Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Disabling Support for Intel Atom Processor in Latest 10.6.2 Build?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

OS X Daily reports on a discovery that Apple's latest developer build of Mac OS X 10.6.2 disables support for Intel's Atom processor. While Apple's exact motive for the change is unknown, the result is that users who have modified their Atom-powered netbooks to run OS X will be unable to easily apply the 10.6.2 update should the change remain in effect for its public launch.
You can't help but suspect this move is Apple's attempt at shutting down the growing and popular Hackintosh Netbook community, since Apple has no product line that runs the Atom itself. Mac OS X runs absolutely flawlessly on much of the PC Netbook hardware, once it's configured you wouldn't know you're not on a Mac. Maybe it's in effort to kill the Atom Hackintoh Netbooks in anticipation of the rumored Tablet? Or maybe it's something totally unrelated?
Apple had apparently initially envisioned using the Atom platform in its tablet computer project, but dissatisfaction with the performance of the platform reportedly led to the company's purchase of ARM chip designer P.A. Semi in early 2008 and a shift to that company's technology for the tablet.

Article Link: Apple Disabling Support for Intel Atom Processor in Latest 10.6.2 Build?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Hope there is a reason other than just to force people to buy the iTablet..

Though it would make sense if they were entering the netbook market with something killer, and a low cost version.

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Apple are getting twitchy about it eating in to their profit for the tablet no doubt.

Can see no other reason for it as they have 'allowed/ ignored' it for so long.

This is bad news for me as I was thinking of buying a small netbook and installing OSX.:confused:

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This seems in-line with the way Apple keeps disabling Pre synching in iTunes.

I feel vaguely concerned by this, but I guess Apple's within their rights to stamp out pirates. Running Mac OS on non-Apple hardware strikes at the heart of Apple's business model, so I guess they can't just ingore it.

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Ubuntu is starting to impress me now, I need some more info before changing to it but from what I read it runs very well on a HP mini 10. Whats compatibility like with popular file formats?

I might just wait for this tablet though.....

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

I feel vaguely concerned by this, but I guess Apple's within their rights to stamp out pirates. Running Mac OS on non-Apple hardware strikes at the heart of Apple's business model, so I guess they can't just ingore it.

The interesting thing is the timing. Apple disables the Pre very quickly, with every new update of iTunes. But they've been ignoring the hackintosh netbooks even though they've been going on for about 2 years now.

Why suddenly care so much about disabling them?

(I hope, as others have said, it's because the upcoming Apple device is imminent.)

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.

IS NOT PIRACY!

I'm getting so sick and tired of people saying that using software that you purchased is piracy. I can do what I want! Get off my back.

I'm usually a rather calm person but the way everyone right now is trying to control my life, from Apple to the United States government, is really starting to piss me off.

Go ahead and flame me, but I could not care less.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
IS NOT PIRACY!

I'm getting so sick and tired of people saying that using software that you purchased is piracy. I can do what I want! Get off my back.

I'm usually a rather calm person but the way everyone right now is trying to control my life, from Apple to the United States government, is really starting to piss me off.

Unfortunately, you can't do whatever you want when you buy software. You know that whole EULA thing. Right or wrong you don't really own the software...

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Before you flame me, please read my whole post.

On the one hand, I kind of wish Apple would open up Mac OS X so people can use it on non-Apple hardware. This would greatly increase choice and possibly marketshare.

On the other hand, I've heard Apple makes most of its money from hardware sales, which means opening up to other hardware could drastically lower profits. Also, making drivers & stability for all the possible hardware configs will be a lot of work.

Unfortunately, you can't do whatever you want when you buy software. You know that whole EULA thing. Right or wrong you don't really own the software...

That's correct. You're just licensing it.

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I can do what I want! Get off my back.

Then do what you want. Nobody is coming to your house to shut down your Hackintosh or stop you from doing whatever it is you're doing that the government doesn't approve of.

You can't blame a company for doing what's in its best interest.

Comment

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Seems like a relatively simple (part) solution to a huge problem. Logical, in other words.

