Apple doesn't seem to be very competitive lately...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dustman, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Is it just me, or does Apple seem to get more expensive as the days pass? I love OS X, and all of Apple's other products. I need to buy a new laptop for school but i find it hard to justify spending a grand on a macbook when i can get an inspiron that out specs it for around 700 CDN. Any thoughts? I just wish SJ would produce real "Consumer" computers.

2. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I usually don't agree with doing this, but........

Did you try the "Search" function in MacRumors?

There's about 5 gazillion threads on pricing comparisons between Macs and PC's. Don't really see where this thread is going to add anything new.

And by the way, it's not that Macs are expensive, it's that PC's are cheap.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

4. Dustman thread starter macrumors 65816

Dustman

I know, I just wish Apple had a few more options on the lower end. Even on lower spec machines it would still be faster and more elegant than using any PC. Since I really only need it for light weight stuff, I don't need a 2.4 Ghz Core 2.

5. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I would gladly pay $300 more for a Mac over a pc.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Apple's way has never been about being competitive. With all of the threads like this, it comes down to using a Mac is like driving a luxury sports car, you are paying for something that not everybody has. So I do not see where you are trying to get with Apple not being competitive lately, as Apple has never been competitive with their computers, they have always been different and for the most part, "It Just Works."

7. Dustman thread starter macrumors 65816

Dustman

I wasn't really trying to be quite that harsh. They are in some aspects, such as the iPhone, iPods, and iMacs. But I find that they rarely drop their prices as the costs of components go down in their consumer machines.

Anyways, I think I'm going to stretch my budget and get a refurbed Macbook. $949 isnt too bad, but its a bit overkill for me.

8. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Looks like you're in the market for a used mac, if you don't need the speed then why don't you grab an older one on ebay or something? (then they are MUCH cheaper ;)) Apple stays pretty cutting edge, if you're buying new it is going to be fast (and expensive). :) :apple:

9. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

You get what you pay for.

I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy using an $1100 MacBook much more than you would a $700 Vista Laptop...just a hunch.

10. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Then don't get it. You can save a lot of money getting a Windowized PC, but you'll get a lot more headaches! Don't forget to add for the cost of aspiriin :p

If you're so chummy w/Steve Jobs, why don't you call him up and ask him for a friend's discount :p

11. shdowman macrumors member

Let me add in one word to this "Resale"

The resale value of Macs are amazing. Go and compare a 1 year old macbook with a 1 year old PC Laptop. Let me know what you come up with.

Also, it truly is about preference. As SO MANY other threads/posters say in here over and over and over again, if you want a PC then get one....if you want a Mac, yes you will pay a little more. If you know about macs and really are convinced on getting one, you really shouldn't need any of us telling you the reason why to get one over a PC.

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Kinda bad time for Apple…

The Mac Pro's the only really competitive Mac in Apple's lineup right now.
    • The iMac, although it has a 1067 MHz FSB, doesn't have quad-core processors
    • The MacBooks and MacBook Pros are due for a redesign, including a trackpad redesign
    • The MacBook Air is first-generation. It might get more competitive with a refresh
    • The Mac mini… wait… when was it last updated again?
    • Apple says they will reduce margins, which means either/both lower prices or/and better specs
    • Apple may be purposely avoiding a small and/or cheap Mac notebook because they may be planning a larger iPod touch to fill this gap
    I'd say let's look at this again once the notebooks get redesigned. That would be a start.

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Apple profit margins on its average computer sale are around 30%, sometimes more.

Dell's profit margins are nowhere close to that.

Apple doesn't need to be competitive in the sub $1000 range. It wants to sell more expensive machines which net them more money.

Honestly, on a $399 laptop, how much do you think is profit?

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

In the end though, it's just a computer. (Dons flame retardant gear). :)

Decide on what's important, and choose accordingly. If you decide on a Mac, you have no choice but to pay Apple's prices. Otherwise, you buy something else. OS X can be had in a Hackintosh afterall. ;)

Ultimately, our purchases are the only message that really counts to corporations. :eek:

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

That inspiron won't run OS X.

