Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will discontinue its physical Photo Books printing service later this year, as spotted by 9to5Mac. Using Photo Books, macOS users can choose from pictures taken on an iPhone or iPad, synced to the Mac Photos app, and build books, cards, calendars, and prints that are then mailed to them.

apple-photo-books-mac.jpg

Now, a new message has been spotted in the Photos app on macOS 10.13.6 and states that final purchases for the built-in photo printing service will need to be placed by September 30, 2018. Afterwards, it appears that Mac users will have to opt for third-party companies like Shutterfly to craft physical books made from their digital photos.

Apple explains that users can integrate these third-party services into Photos with a Photos Project Extension downloaded from the Mac App Store. With these extensions, apps like Shutterfly can integrate photo printing services into Apple's own Photos app so users don't have to leave the app to build their photo books.

9to5-photo-books.jpg
Image via 9to5Mac

For classic landscape-style books, Apple sells softcover books starting at $9.99 in a medium size, and increasing to $49.99 in hardcover and extra large size. Calendars are $19.99 each, cards start at $0.99, and posters for panoramic shots are also available for $12.99-$17.99. These prices should remain intact until the service shutters in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Discontinuing Physical Photo Books Printing Service Later This Year

Reactions: kareemjeiroudi

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I ordered prints (not a book) through this service last year (first time using them) and was actually quite disappointed with the lack of sharpness. Everything else was high quality but the image sharpness was poor. A friend commented on it as soon as he looked at them. I printed the same shot on my HP inkjet at home and compared. The HP was way sharper. I emailed Apple and they sent a new batch for free, but it was the same. I gave up after that and went to Mpix (which is excellent).

Seems to me Apple’s heart wasn’t in this. They were right to close it down.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
This is sad news. I’m pretty sure the only 2 users of this service will be very upset.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Huge disappointment. I ordered many beautiful books both hardback and softback over the years. The quality was really decent. I had everything from skiing/snowboarding holidays to books representing my athlete clients.

What a shame :( I still LOVE the real printed books and there's no way an iPad or whatever could ever replace that for me :)

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
This is a shame. Sure there are other services offering it, but most are subpar print quality, or they’re a bit better but they cost a LOT more. Steve would have kept this going, this is one of those “if Steve were still here...” situations for sure.

The print products were made in the USA too, no comment on possible job losses.

Last edited:

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
This is a shame. Sure there are other services offering it, but most are subpar print quality, or they’re a bit better but they cost a LOT more. Steve would have kept this going, this is one of those “if Steve were still here...” situations for sure.

The print products were made in the USA too, no comment on possible job losses.

Wasn't the iOS Cards app (and print service) discontinued under Steve?

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Read the article and still confused... Does this definitively mean that they aren't going to do the cards anymore either, or just the books?

I've made one of these cards every year around the holidays for the last nine years using the same template. It's kind of a tradition. Really sucks if the cards are going too.

I found Apple's book and card options and quality noticeably better than similar products through Shutterfly, etc.

Follow-up question: I still use iPhoto (can't give up the manual event splitting and most recent at top sorting)... does this mean they are going to release a "new" version of iPhoto with the Print ordering pieces ripped out?

Reactions: centauratlas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.