MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it will donate $1 to (RED) for every purchase made with Apple Pay on Apple.com, through the Apple Store app, or at an Apple Store worldwide through December 2, up to a total of $1 million.

apple-pay-red-donations-2019-800x304.jpg

Apple says 100 percent of all proceeds generated by (RED) partners goes to fund HIV/AIDS programs in Africa, as part of The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria. Since 2006, Apple has raised over $220 million for (RED) through the sale of red-colored products and accessories.

In honor of World AIDS Day on December 1, many Apple Stores will also likely turn their logos red during the first week of December.

Article Link: Apple Donating $1 to (RED) for Every Apple Store Purchase Made With Apple Pay Ahead of World AIDS Day

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
In the West, HIV is largely caught through unsafe sex, drug use and promiscuity. Nobody deserves to get it, but many who do have themselves to blame. I would rather see Apple give to other diseases such as childhood cancer, meningitis or malaria.

Last edited:
Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
So uhh how much do you guys want to bet that they will absolutely meet the $1M maximum haha. 1 million transactions between their own stores, app and website?

That’s gonna be a piece of cake.

Comment

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
In the West, HIV is largely caught through unsafe sex, drug use and promiscuity. Nobody deserves to get ir, but many who do have themselves to blame. I would rather see Apple give to other diseases such as childhood cancer, meningitis or malaria.

You know you just done goofed right?
[automerge]1574696915[/automerge]
So uhh how much do you guys want to bet that they will absolutely meet the $1M maximum haha. 1 million transactions between their own stores, app and website?

That’s gonna be a piece of cake.

I kind of chuckled when I saw through Apple Pay on Apple.com etc. The headline should be more like you can donate money to AIDS and Apple can take credit for it literally.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In the West, HIV is largely caught through unsafe sex, drug use and promiscuity. Nobody deserves to get it, but many who do have themselves to blame. I would rather see Apple give to other diseases such as childhood cancer, meningitis or malaria.

You're brave making a comment like that in a public forum! I don't disagree with you, but RED supports the AIDS efforts around the world, too, largely in Africa. Many children are born with HIV, so they are in the same group as you mentioned that Apple should be supporting.

I'm no expert on this subject, but I think that Apple has their heart in the right place, and we should not pit one disease against another. All need to be conquered.

Comment

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Reactions: szw-mapple fan
Comment

guerro

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Parts Unknown
THE ONE CAMPAIGN 2018:

Total Revenue - 23.5 Million
Salaries, other compensation, employee benefits - 15 Million
Net - 8.5 Million (36%)

Should tell you everything you need to know about this scam.

Reactions: spinnyd
Comment

NavySilver

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
New York, NY
The stereotype that tech nerds have no joy in life is rampant everywhere on sites like YouTube, and every time when I think MacRumors could be an exception these threads continuously prove me wrong. We're living in 2019, we need to smile more.

Comment

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The stereotype that tech nerds have no joy in life is rampant everywhere on sites like YouTube, and every time when I think MacRumors could be an exception these threads continuously prove me wrong. We're living in 2019, we need to smile more.
"But Apple hasn't updated my preferred product in _ years."

Comment

Akrapovic

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland

You know when you see a car crash happening, but you can't look away? That's this post.

Comment

lartola

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2017
Nice. Already use Apple Pay anyways, but this is a nice addition.
Yeah. But they should at least be donating $1 for every purchase made with apple pay anywhere, not just for purchases made through Apple’s outlets.

Also, the part where it says ‘at an apple store worldwide’ is not true, because not all Apple stores in the world accept apple pay. Only the Apple Stores located in countries where Apple Pay is supported accept it. Even in countries where contactless payment is otherwise ubiquitous, Apple deliberately keeps the NFC readers turned off at all its stores if Apple Pay hasn’t been officially launched in those countries. If the stores can’t take Apple Pay, then they won’t take any other form of contactless payment either is Apple’s motto apparently.
[automerge]1574706660[/automerge]
You're brave making a comment like that in a public forum! I don't disagree with you, but RED supports the AIDS efforts around the world, too, largely in Africa. Many children are born with HIV, so they are in the same group as you mentioned that Apple should be supporting.

I'm no expert on this subject, but I think that Apple has their heart in the right place, and we should not pit one disease against another. All need to be conquered.
But Apple’s goodwill is very limited. Why are they only donating $1 for every purchase made through any of their outlets? They should be donating $1 for every purchase made anywhere using apple pay (they could take it from the fees they collect from participating banks).

