Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
How has apple let it get this bad..... ?

Every product other than their laptops is now out of date by a considerable margin, and thus over priced by default. Desktops sales plummeted last quarter, and this quarter they must be practically non existent.

Poor planning ? Who knows... I dont remember mac-land being this out of whack since the G4 days when it stalled at 400Mhz ish for like 2yrs !

Seriously... hide the mini from the web page. Having that computer up there non updated after sooooo long is like an embarrassment to the company.
Agreed. How come they started getting so bad when I decided to become a switcher. At least come down on the price I might pay $350 for the 1.83 but thats still pushing it.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Wow, so now if I go buy either a Mac Pro or a Mac Mini (basically a Mac that needs a display).....Apple is telling me that I need to either:

a) Buy a 30" Cinema Display (as it's the only model with a DVI connection)
b) Buy someone else's display

Interesting Apple.

-Kevin

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
it is very strange that now you can't buy a mac pro with an apple monitor unless you want to splash out on the 30". What's going on?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Low end systems. If someone was buying the Mini say they are the type of person would might just be tempted to buy the 20" but the 24" would be too far off in terms of price.

But someone buying a low-end system probably won't buy an Apple monitor anyway, so why even stock things they won't buy?

That said I don't really care what apple does as I would most probably buy a dell screen over apples.

Oh, wait. You beat me to my own point. Why are you saying Apple should sell an item that you yourself wouldn't buy?

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Wow, so now if I go buy either a Mac Pro or a Mac Mini (basically a Mac that needs a display).....Apple is telling me that I need to either:

a) Buy a 30" Cinema Display (as it's the only model with a DVI connection)
b) Buy someone else's display

Interesting Apple.

-Kevin

the mini doesn't support the resolution of the 30" display... so basically you can't buy an Apple display to go with one of their desktops. Very very weird.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Damn, I was planning on getting one of these in a few weeks for my birthday. Do you think the Apple store will discontinue these immediately or will they sell out there remaining stock?

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
The Mac Pro and 30" Cinema Display are going to get simultaneous updates to Mini DisplayPort.

Then you'll be able to use both the 30" and the 24" with it.

This will be in March-June.

yes I think that's relatively obvious, but still strange to discontinue before new products are out

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's not totally absurd to suggest that Apple may be delaying the release of new products due to the weakening economy. This certainly could happen if they were sitting on substantial excess inventories of current products. This hasn't happened to Apple recently, but it has in the past, and we don't know how well Apple forecasted the current falloff in demand. I'd suggest watching the channels where Apple typically dumps excess product, such as Costco. If discounted iMacs start turning up at Costco, we'll have evidence that Apple goofed, and a reason to suspect this as the reason why some products haven't been updated on the usual schedule.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
The Mac Pro and 30" Cinema Display are going to get simultaneous updates to Mini DisplayPort.

Then you'll be able to use both the 30" and the 24" with it.

i would find it pretty funny is apple dropped dvi connection on the mac pro in favor of only having mini displayport

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
yes I think that's relatively obvious, but still strange to discontinue before new products are out

Apple stopped selling the iPhone 2G two months before the launch of the 3G (and a month before its announcement).

They don't want to have to deal with people returning stuff just to get the "best" anymore.

Except in this case, I really don't see a replacement for the 20" display.

i would find it pretty funny is apple dropped dvi connection on the mac pro in favor of only having mini displayport

There are Mini DisplayPort-DVI adapters. If you want to use DVI monitors, you can. Problem solved.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Meh. Cotton on to the fact Apple update less often, and with less impressive 'updates' each time - yet they act like it's the biggest thing the industry could expect. Bleh... Gave up hoping on significant and impressive updates that just make sense from Apple a while ago. The OS is really the only reason I am sticking with Apple and my Mac Pro, otherwise I'd be off for a while.

My last prediction for their bow-out from MacWorld fell flat, and that was a light prediction at best. Getting very bored with Apple hype now-a-days, which has become style over substance...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Apple is going to replace it with a new 20" glossy screen with a cheap TN pannel at the same price point. This will double Apple's margins on the monitor. Of course they will sell fewer screens but with double the margin the total profit is larger.

This seems to be the way Apple is headed lately: Cheap products at the same price.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's not totally absurd to suggest that Apple may be delaying the release of new products due to the weakening economy

He wasn't suggesting short term selling-through inventory delays:

"With all that said, Chowdhry estimates that 2010 would be a more reasonable year for Apple to release any form-factor upgrades for its desktop line, including the Mac Mini."

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My last prediction for their bow-out from MacWorld fell flat, and that was a light prediction at best. Getting very bored with Apple hype now-a-days, which has become style over substance...

So in your view:

Updating software with new features this year = Style

Previous years where we got changes like "iMac has black back" and "laptops are now thinner than ever" = Substance

Hmmm...ok.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
The Mac Pro and 30" Cinema Display are going to get simultaneous updates to only support Mini DisplayPort. If you want a different graphics card you're SOL as Apple can't be arsed to write drivers for anything else.

Then you'll only be able to use both the 30" and the 24" with it.

Corrected your post for you ;)

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'd like to see all ACDs go to LED.

Gilfanon

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
London town
Meanwhile, we are still patiently awaiting refreshes for the Mac mini, iMac and Mac Pro. The Mac Pro will not be updated before the release of the Nehalem Xeon processor which is due at the end of March. The new iMac and Mac mini, however, could be released at any time.

Ye Gods get on with it already Apple... I switched to Mac 18 months ago when I bought a Mac Book Pro, and 6 months ago my Windows desktop gave up the ghost and I started waiting for the new Mac Pros. I've now given up on the Mac Pro since it seems like it's going to be April if not later before it's updated (and I refuse to spend £3,000 on a computer that's a museum exhibit in comparison 2 months later). I urgently need to replace my desktop though, and have now been considering an iMac, but still the wait continues- it's interminable. I'm a month away from chucking in the towel and getting a Windows system that would at least be upgradeable, God knows how potential Mac Mini customers must feel with their wait...

Is this a consequence of Apple's fixation with the iPhone/Laptops/iPods? Have they simply lost interest in their desktop customers?

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I wish they'd let you use the 24" LED Display with other products in addition to their laptops.

The Tall One

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I am going to be really pissed off if I can't connect my new unibody MacBook Pro to my 23 inch DVI Apple cinema display.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
What about all of the users of previous generation MacBooks that lack the MiniDisplay Port output? Does this not leave them in the cold if Apple follows the same model they have for the 24" LED display?

They supposed to shell out more money for new computers of course.

Strange move, they must have sold out before the new one is ready!

Had to happen sometime, the panels used the in 20" have been out of production for roughly two years.

Like others have suggested, they probably waited for a) new machines to be ready, and b) desktop LED backlight prices to drop. 30" LED displays are on the market, but have a $3-4 grand price tag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.