Though it kind of sucks for the CUSTOMERS.

Comment

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I think this move is just part of Apple's legal battle with Psystar. You could argue in court that since Apple allows people to put OSX on non Apple computers (hackintosh), then Psystar should be able to sell computers that run OSX just like HP, Dell, etc does. I don't think this move stops here. It's just that disabling support for the Adom is the easiest to do.

Comment

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
IS NOT PIRACY!

I'm with you there. And I doubt that Apple's EULA is legal - at least not in Europe.

Comment

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I think this move is just part of Apple's legal battle with Psystar. You could argue in court that since Apple allows people to put OSX on non Apple computers (hackintosh), then Psystar should be able to sell computers that run OSX just like HP, Dell, etc does. I don't think this move stops here. It's just that disabling support for the Adom is the easiest to do.

Just want to clarify... of course HP, Dell, etc don't build computers so you can run OSX on them. I'm sure they would prefer you not to run OSX on their machines. Psystar's reason for existing is to profit off of the desire to run OSX on cheaper PC hardware.

Comment

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
You can't blame a company for doing what's in its best interest.

That must explain then why Apple and Microsoft are getting sued on almost a daily basis. Customers - and smaller companies - also have rights, it's just that the big bullies Microsoft and Apple ignore them wherever possible - because that's in their best interest.

Comment

brygruver

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
That must explain then why Apple and Microsoft are getting sued on almost a daily basis. Customers - and smaller companies - also have rights, it's just that the big bullies Microsoft and Apple ignore them wherever possible - because that's in their best interest.

Your "rights" are to choose. If you don't like the Apple End User License Agreement or the decisions they choose to make with THEIR Operating System, you have the "Right" to switch to Windows or Linux.

Comment

Chekote

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
IS NOT PIRACY!

Apple makes money on their hardware, not their software. OSX is just an incentive to buy Apple hardware, which is why they don't let you run it on non-apple machines.

If apple allowed OSX to run on other hardware, they wouldn't make any money. They practically give the OS away.

While what you're doing is technically not "piracy", you *are* in breach of the EULA that you agreed to when you installed the software. If you don't agree with Apple's methods, then don't use their software.

Apple are the ones who invested all their time and money in creating this software, and they can do whatever they want with it, regardless of how "evil" you think it is. Your freedom comes in your choice of whether or not you use it. It doesn't mean you can violate the EULA.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple's numbers dont suggest the "hackintosh community" has any bearing whatsoever on Mac sales. They're inconsequential from a market perspective. And they have no voice because they're circumventing Apple's rules. And when it comes to the Psystar case, it miht not reflect too ell on Apple that Apple is actively pursusing Psystar while taking no measures of their own to at least make a show of putting in place mechanisms that prevent unauthorized use elsewhere. Apple's not going to actively go after hackintosh users legally, but there's no reason thehy shouldn't make it more difficult for others to circumvent Apple's measures.

Again, if it won't reflect in the numbers, it won't really matter. All of this assumes the update actually breaks compatibility or otherwise disable's support. So far it's unsubstantiated.

Hackintosh hobbyists have always operated outside of Apple's rules and have been unsupported and unendorsed by Apple, save for acting as guinea pigs by testing new and different hardware, perhaps. They're aware of the risks. Now they might actually materialize. Apple is within their rights.

Whatever happens, the bulk of Apple's market will baerly notice. Hackintoshes are an enthusiast phenomenon confined to small corners of the internet. It's unauthorized tinkering. Unfortunately, there aren't enough hackintosh users to make a market impact one way or another, but there certainly are enough to make Apple seem hypocritical when it comes to enforcing its own policies.

This is just a rumour for now, anyway, But it's no big deal. Hackintosh users will find a way around this, should it materialize. They've been doing exactly that up until now.

Some of them, however, might actually have to get a Mac like the rest of us.

As for the netbook market, Apple missed nothing. They completely crushed the notion of missing anything about it. Apple bypassed the entire netbook market and no one even cared. What did consumers do? Hand them more record quarters. In a recession.

So much for netbooks.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.