Apple Donating $10 to National Park Foundation for Every Apple Store Apple Pay Purchase From August 17 to 25

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple today sent out emails to customers about its latest Apple Pay promo, which will see the company donating $10 to the National Park Foundation for Apple Pay purchases made from the Apple Store.

From August 17 to August 25, Apple will make a $10 donation with every Apple Pay purchase made at any Apple retail store, the Apple.com website, or the Apple Store app.

The National Park Foundation is the charitable partner of the National Park Service, and it aims to "enhance everyone's ability to enjoy the natural, cultural, and historic treasures within America's national parks."

Apple's new Apple Pay promotion comes ahead of a National Park Fee-Free day, which takes place on August 25. On this day, admission is free for all national parks that normally have a fee for entry.

On August 25, earn an award inspired by Grand Canyon National Park's 100th anniversary. Record a walk, run, hike, or wheelchair workout of at least three miles (4.8KM) - the distance of the South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge and back. #AppleWatch #CloseYourRings pic.twitter.com/JygWIXcnzP - Kyle Seth Gray (@kylesethgray) August 14, 2019

August 25 is the date of Apple's next Apple Watch challenge, which will ask participants to record a walk, run, or hike of at least three miles to win a Grand Canyon-themed award, and it is also the National Park Service's birthday.

Article Link: Apple Donating $10 to National Park Foundation for Every Apple Store Apple Pay Purchase From August 17 to 25

Westside guy

macrumors 603
So I just bought a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter for $9.99 via the Store app. I've actually got a bunch of older MagSafe power adapters laying around, and while I do have one adapter already I've been meaning to pick up another one while they're available. It may sound silly, but this parks donation gave me the impetus to do it!

(Still rocking this 2015 MacBook Pro...)

darcyf

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
It’s a simple marketing tactic. They want people who haven’t adopted Apple Pay yet to give it a try and to feel good when they do it so they’ll associate that feeling with using Apple Pay in the future. I love Apple and it’s very them to pick something like this as the drug to lace their campaign with, but let’s not be fooled. It’s not good of them. But it is a good move.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
www.citysnaps.net
Marketing is the nonsense part, not the donation.
Oh... OK. It sounds like you may not understand marketing and its purpose. Something all successful companies engage in.

Checking out Post #6 above will provide a clue. It's to encourage people who are on the fence about a purchase to move forward using Apple Pay; in the end getting more people using the service via the Parks donation incentive.

A win for everyone. Brilliant.

Last edited:

whoknows2597

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2019
get rid of the pesky park rangers and the parks could be free forever.
I’m pretty sure we still need someone to clean up the parks because some individuals are inconsiderate when they visit. In a perfect world, we would expect people to clean up after themselves and dispose of their trash properly, but sadly it’s not the case.

hagar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
I’m pretty sure we still need someone to clean up the parks because some individuals are inconsiderate when they visit. In a perfect world, we would expect people to clean up after themselves and dispose of their trash properly, but sadly it’s not the case.
I work in this sector and I can assure you that cleaning up is only one of the many many problems humans cause: leaving the trails, trampling plants, cutting trees, degrading river banks, hunting and poaching, starting fires, playing loud music and organising parties, driving off-road, feeding wildlife, .... the list is endless. This all slowly degrades the ecosystems until they collapse. Nature cannot support (mass) tourism unless we control it and educate people.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
Oh... OK. It sounds like you may not understand marketing and its purpose. Something all successful companies engage in.

Checking out Post #6 above will provide a clue. It's to encourage people who are on the fence about a purchase to move forward using Apple Pay; in the end getting more people using the service via the Parks donation incentive.

A win for everyone. Brilliant.
I do understand, but I disapprove, better just donate.

JosephAW

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2012
Okay I'll buy 10,000 penny purchases. So that will be 100k donation.
Never mind $10 min

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
How is it nonsense?

It’s a great incentive program.
I get it though. Apple’s going to have 100,000 transactions today alone. Writing a $1,000,000 check seems like it would’ve been an easier and more direct way of doing this.

And I’ve never been high on using charities and foundations and a marketing plow to sell more products, it’s icky to me.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Too bad you can't voluntarily pay $10 for a $9.99 item.
I wonder if it’s after tax in that case you should be good.
[doublepost=1566089281][/doublepost]
I get it though. Apple’s going to have 100,000 transactions today alone. Writing a $1,000,000 check seems like it would’ve been an easier and more direct way of doing this.

And I’ve never been high on using charities and foundations and a marketing plow to sell more products, it’s icky to me.
More than likely just like how Apple Card is structured, it’s to get more people to get used to paying with their phones.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
It’s a simple marketing tactic. They want people who haven’t adopted Apple Pay yet to give it a try and to feel good when they do it so they’ll associate that feeling with using Apple Pay in the future. I love Apple and it’s very them to pick something like this as the drug to lace their campaign with, but let’s not be fooled. It’s not good of them. But it is a good move.
good to see snark has not lost its appeal. There are plenty of customers to meet the goal without incentivizing new customers. Why do companies do this? Damnifiknow, but lots of companies do. Got to accept it in the spirit it is given. Maybe it’s a good idea and Samsung will copy it!

dmylrea

macrumors 68030
Sep 27, 2005
good to see snark has not lost its appeal. There are plenty of customers to meet the goal without incentivizing new customers. Why do companies do this? Damnifiknow, but lots of companies do. Got to accept it in the spirit it is given. Maybe it’s a good idea and Samsung will copy it!
Easy...it's a tax write-off. The donation is in THEIR name, not yours, so they get the write-off.

The US Government had a $3B budget for the national parks this year. $100K is a drop in the bucket.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
Which they will then claim as a tax deduction and probably find a way to make money on the scheme.
Of course it’s deductible. Surely you can’t have a problem with that. Corporations taxes were cut to almost 0 last year, so the deduction is not worth much. Somehow the word scheme is a bit negative. Corporations often use promotions, that is an honest and legitimate way of doing business. Seriously you can’t have a problem with that too