Apple Disappoints Rural Customers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rustic4, Dec 22, 2013.

1. rustic4 macrumors newbie

SLOW INTERNET FOR RUARAL AMERICA:
    You either don't know this or really don't care.....Unlike many who have access to High Speed internet access rural residents are forced to accept basic DSL broadband. (1.5 down x 1.0 up) translated means at best 8.50 down and 4.95 up.... I have been an avid apple consumer since that world changing 1984 event...... and now if I want to update operating systems or download lengthy program updates - it's all via the slow rural American internet..... to perform an operating system update, if my IP doesn't time out..... it takes between 12-15 hours.... do in part to over capacity on my rural DSLAM. WHY not provide a Disc, we can either pay extra for it or return it by a certain date and pay hefty penalty if not returned in a timely manner.
    TOTALLY INCONSIDERATE.....
    OUT-DATED OSX:
    I just purchased a (what I thought was a new) MacBook Pro, although I was aware there were newer Retina models available for sale. I get it in the mail open the NEW packaging only to find out it is at least a year and a half old and the mid-2012 operating system and needs to be update to OS X Mavericks. (see above 12-15 hours for update) I called to get return authorization and it will be sent back Monday... :mad:@:apple:

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Wait...I'm really unclear on this. You're mad at Apple because you have a poor ISP?

How is that Apple's fault?:confused:

Also curious...did you buy the MBP from Apple online? Or did you buy it from another supplier?

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Apple is embracing the future and generally speaking internet will get faster...I don't even get 7 down and my uplink is about 0.60 down because some DSL company has a contract with my town and the town doesn't want to dig up the ground for FiOS. Thats just the way it is sometimes, maybe you can drive somewhere with better internet? Sucks to suck. I don't even live in a rural area either...

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Yeah What gives… The Apple store always allow customers to use their wifi to update their computers. Or you can go to a local mall or restaurant that has faster wifi. Or you can contact Apple and explain your situation. I'm sure they can try to help you..

I've used Apple store wifi a lot of times especially when I had to wipe my hard drive clean and start over. Their wifi was faster than mine.

lol

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Unless there is a specific application you use that is Mavericks only, your system will run just fine with the operating system that came pre-installed.

6. amoda, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

amoda macrumors 6502a

I'm not an Apple apologetic. Apple has, and will continue to, disappoint in certain areas. However, these are not them.

1. Apple is not responsible for your poor internet access.

It's 2013, so 99% of Apple's customer base has sufficient internet access. Push to improve internet access in your area - it'd help out in many aspects, the least being OS updates.

2. Your new laptop isn't 1.5 years old.

Mavericks was released on Oct 22, 2013. If you purchased a Macbook on Oct 21, 2013 (just 8 weeks ago), it would've not come with Mavericks. Even then, hardware manufactured before the 22nd would have the old OS. I believe that in the days of CDs Apple would open the boxes and slip in an update DVD. The days of CDs/DVDs in the Apple world is long gone however.

If you truly received a 1.5 year old Macbook I'd worry more about old hardware specs.

7. scbond macrumors 6502

1) Apple is not your ISP.
    2) Mavericks isn't outdated as it's the latest release of OS X.

...if you lived in the city you'd know this (tee hee hee).

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

12-15 hours to download a new OS is (by far) quicker than having to wait days for a disc to be shipped to you. :confused:

9. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Wait till the OP hears that the latest computers made by Apple don't even include an optical disk drive. I can't wait to see that thread.

10. KimJonNumberUn macrumors regular

you should be nagging about ur internet provider not apple. guess this kid doesnt pay internet bills LOL

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

12. Bob Sanders macrumors member

My parents live in the country and they have Fiber as does everyone from the surrounding area. This is two different coops that have done full fiber to the home for all their customers in rural Iowa.

13. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

I'm trying to think of a way that I could start a thread that would be even more silly than this one. But it's just not coming to me.

14. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

What prevents you from either A) using your computer while it's downloading something else, and B) download overnight if you really don't have anything else to do than staring at the progress bar?

15. AirThis macrumors 6502a

OP, you're so right. You should have bought Windows 8. They'll give you a solid disk you can physically hold in your hand. And you'll never have to download anything. You'll never need any new drivers, updated virus definitions, security patches, OS updates, Office updates, or any 3rd party updates whatsoever. Heck, you could even survive out in the wilderness with a 9600 baud modem if you used Windows.

So go ahead and buy the rural-friendly software Microsoft makes. :)

Disclaimer: The above post makes use of irony and may contain information which is factually incorrect. Reader discretion is advised.

16. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

Maybe I'm uninformed, but can't you make OS X Mavericks pendrive/HDD/DVD copy? Once it's downloaded of course.

Nowadays NOBODY gives you OS disc. Only if you buy Windows OEM version yourself.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense, but your transmission speeds are not the fault of Apple.

I can sympathize with your plight but Apple's embrace of downloading updates should not be criticized. This is not 2001 where they sent out CDs with updates.

If you have slow DSL why not look into a different ISP like Satellite

You may be mad at apple but sending back the laptop sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

18. AirThis macrumors 6502a

19. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

If companies keep making available physical assets for people on slow internet your slow internet will never get faster.

It is painful now for you, but you need to look in to the future when people demand high speed internet and telecoms companies are obligated to provide it.

20. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I live in a rural area and have slow DSL also. It is never going to improve here unless they roll out some kind of cheap wireless internet because I'm way off the road and don't even have any utility poles for the cable company to string wires. So I'm stuck with Verizon copper that is buried somewhere.

I knew all of this when I moved here 8 years ago and it was a trade-off that was worth it for living in a secluded natural location.

But I'm so mad at Apple! :D

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

How does the OP know the MBP is a year and a half old? Nowhere is there any mention of the hardware specs. He could well have a cMBP that was in stok when Mavericks was released. I can't picture Apple selling a year and a half old MBP as new.

22. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

They sell them as refurbished, which might as well be new considering that they have the same warranty coverage. Until last week, Apple was selling refurbished late 2011 cMBPs with the same CPU, GPU and antiglare screen as the model in my signature.

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

The OP hasn't given us any info as to whether he bought a refurb or not.

24. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Actually, now that I look again, the OP never said where the system was purchased. Since that's the case, I would wager a guess that it was from some online retailer and not Apple directly. It's not uncommon to see places that have old inventory, but it's still sold as new. I believe MicroCenter still carries the low-end 2012 cMBP, which are still "new" machines but they wouldn't have Mavericks installed.

25. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I think it's because it's so rural it may have taken that long to get there :D:D:D