Apple Doesn't Deliberately Slow Down Older Devices According to Benchmark Analysis

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Nice Y-Axis range on the graphs. Is this a joke?

2. az431 macrumors regular

ummm. what????

3. Renegade72 Suspended

Renegade72

It never in my experience happened. Not a single time. I never had a genius suggesting a new device when I was asking for support.

4. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

this.
    see my comment above as well, about the graph being misleading.
    the y axis needs to be expanded to show the differences better.

5. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Haven't done many comparisons but when I compared an iOS 6 vs iOS 10 iPhone 5, it wasn't even close.

6. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Lots of words. I have one word for this “research”: irrelevant.

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

This is crap. I want head to head comparisons with video showing the slow down in actual performance with opening apps and using the phone with normal tasks.
    Not some generated performance analysis.
    My 7+ was super fast when I had ios10 for the last year. Ios11 it’s laggy. No way around this.
    Is it ios11? It’s very noticeable

8. Lemonsoon macrumors member

Lauching messages takes 5 sec of white screen
    Launchin phone to check messages takes 5 sec of white screen before the touchpad for dialing appears
    This is with nothing running and the phone being unlocked to check messages orvmake call on iphone 6
    Utter ****ing ********

9. joueboy macrumors 65816

So we just forget how Apple crippled that iPhone 3G with iOS 4 update? Maybe they don’t do that anymore they found a way to just drain older iPhones battery, then immediately lock down the older version. My iPad mini is a slow as hell after iOS 9 update. Just accessing the music app is ridiculously slow.

10. Guy Clark macrumors 6502

No they with every new iOS release purposely make it so it requires more resources thus making older devices slower.

In other words planned obsolescence through the back door.

11. ComRadMac macrumors newbie

iOS 10 completely nerfed my iphone 5. It went from fine in 9 to nigh-unusable in 10. Got a 5S, everything went back to normal.

I'm scared 11 is going to nerf my 5S, though.

12. mebehere macrumors regular

Additionally, Apple doesn't simply announce a new major iOS update, they actively encourage you to install it, even though it's gonna snail your device.

That's why I have a little red 1 on my settings app and the occasional pop up saying "do it." They don't warn of the consequences.

13. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

The fact this is even a thing is laughable. Of course Apple isn't slowing down devices intentionally. As new devices come out they add software features that take advantage of the new devices power. These features may not run as well on older devices. Welcome to computing since...the beginning.

14. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Fine, then they should either warn people of the probable consequences of upgrading and/or make it easier for people to remain on, or go back to, whatever version worked best for them.

EDIT: ...and/or limit devices to 2 - 3 upgrades.

15. WilliamG macrumors 604

EXACTLY. This article proves absolutely nothing.

16. UKinEK macrumors member

UKinEK

Then people would complain, they got just some “stupid lite version” and not a proper full one

People on Macrumour will ALWAYS find a reason to complain.

I read Macrumours mostly for my own entertainment from comments, more than for the actual posts :)

17. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

Android users may have to wait longer for updates but when they do get them, the devices actually improve in performance. Android updates ensure that even the lowest denominator will have smoother performance with updates when they do come. The artificial slowdowns of iPhones/ipads has been going on for years and the GPU and CPU has always been so-called ahead of everyone else yet it doesn't stop the slowdowns and stutters.

18. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Don't Apple have the ability to optimize the ios 11 for specific models?

19. Seoras macrumors regular

Seoras

I've been wondering if flash memory fragmentation is an issue?
    So, yes, CPU/GPU performance doesn't explain why my iPhone6 Plus is slower than a week in jail since I put 11 on it.
    But it had been slowing down noticeably before I updated.
    It makes me wonder if I was to erase and re-install from iCloud backup would I see any performance gains?

20. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Could care less about benchmarks. My iPhone 6+ runs like total garbage on iOS 11. End of story.

21. UKinEK macrumors member

UKinEK

I would love if there would be a restore to the version the phone originally came with.

If you look and the GPU and CPU yearly increases, then 3 years old device is almost a relic :) and they always put new technologies to take advantage of the new hardware.
    Older hardware cannot keep up.

With all honestly, slap a control center and a few newer features on iOS6 and I would take any day over any other iOS

22. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I don't care what anyone says. They slow these phones down. My iPhone 6+ is slow as hell now. It lags on everything. My wife 6s+ does just fine after the update. You need at least a 6+ to run the new OS.

23. fairuz, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

fairuz macrumors regular

fairuz

Doesn't invalidate anything, or really say anything other than that the hardware itself hasn't gotten slower. The theory is that they intentionally make the newer OSs take more resources. It's pretty obvious that the new OSs take more resources, and this doesn't test that. IDK if Apple does it on purpose, nor do I care, so I'm not going to point fingers.

24. deany macrumors 68030

deany

6S, but yes I agree.

25. fairuz macrumors regular

fairuz

Google is way more guilty of pushing heavier and heavier software (on their websites), and they're actually disincentivized from doing that. I'll bet it's just getting slower because they're adding more features, and maybe their quality is slipping. Doubt it's intentional.