Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has removed the 20" Cinema Display from the online Apple Store and has notified resellers that the product has been "end of life'd" and can no longer be ordered.

While it may be possible that Apple has simply chosen to stop offering a 20" model, it seems more likely that they are preparing to release a new LED-based 20" Display with the new Mini DisplayPort introduced in October. Apple has said that all future products will contain the Mini DisplayPort connectors. Apple's 30" Display remains available in stores at this time.

Apple is sitting on a number of possible updates which are now overdue. The Cinema Displays saw some activity in October when Apple introduced their first LED-based standalone monitor with the 24" model.

Meanwhile, we are still patiently awaiting refreshes for the Mac mini, iMac and Mac Pro. The Mac Pro will not be updated before the release of the Nehalem Xeon processor which is due at the end of March. The new iMac and Mac mini, however, could be released at any time. While at least one analyst believes that Apple may long delay these updates due to the declining economy, we find that line of reasoning to be absurd and expect the updates sooner than later.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues 20" Cinema Display, Product Refreshes Coming?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I wonder, with Apple's emphasis on relatively high end products, and the falling price of LCD displays, why they need a 20" display anymore. They might well make the 24" the low end display and then move up the line instead -- either adding a mid-grade 27" or so screen or perhaps even a new top-end screen >30"? That seems particularly compelling given that the 24" display is marketed almost exclusively at the notebooks and not at the Mac Pro....

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
This seems strategy based... introduce a medium version where the LED cost is not exponential since the sizing is medium and the prices are also not kept too low since a 24" screen does somewhat qualifies as a luxury product...

Introducing a 20" screen would demand moderate pricing... so wait for the LED screen prices to come down....

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I wonder, with Apple's emphasis on relatively high end products, and the falling price of LCD displays, why they need a 20" display anymore.

Low end systems. If someone was buying the Mini say they are the type of person would might just be tempted to buy the 20" but the 24" would be too far off in terms of price.

I think 20" is a sweet spot in terms of size as it is quite large but not huge.

That said I don't really care what apple does as I would most probably buy a dell screen over apples.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Please Bring on the updates....

Apple is probably getting rid of the 20" all together like they did the 17" iMac a few yrs back, but you never know. I am really intrested in a new mini though... and like you've all heard me and hundreds of others... I'd like it to have BluRay so I can use my new HDTV as my monitor. The mini is all I need to complete my mac line. Apple, I will not upgrade my notebook until I get the new mini. I am perefectly happy with my imac although it 2 yrs old now.:rolleyes:

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I think the 20" would have been ready for Macworld until Apple realised that people didn't all want glossy. So it's a couple of months late.

0tim0

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
Apple Embargo

I've spent a lot of money on Apple products over the last few years. The problem with Apple is that once you buy in, you've hitched your wagon to them. You're stuck waiting for them to update things on their schedule. You can't go to another vendor.

So right now I'm on an "Apple Embargo". I'm not giving them any more money until I get some visibility into their Mac line (read: Mac Mini or other headless mac). And Blu-Ray. How can they still not support Blu-Ray? Windows has had it for, what, years?

--t

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
This scares me, because it comes with no warning. I want to get two of the current 30's to replace my two 23" ACDs I have now, and I want to do it before they possibly move the whole line to the glossy 24" style.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I'd be rather pissed if they simply stop offering a 20" model. Not everyone has tons and tons of free desk space (or money) and the 20" Cinema Display was one of the few somewhat-affordable 20" S-IPS displays out there. Every other company seems so damn infatuated with TN panel crap in that size range.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
A cheapish 20" LED display would be awesome.

$399 would be a good deal. Though, going from the price of the 24" I doubt we'll see a good deal..

schneb

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
define "patiently!!" have you read this forum. people are about to kill eachother over the impending release/non release of the mac mini . . .
Exactly. I refused to buy any Mac hardware for the last two years because of the lack of headless choice between the Mac Mini and the MacPro.

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
23 inch

I guess I missed it before, did they discontinue the 23 inch when the new 24 LED one came out? At the moment, you can only buy either the 30 inch or the LED 24 from the Apple store.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
How has apple let it get this bad..... ?

Every product other than their laptops is now out of date by a considerable margin, and thus over priced by default. Desktops sales plummeted last quarter, and this quarter they must be practically non existent.

Poor planning ? Who knows... I dont remember mac-land being this out of whack since the G4 days when it stalled at 400Mhz ish for like 2yrs !

Seriously... hide the mini from the web page. Having that computer up there non updated after sooooo long is like an embarrassment to the company.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Yeah, Apple needs to update in a serious way. The 20-inch Cinema Display probably can't be updated to LED without also acknowledging that their iMac needs to be similarly updated. I say now that the 17" MacBook Pros are out the door, that Apple will update on Tuesday with new stuff.

dvassallo

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
New York
Left in the cold

What about all of the users of previous generation MacBooks that lack the MiniDisplay Port output? Does this not leave them in the cold if Apple follows the same model they have for the 24" LED display?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
but with this notice I wait! for a new cinema display... maybe the new 20 or 21 comes with more high resolution? 1920 x 1080 ????

I doubt it. They want the monitors to be able to sit next to each other. If you have different definitions they won't work together as multiple displays.

Hard-Hat-Mac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Philly Burbs
No new 20in screens - they will update the 30in once they sell out of them - which won't be for a while... I haven't seen many sales of them where I work not sure about all the rest of the apple stores though.

I want to get the 24in NEW iMac!

But, I'm debating whether to just get a MBP 2.53 and then pick up a 24 inch HP monitor with displayport for connectivity.

Apple better hurry, before i give some of their money to HP! Yuck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.