Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has discounted its BeatsX, Solo3 Wireless, and Powerbeats3 Wireless headphones by $40 to $60 for a limited time in the United States.

beats-w1-headphones-800x296.jpg
BeatsX -- $149.95, now $99.95
Beats Solo3 Wireless -- $299.95, now $239.95
Beats Powerbeats3 Wireless -- $199.95, now $159.95Apple's discount on Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones also applies to the newer "Neighborhood Collection" colors.

Apple's BeatsX deal matches some other retailers, but Amazon and Best Buy each have better deals on the Powerbeats3 Wireless and Solo3 Wireless, with the products on sale for as low as $134.99 and $199.99 respectively.

Like AirPods, the BeatsX, Solo3 Wireless, and Powerbeats3 Wireless are equipped with Apple's W1 chip for instant pairing with an iPhone. They can then simultaneously connect to an Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac via iCloud.

All three headphones feature Fast Fuel. Five minutes of charging provides up to three hours of playback for the Solo3 Wireless, two hours of playback for the BeatsX, and an hour of playback for the Powerbeats3 Wireless.

Apple's special Beats prices are available in the United States only for a limited time.

Disclaimer: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon and Best Buy and may get paid if you click one of the above links and make a purchase.

Article Link: Apple Discounts BeatsX, Solo3 Wireless, and Powerbeats3 Wireless by $40 to $60

Texh49

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
grabbed solo3 wireless from BB for 169$ last night. They price matched with Fry's who sold out quick!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
AFAICT, all Solo3 colors except purple? Which if course is the color my daughter wants... :(
That seems to be the color all the daughters want. We got ours a purple one last year. Not that it is any consolation, but my daughter doesn’t use them very often. She says they compress and hurt her ears. She’s back to using her cheap wired headphones most of the time that don’t squish so hard. The over ears ones seem comfortable, I have a very old version of them. But they are pretty expensive.

Reactions: John.B

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
If you sweat a lot, I don't recommend the powerbeats 3 for those looking for a good pair of workout headphones. I'm on my 4th set of replacement headphones and have stopped using them for workouts because my warranty is almost up and I don't want to deal with getting these replaced again. The sound is pretty good, but the build quality just isn't there with these. I bought a pair of $25 headphones from amazon that don't sound as good, but won't crap out on me during my long training sessions.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
That seems to be the color all the daughters want. We got ours a purple one last year. Not that it is any consolation, but my daughter doesn’t use them very often. She says they compress and hurt her ears. She’s back to using her cheap wired headphones most of the time that don’t squish so hard. The over ears ones seem comfortable, I have a very old version of them. But they are pretty expensive.

Studios are more comfortable on the ear than Solos...

Reactions: 5105973

hobocamp456

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
Absolutely do not but the powerbeats 3. They are terrible. I've gone through 3 pairs in less than a year and Apple refused to repair the 3 pair once they broke too. They're a piece of garbage.

BondFancy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
For those trashing the Powerbeats 3, what is a good replacement for Wireless earbuds? My father wants some for Christmas, but earbuds never stay in his ears, so he prefers the hooks like the Powerbeats 3, any suggestions?

Edit: These are for working out.

Last edited:

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Those headphones are not very good. I lost a pair and replaced with $25 wireless ones from amazon that have better sound and bass and have lasted 1.5 years with no problems.

All 3 models are not very good? Have you used all 3? I personally like my Beats X though I wouldn't pay full price for them. Which I didn't.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
For those trashing the Powerbeats 3, what is a good replacement for Wireless earbuds? My father wants some for Christmas, but earbuds never stay in his ears, so he prefers the hooks like the Powerbeats 3, any suggestions?

Edit: These are for working out.
I have a pair of the Powerbeats 3 and could not be more happy with them. I went through 3 pair of other bluetooth headphones for working out. The W1 experience is awesome for use with my iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. I got them last year as a Christmas gift and have used them 3-5 times a week since. Battery life is awesome and they stay in place while running because of the hook. I really don't know what problems others are having, but mine have been rock solid and would definitely recommend them. Maybe I just got lucky.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Beats changed how their headphones/earbuds sound, beginning when Apple bought them. Still bass heavy, but not at the expense of the rest of the audible spectrum like they used to be. IMO.

Thanks. I don't mind a "warm" sound, but I wasn't a fan of the sound that Lemmy famously trashed as "listening through a towel." I might spring for a pair then.

Reactions: John.B

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Beats X was the worst product I have ever purchased. Not even close to as good as AirPods. I can’t belive the sound quality. People say there is too much bass in Beats, there is none in Beats X. Terrible product.

Reactions: rishic89

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Studios are more comfortable on the ear than Solos...

Seems to be the reverse with the Studio 3's ... a LOT of reports on the Canadian Apple store stating great headphones but returned due to clamping pressure on the ear or around the head.

Meanwhile in Canada still no discount from Apple ... BUT
Best Buy:
Solo 3's - $269.99CAN (down from $329.99)
Studio 3's - $329.99CAN (down from $399.99) Effective yesterday until Nov 20th.

PS: BOTH have W1 chip, Fast Charge and 40hr battery life (non ANC).
NOTE: Solo3's CAN be used with no power/charge as wired headphones, the Studio's canNOT! Further Fast Charge on Solo is 10mins for 3hrs battery life, Studio is 15mins for 3hrs.

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Pretty rare for Apple.com to ever discount any of their products. I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about this.

Reactions: eyeseeyou
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.