Apple dribbles, scores.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcdj, Mar 12, 2011.

1. mcdj, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Make no mistake, the iPad 2 is a decent upgrade over the original version. But if you take it at face value, from a strictly boiled down user-experience point of view, it's closer to a 1.5 product than a 2.0.

When you look at it head on, you're seeing the same screen. When you hold it, it's thinner and slightly lighter, but not mind bendingly so. The chip is faster, but the majority of current apps don't need that much horsepower. The cameras are serviceable, but pedestrian, if not a bit outdated.

Apple has trained us to expect a new iteration of their iOS devices once a year. Perhaps a year isn't quite enough time to put together a truly 2.0 product. Or maybe it is enough time, but Apple wants us to upgrade every year and is spoon feeding us a trickle of the juicier features to keep us hooked. They wouldn't be the first company to do this.

So if you're Apple, and your 2.0 product is really more of a 1.5 product, how do you go about making it seem like a much bigger deal than it actually is? You alter the buying experience, forcing people into long lines that look great on blogs and local news. You constrict the supply line to give the illusion of short supply and huge demand. And you keep all your employees in the dark as to what to expect and when.

The latter is nothing new for Apple. Secrecy is their M.O. Apple has mastered the art of manipulating the cult of mystery and desire.

But there seem to be some new tactics at work here. Never before have there been no pre-orders. Never before have Apple mandated that lines form OUTSIDE stores or that sales could only begin at 5pm on a Friday (aka rush hour, when the largest possible volume of people will walk/drive past Apple stores and see the massive lines on full display).

Sure, previous iPhones and even the previous iPad sold out, but not so immediately, and not so widely. Here in NYC, every Apple store is claiming they're sold out. But I spoke with an Apple employee today, inquiring about when a new shipment might arrive. He said they may get them today (Saturday), but because of the mayhem it would cause, they wouldn't put them out for sale today. They'd wait til tomorrow, form a line, and sell them then. If that doesn't sound like engineered distribution, I don't know what does. In the past, Apple has sold what they have, when they have it. They didn't sit on merchandise for the sake of preventing chaos.

I think Apple marketing took a hard look at what they had with the iPad 2. They determined it's really a 1.5 product and may not have quite enough steam to ward off competitors for another year until an iPad 3 comes out. They decided it was time for some tried and true smoke and mirrors.

Basketball players dribble to buy time. Apple is dribbling too. They're literally dribbling out the iPad 2. This has a nice dual effect. It creates buzz and desire, putting the iPad into just enough hands to make it seem hot. But it also keeps it out of the hands of just enough people to prevent it from seeming like a by-the-numbers upgrade, which, if you subscribe to calling it an iPad 1.5, it's just south of by-the-numbers for a 2.0 product.

People are easy to manipulate. We want what we can't have far more than what we can have. And when we get what we want, we talk it up to others who don't have it, painting it larger than life. This gives us a false sense of superiority over others who pine for what we have. This is playground psychology 101. Community college marketing professors know this basic stuff and so does Apple, and alot more.

2. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

3. sanford macrumors 65816

Already out of stock when you got there, huh?

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I lol'd. :D

5. mozartwon macrumors member

With all due respect, I think your over-analyzing the this.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You have alot of thoughts and obviously alot of time. You should get a blog.

7. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

Good basketball players dribble to attack the basket. Just sayin.

I saw it and played with it yesterday. Its great. No need to upgrade though if you have the first gen. I have no idea why people think they have to upgrade. Your ipad 1 will work great. It doesnt explode when a new one is released. But how much can one really change a tablet anyway? Where you expecting a round iPad made of white gold?

But I guess it gives people something to write about.

8. danbalsh macrumors regular

Of course... if I were Apple i'd purposely NOT want to sell things to customers either :confused:

9. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Think for just a moment. How many iPads do you think will sell this year? Some estimates are pegged at approx 30 to 50 million units (worldwide).

At that rate, how many have to be produced monthly, weekly, daily?

To this end, shut down current manufacturing (iPad1)...re-tool for new production (iPad2), and train manufacturers on the new processes. Now feed the manufacturing process through the supply chain and ship these units around the world. This is no small feat.

It's amazing everyone thinks Apple 'magically' wiggled their noses and "poof" 40 million units were available for mass delivery. We should've had iPads available at the Dollar General store and every other mom & pop store on every street corner.

Apple did not set this up as a means to get "free" publicity. Apple is a unique company that has two products that are in high demand (iPhone, iPad). They cannot produce enough products to keep up without delaying launch for months. So either we wait for the iPad to come out until May (so enough are produced), or we wait on the production process if you were not dedicated enough to stand in line or wake up early and order online.

Sorry, but this is not a marketing gimmick. This is a product of the supply/demand curve. The only other way to curtail demand is to raise prices...which Apple will not do.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Apple rarely introduces a hugely improved device from one iteration to the next, so I don't know where people get this idea. Perhaps it's because they've had enough big product launches of totally new items over the years that everyone wants every re-fresh to feel like something totally new. That's not the Apple way though. John Gruber explained this very well is his review of the iPad 2:

He then continues:

So yeah, almost every update of their already released devices is a 0.5 kind of revision. Occasionally there is a big change - but certainly not at every update.