Last edited:
Reactions: tridley68
Comment

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006

Like any disease, it's simply bad luck that you get it and ANY partner could have it (unless they've done an HIV test that day and you can confirm they have been with nobody else for 3 months).

You could have it for 10 years and not know as well! If you get tested regularly and make sure every partner you've ever been with has 3 months of abstinence and a current test then good on you. However, the majority don't and they still don't have HIV.

Further, HIV functionally been cured (and IMO will be fully cured within 10-20 years). There's options like PEP and PREP available that put your odds of getting it down to a statistical error. For those who have HIV, current medicine 'cures' it (i.e. they can safely have sex without being a risk to others if medicate) but it comes back when they go off the meds because the current-gen meds don't attack the reservoir. The next-gen meds attack the reservoir and as I said, I reckon we will see them pretty soon.

IMO blaming people is counterproductive and bigoted because the majority of us have fun and don't get it (literally ANYBODY I slept with at uni coulda had it... one mighta even had it, just I lucked out and didn't catch it for all I know). The focus should be on funding new treatments and making current meds available to everybody regardless of wealth/ethnicity.

Will $1 from every $1500 spent on a red iPhone (specifically using Apple Pay) REALLY make a difference though? I like the idea of the cause but you're giving that money to Apple if you buy product red. I suggest that if people wanna make a REAL difference rather than a token difference when getting a shiny new product, they should donate towards HIV research.

Reactions: Stars&Stripes
Comment

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Apple donates to RED every year. This is just their way of getting some ApplePay promotional mileage out of it, while they're at it. It's a win-win, no problem.

Comment

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Does the Apple Store offer anything for less than a dollar?

Also, there is nothing wrong with investigating charities, and further only donating to those which spend a majority of their money on actual charity work.

Comment

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
HIV is a disease largely affecting a few high-risk demographics.
Statistics dont care about mainstream propaganda narratives, and facts dont care about feelings.

Reactions: spinnyd
Comment

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
Nice for Apple to do this.

But still I wish they do more. 1 million is literally nothing for a company which reach 1 trillion. 1 million is nothing for its CEO or one of its top board member. If they can spend billions for TV+ I think they can spend more for this cause if they really are into it. But deep inside me feels like its a marketing strategy and it is sick to profit from others misery and pain.
[automerge]1574724557[/automerge]
HIV is a disease largely affecting a few high-risk demographics.
Statistics dont care about mainstream propaganda narratives, and facts dont care about feelings.
Well, general statistics are just numbers, they provide only half the story. They don't provide us with the context of the whole situation.

Comment

Khedron

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Nice for Apple to do this.

But still I wish they do more. 1 million is literally nothing for a company which reach 1 trillion. 1 million is nothing for its CEO or one of its top board member. If they can spend billions for TV+ I think they can spend more for this cause if they really are into it. But deep inside me feels like its a marketing strategy and it is sick to profit from others misery and pain.
[automerge]1574724557[/automerge]

Well, general statistics are just numbers, they provide only half the story. They don't provide us with the context of the whole situation.

For some perspective, remember that Apple spends $150m a year reserving flights to Shanghai just in case they decide to use them.

$1m is offensively low. Add in their exploitative condition that it’s only using their payment method in their store and it’s practically stealing from charities, especially when you factor in tax breaks and advertising value.
[automerge]1574731814[/automerge]
That advertising headline of “Apple Pay saves lives” is also tacky AF (and possibly illegal in some countries with strict laws on accurate advertising)

Last edited:
Comment

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Expected a comment saying cancel the ATV+ shows that suck and donate that money.

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For some perspective, remember that Apple spends $150m a year reserving flights to Shanghai just in case they decide to use them.

$1m is offensively low. Add in their exploitative condition that it’s only using their payment method in their store and it’s practically stealing from charities, especially when you factor in tax breaks and advertising value.
[automerge]1574731814[/automerge]
That advertising headline of “Apple Pay saves lives” is also tacky AF (and possibly illegal in some countries with strict laws on accurate advertising)

It’s also worth remembering that the very definition of a donation implies that it is strictly on a voluntary basis. Apple is no more obligated to donate a single cent than they have to release an updated Mac Pro.

Reactions: I7guy
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.