Apple Discontinues 10.5-Inch iPad Pro Following Launch of Lower-Priced 10.5-Inch iPad Air

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has stopped selling the second-generation 10.5-inch iPad Pro, originally released in June 2017, after launching a new 10.5-inch iPad Air today.

[​IMG]

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro had remained available from $649 following the release of 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models in October 2018, but it has been replaced by the 10.5-inch iPad Air with a cheaper starting price of $499.

The new iPad Air features a 10.5-inch Retina display, A12 Bionic chip, and Apple Pencil support and is available to order on Apple.com starting today.

Apple also released a new iPad mini with an A12 Bionic chip and Apple Pencil support today. The 9.7-inch iPad was not updated.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues 10.5-Inch iPad Pro Following Launch of Lower-Priced 10.5-Inch iPad Air

2. Jakewilk macrumors regular

This is actually a surprisingly generous upgrade, considering the fact that it used to cost $649

3. Jerion macrumors member

Makes sense. Nice price drop & feature tweak for the lineup.

4. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Keep in mind that this update drops ProMotion as well as the quad speakers in favor of stereo speakers.

So you gain a better processor but lose 2 features from the previous 10.5" model.

5. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

You also loose better camera and camera flash. Keep in mind that the 10.5 Pro had the A10X, and the new Air has an A12 (non x) - also the 10.5 Pro had 4GB of ram and I'm doubting this one does, though I could be wrong.

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

I'm confused. What is the difference between the $329 iPad and new iPad Air then? Laminated screen, slightly bigger screen, faster CPU. What else?

7. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

What a messy lineup.

8. Jakewilk macrumors regular

And it costs $150 less, which is a good deal imo

9. partsofspeech macrumors regular

partsofspeech

IiPad naming may not be confusing for everyone but the that product line has certainly lost focus.

Pro 12.9”, iPad 10.5” (from the new Air), and Mini 7.5” form a team that is mean and lean.

10. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

Everybody with a bright spot on their 10.5 Pro just got screwed even more.

11. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

People actually thought Apple were being generous. :D:eek:

12. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

It's just Apple moving the average selling price of the iPad up again....

13. Jerion macrumors member

And Smart Keyboard?

That’s pretty much it.

14. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

From the average consumer’s point of view, the iPad is probably the most difficult Apple product to buy. People know I’m an Apple guy and I get the most questions about it. They really needed to simplify the lineup, and instead we got more complication. At least it has a good price to performance ratio.

So glad those 10.2” rumors were wrong and they didn’t fragment things even more.

I’m hoping this means they’re saving AirPods and AirPower for the event, but I won’t hold my breath. Also doubt we’ll see the iMac updates now before WWDC.

15. Ferc Kast macrumors 6502

Ferc Kast

Slight correction; it lost 3 features: ProMotion (120GHz refresh rate), flash for the back camera, and the quad speakers.

Potentially downgraded the RAM too, but we'll have to wait for a teardown or a Geekbench test to be sure.

16. dsraj, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019

dsraj macrumors newbie

dsraj

Lost: Quad speakers, ProMotion, 4K video shooting

Gained: A12 (previously A10X), 13 grams lighter

Price drop: $150

I think this is a really good deal. Processor bump is huge and a meaningful one that keeps it running and supported for years to come. $499 was the standard price point for a 9.7” iPad Air for a long time. Same price for a 10.5” Air with Pencil support and latest processors is sweetspot!

17. natemac macrumors newbie

natemac

Agreed. Comparing the differences between iPads has become a headache. Doesn’t make sense. Should be easier than this. Love Apple but they lost direction here.

18. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

I guess the previous pro was so close in price to the new 11" it wasn't really doing a lot in the lineup, this will appeal to people who don't want to pay pro pricing but do want a laminated display on the 9.7" iPad. Just a slight repositioning of the model in the line to lose a couple of the more shiny bells and whistles, but get a big price reduction and a bump in power. (I wonder if this is going to be a battery champ, given the A10X presumably drew more power?)

19. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    I assume you mean the iPad? Presuming yes, the article incorrectly states it’s size as 10.5”. The iPad remains at 9.7” .

20. genovelle macrumors 6502a

How do you move the selling price up by adding a cheaper model and removing one that was $150 more.

21. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

No, they mean the just-launched 10.5" iPad Air (replacing the 10.5" pro at a cheaper price point) - it's front and centre on Apple's website if you missed it ;)

More people buying the $799 iPad pro 11" rather than the $650 10.5", and some people who would have bought the $329 ipad now buying the $499 iPad Air.

22. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

You push more people onto the new iPad Pros as Pro Motion, an AX processor, presumably 4GB of ram, quad speakers, better camera, camera flash are only on the new Pros, and instead of spec bumping the iPad 9.7 like they did last year, you push more people onto a more expensive model to get something with recent specs.

23. coolkid93 macrumors regular

coolkid93

Generous but lost quite a few things
    Just when I was gonna get the 10.5” Pro now I don’t know which one to get ...

24. vnrwka macrumors newbie

sad to see promotion & quad speakers go away, but who cares about cameras on ipads? I'd be happy to pay less and give up a camera.

25. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

I guess if the features like ProMotion and quad speakers appeal to you and you don't mind spending the extra then get the 11" pro, or if you can live without those things you now won't have to part with as much cash? Alternatively you might still be able to find a 10.5" pro from a third party retailer if that really hits the sweet spot for you?