually report bugs, they usually just not respond and the bug persist for another 6 months.

Back before iOS 8 when beta was only for developers (and actually really just for developers, not like today when everyone can get a dev profile) iOS was really more stable and bug free unlike today.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
How does this pass QA? It isn’t some obscure method, it’s a normal use case - how did they not test that?

Bugs exist in software I know, I work in software development, but I was dumbfounded by how normal operation would result in such a huge privacy violation...

It’s like not testing a login page on a site, I would get quite a bollocking from management if I let a bug like this slip through.

Too often iOS is buggy last few years.

imran5720

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
I've just disabled ft. If this kind of bug was allowed to happen, it's possible there are other hidden bugs. It's better to be safe than sorry. I highly recommend that everyone disable facetime on their apple device at this point.
while at it, may be you should also disconnect your internet if so much concerned about privacy :)

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
How does this pass QA? It isn’t some obscure method, it’s a normal use case - how did they not test that?

Bugs exist in software I know, I work in software development, but I was dumbfounded by how normal operation would result in such a huge privacy violation...

It’s like not testing a login page on a site, I would get quite a bollocking from management if I let a bug like this slip through.

Too often iOS is buggy last few years.

The cynical part of me would say that this is why Tim Cook is quite happy to be promoting strong privacy legislation- with bugs like this there is not need to create back-doors or surrender enc. keys...

Reactions: iSilas

Schwarzmaler20

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2019
Nice to see Apple take responsibility and look out for their users. Nobody is perfect, everyone makes mistakes.
Everyone makes mistakes, Apple has proofed us so often. But as a developer I'd say this here is not a usual bug that can happen, this seems to be a major design flaw. One side in a communication protocol should never be able to establish a communication without consent from the counterpart.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
The big problem with this bug is that implies a problem in FaceTime signaling: the callee's connection state can be manipulated from the client side.

This is a major problem, one which will take a lot of time to mitigate.

Actions on Phone A should never, ever be able to cause Phone B to think the connection is active. The state of the call on phone B should only be controlled from Phone B, period.

The fact that this was possible implies that Apple could always enable FaceTime your iPhone if FaceTime was enabled.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
It should of been tested for. If it was overlooked it was because the min staff numbers didn't allow the time and effort to think of and test for different scenarios in the time allotted. Companies tend to operate with the min staff numbers so firing someone is not going to prevent a future occurrence, its a company management problem. That's my take.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
Glad to see they were quick with a mitigation to prevent privacy issues (not sure why they’re calling it a fix/workaround). Hoping they’re just as quick with a fix.

Edit: reading it’ll take a week. If so, that’s pretty shameful. A company of Apple’s size/stature shouldn’t take an entire to fix a known bug that concerns privacy.
Bugs exist everywhere. It’s good that they have quickly patched this.

Reactions: bobob

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Bugs exist everywhere. It’s good that they have quickly patched this.
True, but as pointed before, they took their sweet time releasing the feature (possibly to iron more bugs out....amd did not work that well) and the issue is not a small one, they simply should have tested more.

No sw is 100% bug free, but there is bug, and there is bug, now imagine if it was another company, people here would be all over it.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Article bookmarked for the next time someone says "why would I buy an Echo and let Amazon have a microphone in my house?" :rolleyes:

PLondon

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
Spoken like a diehard non Apple fan. If Google and Samsung had your focus they would be out of business. You almost never hear about Googles horror of an OS, but wait they control search...you kind of have to hunt it down. Even apps that steal money from your PayPal account on Android gets zero attention. I literally had no idea this was going on since December. https://www.zdnet.com/article/andro...m-paypal-accounts-while-users-watch-helpless/
Having used both Google and Apple products side by side daily for the last 3 years I can honestly say that Android (on the Pixel line) and Google Chrome absolutely trunces iOS and MacOS when it comes to "Just Works".

I daily use a MacBook Pro, and PixelBook depending on my workflow. With the MacBook I have constant crashes and issues with OS updates breaking apps and peripherals that I need for my daily workflow. Airdrop doesn't work and syncing to my iPhone/ iPad is hit and miss. And don't even get me started on all the software issues on iOS, it really is a joke at the moment.

Meanwhile both my PixelBook and my Pixe3 XL run buttery smooth, no software issues or crashes (less than 10 in total on both devices over the last couple of years) syncing is perfect as is automatic backups.

Open your eyes and you'll see that Apple is far behind where they should be at the moment.

Reactions: PC_tech

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I'm wondering when it comes back online they will leave it off for older iOS devices just as they killed off FaceTime on iOS 6?
[doublepost=1548763289][/doublepost]If Apple releases a dot1 update for older iOS versions it might be a chance for many to revert to their original iOS versions for their device. But I doubt they will. It's either iOS 12 or your under the bus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.