Now you are correct that Apple is purposefully manipulating supply to maximize the frenzy around their device launches, but honestly, given the results, why wouldn't they? They get huge amounts of free press, they develop an air of exclusivity for a device they will sell by the tens of millions, and they build customer loyalty through sites like this and even the socializing that happens while waiting in line. Heck, if Apple didn't do this, and had your typical Android product release where everything was leaked ahead of time and they just ho-hum suddenly made it available, people would be disappointed! Sure, they are manipulating the system, but people LOVE it! The only question is how the competition can continue to botch their products and launches so badly year after year after year when they have the advantage of watching marketing masters at work. You'd think they'd learn something.

11. sanford macrumors 65816

That's my thought. It's an iPad. It's cool. So is the first one. Who I think are strange are the people who justify upgrading because an iPad is SO INTEGRAL to their daily process they NEED the absolute latest model. So they sold their original iPads six weeks ago to get top price toward the iPad 2 upgrade. What did they do, then? Twiddle their thumbs for a month and a half?

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

While you are right that they may not be able to immediately produce enough units to satisfy all demand, you'd have to be completely naive to believe that Apple did not carefully orchestrate these product launches. Do you also think it's just 'coincidence' that they have had multiple product launches or announcements precisely timed to swamp a competitors launch or announcement? Yeah, all this stuff just happens by accident. :D

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

14. leenak macrumors 68020

I think there are a lot of good comments but this summarizes it. As a first time iPad owner, I am thrilled. Apple put out a new product, dropped the price of the first product and gave us new owners a choice. I went with the iPad 2 and couldn't be happier. I don't know why there seems to be so much posturing/chest beating from first gen iPad owners who didn't buy the iPad 2.

15. newdeal macrumors 68020

It's twice the speed with twice the ram and 5 times the graphics power. You say it's underwhelming now but with power like that when iOS 6 hits the original iPad will be so far behind half of the features will be disabled. The fact that they went to that much effort to improve graphics tells me that iOS 5 will have some crazy visual effects, possibly live wallpapers and live widgets that require the power of the gnu that the first iPad won't have. How often in the desktop world is speed doubled, ram doubled and graphics increased 5 times in a one year period at the same price

16. sanford macrumors 65816

It's a substantial performance upgrade for future-proofing, laying the ground work for future iOS development. No doubt. But remember when iOS 6 hits iPad 3 will have shipped. I think that was his point: reasons for original iPad owners to wait for iPad 3. Which he could have stated thusly: iPad 2 is great but is not enough to compel me to upgrade from my original iPad.

"How often in the desktop world is speed doubled, ram doubled and graphics increased 5 times in a one year period at the same price"

You do kind of make a case for waiting to see what iPad 3 brings right there. Personally, however, I think people should spend their money as they wish. But then I'm a capitalist.

17. mcdj, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

me too.

I'm not saying the iPad 2 isn't worth buying, or upgrading. Heck I'm upgrading, or trying to. But I can't get my hands on one, which is unusual, and that started me thinking about why. I understand it takes time to tool up for this type of product and there aren't 50 million of them sitting in a warehouse ready to ship. But I also know I'm not the only one to notice things have been different with this launch.

To me, Apple seems to have turned the corner; from secretive but still maintaining a good buying experience, to methods approaching insidious, with a noticeably degraded buying experience and little regard for the fact.

18. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Though not entirely applicable, let's not forget that Moore's Law (as further refined by Gordon Moore) predicts a doubling of processing power every two years. The law has also been stated by Intel as being every 18 months. Though we aren't talking about just processing power, I think this is nicely predictive for lots of gadgets. You should basically think that a product won't be revolutionized until it is two year's old. The iPad refresh is less than a year from the original sales. So I really didn't expect anything but an evolutionary increase.

I'm probably going to get at iPad 2 and gift my iPad 1 to someone. The main reason for me is that I can use Verizon network instead of AT&T which should be a big improvement for me in New York City. Hoping to beat 500kbs download speed like I get off of AT&T.

19. gatearray macrumors 65816

Lines always form outside the store, and the iPad 3G was launched on a Friday at 5pm. Sorry you couldn't get or cannot afford an iPad 2, it's really an awesome device. :)

20. rudy44 macrumors member

i thought the jump to iphone 4, despite all the problems, was pretty huge.

21. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Nobody else is even close to making a tablet that thin, light, with this sort of speed and battery life. i don't know what miracles people expect but the laws of physics still apply. Get friggin serious.

22. sanford macrumors 65816

See now that's what I'd call a well-considered, valid reason to upgrade. Not that people have to have a so-called valid reason -- it's really their deal -- but people seem to think they have to have one. You should license that reason out to make people feel more justified in upgrading. ;-)

Okay I gotta get out of here. I've spent so much time babbling on here about iPad 2s and I'm freaking skipping this cycle! If I'd spent the same time picking up dropped change around the city I'd have most of my future iPad 3 purchase paid for by now!

23. mcdj, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Maybe you posted to the wrong thread, but nothing in this thread was so dramatically anti-iPad, (or anti-iPad at all for that matter) that it called for such a dramatically pro-iPad response. Relax.

24. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Inalso do not understand what people who are claiming this is a 1.5 version and not a 2.0 version were realistically expecting. What, specifically, would have made this an iPad 2.0?

You have a dual core processor, double the RAM and 5-9x the graphics performance. You went from no cameras to two cameras. Bulk was reduced greatly.

So, please list what the iPad should have that would make it a proper 2.0.