Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
I’m guessing Apple didn’t hit the projected subscribers that were hoping for around this quarter. Sucks that in order to watch Messi play now, you need an Apple subscription. They should just sell off their MLS streaming rights to the next highest bidder. Make soccer available to all in our country to watch for free and watch the USA become a force to be reckoned with. It pains me to see how terrible we do compared to other countries
US soccer is still in its infancy. It literally started a century late. The shot callers are not MLS but NFL, NHL, NBA. I believe Apple is asking way too much for an MLS subscription which is the reason for this discount. It’s quite amusing how Messi’s face is all over Apple TV while the interest in MLS is so limited.

iFishishh

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2015
MR mods heads-rent free
It hit record numbers. All sports packages are discounted as the season winds down. No other reason.
Source? last i checked Apple didn’t Make any numbers public. It’s true they admitted subscriptions have increased but it’s likely not as high as they hoped. Plus Messi is getting a cut himself. it’s very likely the roi isn’t what they hoped for. Regardless I’d like to see if they retain mls streaming rights when Messi leaves. ”nO 0tHwR ReAsON” 🤡

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
The Apple MLS deal is a long-term investment. They want to see the numbers go up in years 2, 3, 4. Messi is great, but the goal is to create a virtuous circle between better players - bigger audiences - bigger revenues. If the peak was today, there’d be something seriously wrong in their planning and execution.

Having said that, this is a US league, so I really think they should charge less worldwide than in the US to broaden their audience. Cut the price in half. And then bring it back up in a few years if the value is there for international fans.

Sucks that in order to watch Messi play now, you need an Apple subscription.
Just to clarify: You don’t need to buy Apple TV+ at all to get the MLS subscription.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Regardless I’d like to see if they retain mls streaming rights when Messi leaves

The deal they struck is for 10 years, and it’s incredibly unlikely either party will try and break that contract early, so unless Messi goes on playing until his mid-40s, then yeah, Apple are going to retain the rights when Messi leaves.

It’s also incredibly funny that you demand “source?” from the previous poster and then in the very next sentence slide straight into speculation and conjecture with “it’s likely not as high as they hoped… it’s very likely the roi isn’t what they hoped for,” based on absolutely nothing. Source??

Oh and btw, doing the aLtErNaTiNg CaSe thing to try and ridicule someone online is incredibly cringe. It’s 2023, come on man.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
I believe Apple is asking way too much for an MLS subscription which is the reason for this discount.

You couldn’t be more wrong. There’s 6 weeks left in the season. It’s a discount, because every annual sports subscription discounts after 3/4 of the season is over. MLB.tv was discounted 50% after the All Star Break, for example. Standard industry fare.

tcp/ip

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
They can give it away for free it's an absolute farmers league on par with the Saudi league.

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
People in the US overwhelmingly don't watch soccer. People outside the US don't watch MLS.

I would bet there are more Latino NFL fans in the US than MLS fans, and by a substantial margin.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
If I could watch MLB for half price on ATV+ with no región blocking for home games, I’d be all over it, but soccer….. I just can’t make myself care about it. 🥱

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I think the problem here is that the MLS is a product without a solid target audience.

Most hardcore football fans won’t care much for the MLS because of the skill ceiling (see Messi v. the rest of MLS) and would much rather prefer access to European football, and the ones that don’t care for European football also won’t care much for MLS.

This leaves a sliver of a demographic for whom football is more of a curiosity in between other sports, and I don’t think that demographic is broad enough to sustain the MLS product.

Which is probably why they’re throwing around discounts and deals in an effort to attract people.

I think the only way forward is to try and secure more rights so that the MLS package can be broadened into a general football package that includes juggernauts such as UEFA, Premier League and Bundesliga.
It’s discounted because they are nearly at the end of the season. NFL game pass in international markets does the same thing when the season is nearly over.

Apple will eventually get more football (soccer) rights as you point out that they should. The Premier League rights go to auction late this year/early next year.

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
Platform and hardware locked content not created by the provider should be banned. Regardless of the quality of the product (pointing finger at the quality of MLS as a league).

abowlby

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Eastern US
They would probably sell a ton of “Messi-Tier” subs. Discounted rate but you only get games with Messi playing in them. I jest, but…theres truth there.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
They would probably sell a ton of “Messi-Tier” subs. Discounted rate but you only get games with Messi playing in them. I jest, but…theres truth there.
It would make a mockery of their all for one, one for all policy though. The MLS is structured so that every team gets the same from the league in terms of sponsorship, broadcast revenue, and kit manufacturer deals.
Having a package that allows only 1 club’s matches to be shown would start making an argument that only Inter Miami should get that revenue. Before you know it you are following the top heavy leagues of Europe.

abowlby

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Eastern US
It would make a mockery of their all for one, one for all policy though. The MLS is structured so that every team gets the same from the league in terms of sponsorship, broadcast revenue, and kit manufacturer deals.
Having a package that allows only 1 club’s matches to be shown would start making an argument that only Inter Miami should get that revenue. Before you know it you are following the top heavy leagues of Europe.
Often in business business decisions are made in lieu of moralistic ones.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
US soccer is still in its infancy. It literally started a century late. The shot callers are not MLS but NFL, NHL, NBA. I believe Apple is asking way too much for an MLS subscription which is the reason for this discount. It’s quite amusing how Messi’s face is all over Apple TV while the interest in MLS is so limited.
MLB, NFL and other pro sports discount towards end of the season. NFL after week 10-11 is dirt cheap.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Things that haven't changed, Signup for studio time is worse than ever. Locations are now overflowing with cheap memberships and other consulting from the merger parent club. Prices have increased. Staff are turning around budget cutting with cheaper instructors. If there is a positive showing because the stock is increasing. It's because they are cutting staff and other necessities for running each club. Looking at the stockholder aspect how are you seeing any hope? At this stock price, it's high but 1000 yen is not possible. The 100-year perspective of Japanese aging society and the increase of 70-year-old members. Doesn't equate to a real value company. Mid 900 yen stock is where home. Because looking how This company is showing no care for its members and increasing quality studio classes results in
Wow! Those are two words I never thought I'd see together in a sentence... "Apple" and "discounts". :p

short-term member retention.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
MLB, NFL and other pro sports discount towards end of the season. NFL after week 10-11 is dirt cheap.
Totally forgot about the MLB. Yes, but who really cares that late in the season? Only the TV/streaming providers that want to make a quick buck.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Platform and hardware locked content not created by the provider should be banned. Regardless of the quality of the product (pointing finger at the quality of MLS as a league).

im confused, its not platform or hardware locked?

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
It’s not even fair. Even at his age, which is considered the tail end of a career, he is destroying his opponents. MLS defenders are poor. He made an insane pass last week to his teammate and no one marked him. They just stood around and left him alone. A pass back to him and goal.

I’d love to see what Mbappe would do here. Or even Harry Kane.
Even at his age Messi is still the best player in the world so nobody would be able to match his impact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.