Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today dropped the price of the MLS Season Pass to $29 for the rest of the season, allowing soccer fans to get access at a discount.

apple-tv-mls-season-pass.jpg

As noted by TechCrunch, MLS is $14.99 per month or $29 for the remainder of the 2023 season. Apple TV+ subscribers can get the MLS Pass for $13 per month, or $25 for the rest of the season. When the season began in February, access was priced at $79 for Apple TV+ subscribers or $99 for those without a subscription.

The 2023 Major League Soccer season will run through October 21, and the MLS Season Pass will also include live coverage of the playoffs that are set to take place from October 25 to December 9.

Article Link: Apple Discounts MLS Season Pass

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

ThatOnePaulGuy

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
ok fr though I almost thought this said "Apple Discontinues MLS Season Pass" and I was like "This early?!" but no :)

Nice to get a discount though!

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Same! I've really enjoyed watching Messi dominate. It's like he activated a cheat code.
It’s not even fair. Even at his age, which is considered the tail end of a career, he is destroying his opponents. MLS defenders are poor. He made an insane pass last week to his teammate and no one marked him. They just stood around and left him alone. A pass back to him and goal.

I’d love to see what Mbappe would do here. Or even Harry Kane.

poseidondev

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
I think the problem here is that the MLS is a product without a solid target audience.

Most hardcore football fans won’t care much for the MLS because of the skill ceiling (see Messi v. the rest of MLS) and would much rather prefer access to European football, and the ones that don’t care for European football also won’t care much for MLS.

This leaves a sliver of a demographic for whom football is more of a curiosity in between other sports, and I don’t think that demographic is broad enough to sustain the MLS product.

Which is probably why they’re throwing around discounts and deals in an effort to attract people.

I think the only way forward is to try and secure more rights so that the MLS package can be broadened into a general football package that includes juggernauts such as UEFA, Premier League and Bundesliga.

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
MLB.TV is only $30 for rest of the season too. Seasons only have a month or so left.

iFishishh

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2015
MR mods heads-rent free
I’m guessing Apple didn’t hit the projected subscribers that were hoping for around this quarter. Sucks that in order to watch Messi play now, you need an Apple subscription. They should just sell off their MLS streaming rights to the next highest bidder. Make soccer available to all in our country to watch for free and watch the USA become a force to be reckoned with. It pains me to see how terrible we do compared to other countries

robgreene

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
I think the problem here is that the MLS is a product without a solid target audience.

Most hardcore football fans won’t care much for the MLS because of the skill ceiling (see Messi v. the rest of MLS) and would much rather prefer access to European football, and the ones that don’t care for European football also won’t care much for MLS.

This leaves a sliver of a demographic for whom football is more of a curiosity in between other sports, and I don’t think that demographic is broad enough to sustain the MLS product.

Which is probably why they’re throwing around discounts and deals in an effort to attract people.

I think the only way forward is to try and secure more rights so that the MLS package can be broadened into a general football package that includes juggernauts such as UEFA, Premier League and Bundesliga.

The reason for the discount is not because the product is failing. In fact, subscriptions have doubled in the past month since Messi's arrival. The reason for the discount is because there are 7 games left (plus playoffs) in a 34-game regular season. It doesn't make sense to charge the original $79/99 price when 80% of the regular season matches have already been played.

Look around at other sports leagues. You'll find similar promotions mid-season.

Last edited:

poseidondev

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
The reason for the discount is now because the product is failing. In fact, subscriptions have doubled in the past month since Messi's arrival. The reason for the discount is because there are 7 games left (plus playoffs) in a 34-game regular season. It doesn't make sense to charge the original $79/99 price when 80% of the regular season matches have already been played.

Look around at other sports leagues. You'll find similar promotions mid-season.
You make a good point, I don't know about the subscriber numbers (don't even know if Apple makes them public), but it does make sense to provide a discount towards the end of the season.

Additionally I also forgot to mention a specific demographic, namely the die-hard Messi fans.

That said, I maintain that the plan would be more attractive if Apple manages to secure more rights.

Reactions: LinusR

Eradik

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I’m guessing Apple didn’t hit the projected subscribers that were hoping for around this quarter. Sucks that in order to watch Messi play now, you need an Apple subscription. They should just sell off their MLS streaming rights to the next highest bidder. Make soccer available to all in our country to watch for free and watch the USA become a force to be reckoned with. It pains me to see how terrible we do compared to other countries
It hit record numbers. All sports packages are discounted as the season winds down. No other reason.

mattoruu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
USA already is a force to be reckoned with. We do very well most years. It was a heartbreaking loss on penalty kicks at this World Cup though. I thought for sure that Naeher had made the save (immediately after she had made her own penalty kick), but it JUST rolled over the line. Just an inch (maybe less than an inch) decided the game. A shame, but still a great game.

• Sad
Reactions: iFishishh

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Pretty much NFL, MLB and other major sport passes get discounted heavily with 20% season left.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
Or, you know, hard to charge full price with less than two months of the season left. It’s not that complicated.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
It’s not even fair. Even at his age, which is considered the tail end of a career, he is destroying his opponents. MLS defenders are poor. He made an insane pass last week to his teammate and no one marked him. They just stood around and left him alone. A pass back to him and goal.

I’d love to see what Mbappe would do here. Or even Harry Kane.

Mbappe, the guy who lost the world cup with the best squad in the world (France) against Messi?

Mbappe can bring the performance of the team down if you see how Mbappe doesn't get along with other players.

Last edited:

robgreene

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
You make a good point, I don't know about the subscriber numbers (don't even know if Apple makes them public), but it does make sense to provide a discount towards the end of the season.

Additionally I also forgot to mention a specific demographic, namely the die-hard Messi fans.

That said, I maintain that the plan would be more attractive if Apple manages to secure more rights.
The source on the numbers is Miami's owner, who shared via X:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
That is quite a high price for a league that still has to gain popularity. Most Americans only got interested in MLS when they heard that Messi had joined.

Latino's account for 20% of the US population and Messi (who is also a latino) will pull them into MLS. Especially since soccer is a big sport in those type of countries.

I can see latino's spending this type of money no problem with Messi playing and that is a large audience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.