Apple Discontinues 12-Inch MacBook

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Coinciding with refreshes to the MacBook Air and the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro today, Apple has discontinued the 12-inch MacBook, which is no longer available to purchase through its online store.

[​IMG]

Apple had not updated the 12-inch MacBook since June 2017 and it was becoming increasingly uncertain whether the notebook had a future in Apple's product lineup, especially after the MacBook Air was redesigned last year with many of the same features as the 12-inch MacBook for $100 less at the time.

The 12-inch MacBook first launched in April 2015 and started at $1,299 prior to being discontinued. One of the 12-inch MacBook's only advantages over the 2018 MacBook Air was portability, as it has a smaller screen size and is nearly three quarters of a pound lighter at 2.03 pounds versus 2.75 pounds.

Apple's notebook lineup is much more straightforward now at a glance, with the lower-end MacBook Air starting at $1,099 after receiving a price cut today, the mid-range 13-inch MacBook Pro starting at $1,299, and the high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro for the most demanding users starting at $2,399.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues 12-Inch MacBook

2. foobarbaz macrumors 6502a

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

4. Hazmat401 macrumors regular

Hazmat401

Guess those profit margins were hella low

Seriously... base model aside, why buy a MacBook when you can get a better performing Air

5. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

About time. However, great computer to pick up refurb when the prices tank.

6. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

Such a shame! It was the Macbook i enjoyed using the most and I was really hoping for an update :(

7. dabrain13 macrumors newbie

Wow. I don't think this product ever really made a ton of sense in the lineup because it was similar in price to the MacBook Pro and didn't really provide a "killer-feature" over the MacBook Air (particularly after the refresh).

That being said...it's always interesting to see Apple kill off product lines. And isn't this the second time they've killed the MacBook line? Seems like it would have made more sense to just rename MacBook Air to MacBook.

8. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

I still use mine on a daily basis. I love the compact size and weight, and the fact that I can still use it for photoshop.

9. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

10. Rogifan, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Apple has killed this product and brought it back before. I wonder if it will eventually come back as an ARM Mac someday. Would be the perfect product for it.

11. frou macrumors 6502a

frou

Finally the anomaly of the Air (as in "light as air") not being their lightest laptop is resolved.

12. smartbot macrumors regular

smartbot

I still think the 12" MacBook was the most portable laptop ever made by Apple. I don't think the 13" Air can fully take its place.

13. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Why don't they rename the MacBook Air to 'MacBook' now??

Would make a lot more sense. Though maybe the Air moniker has too much name recognition.

14. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

this for sure...that name recognition is huge, so it's understandable they want to keep it for now.

15. pop2video macrumors newbie

s
    because so they can release it in the future with the ARM
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2019 ---
    so now I have the limited version... wish I got the rose gold one back then.

16. newyorksole, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019

newyorksole macrumors 68040

11” MacBook Air was.

EDIT: I was mistaken! :)

17. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Still makes no sense - if that was the case we'd be back to 'MacBook' as the lightest MacBook and 'MacBook Air' as the non lightest MacBook despite being called the 'Air'.

18. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I liked mine a lot, but it was the last Mac I had before making the switch to iOS. Maybe that is saying something.

19. sime0n macrumors newbie

killer feature was its size and weight. its almost a # lighter than the air.

20. ricktat macrumors 65816

Everytime these went $500 off at B&H or Best buy.... I considered one...But even at a huge discount, they didn't make sense.

21. adamfozzy macrumors member

Macbook 12 inch is (was ) lighter than the 11inch MacBook Air was. Nearly 200 grams lighter.

22. trillionaire macrumors regular

trillionaire

Damn, I actually thought the 12-inch was pretty popular, with a lot of people buying it for travel purposes. Guess I was wrong.

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

That’s the only reason it still exists. It’s like all new products being Apple xxx but the iPhone and iPad will never become Apple Phone and Apple Pad.

24. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Not surprised. Not a lot of people want to buy a $1299 computer with one port.

25. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Still have mine. 7 years old and still trucking along. Going to update it to Mojave soon. It’s still running Sierra because I didn’t want to update it while the Mrs. was using it for school.