The whole line of laptops is clearly about to be refreshed, probably with a redesign as well.

They'll have the newest tech from Intel, and apparently something that "the competition can't match." As for being cheapest, that won't be an Apple.

16. LinMac macrumors 65816

Within the mainstream computer buying public I think I can sum up the reason Macs are so popular with one overgeneralizing statement...

Macintosh: At least it isn't Windows Vista.

How well will your $700 Inspiron run with Windows Vista? How happy will you be with it? How much outsourced technical support and warranty fulfillment are you willing to put up with to save the extra money?

Apple products cost extra and it is up to you to decide if they are worth it. We're seen rumors that Apple might drop prices in the future at some point, but that is all just rumor at the moment. If you like playing the waiting game (or can play it) then wait with the rest of us. :D

17. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Price competition is not the only form of competitiveness.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

No, but it helps. :p

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'm hoping to God that the rumoured lower profit margin on the new laptops means that they are actually going to spend that money on making them actually work, and not be the poorly made low quality heaps of crap that they are now. To hell with lower prices, do you really want them to be Walmart?

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

Quality control has come up in a few other threads. Some companies do better than others, but I can't think of too many companies that manage to avoid it. :(

As far as Apple becoming Walmart, I doubt SJ would. Probably couldn't stomach the comparison. :p

21. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

It sure does!!!!!!!

22. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Call it blind fanboyism if you will, but I don't actually think Steve's to blame over all this. Although he's the CEO, if he doesn't do what the shareholders and directors want (huge profit) then they can oust him.

I think Steves perfect Apple, would be to sell just 4 products, the iMac, Mac Pro, Macbook, and Macbook Pro, at high prices, but along with those prices comes excellent quality, and excellent support, and thats it. And thats what I would love Apple to be, a company that sells expensive computers, but those computers are the best hardware, running the best operating system. Sort of like Bang & Olufsen.

To hell with all these $799 heaps of junk, its called false economy. If you really want Apple to sell computers at that price then you need to leave that PC mentality behind when you start using a Mac.

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Apple is extremely competitive in the areas they want to be competitive in. They basically own the >$1000 laptop market. Nobody comes close there. There is nothing that competes with a MacPro. There is nothing that competes with an iMac. There is nothing that compares with the MacBook Air.

But Apple doesn't compete by adding "specs". They compete by producing the best user experience. You've got the choice: Paying 700 CDN for same specs and bad user experience, or paying 1000 CDN for same specs and excellent user experience. There are very few cases where the specs are more important.

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, Steve answers to others, and if not happy, they could dismiss him. No, I don't think Steve Jobs is to blame for everything. He just catches it though due to his position. ;) :p
    I'm not so sure about that. I've the impression he likes the other products quite well. :)

BTW, Bang & Olufsen is quite arguable. They make interesting styling, but when you get to the circuits, better can be had for similar money. :eek:
    If you meant style, yes, I'd agree. Quite lovely to look at. Usability is decent too. ;)
    Bargain computers are a false economy. I absolutely agree with that sentiment. Unfortunately, when I try to make this point to others, it tends to fall on deaf ears. :( They can't get past the sticker price, and realize not all things are equal. :rolleyes:

And no, I don't want to see Apple, or anyone else, produce junk. That doesn't mean they can't be a bit more competitive on the hardware end without landing in the "trash heap". ;)

OS X is what truly separates Apple from the crowd. (Industrial design not withstanding). :) Software also tends to be much more profitable than hardware. Economy of scale applies to my way of thinking. Many have argued that if Apple extended their OS to run on other systems, details aside, the quality would dump. I honestly believe that it's possible with proper oversight. A tall order, I know, but doable. :D

Though the market may be ripe, it's not likely to happen given Apple's history.
    I can dream though. :D :p

25. 7031 macrumors 6502

Last time I called they had American tech support, without me even telling them my service code. I told them my service code, and five seconds later, Indian tech support. Well, they might have just been an immigrant, but yeah. Even so, they were very helpful.

Apple however, I was correcting them last time I called.