Apple Drops 2TB iCloud Storage Price to $9.99, Eliminates 1TB Option

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Following today's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote that saw the debut of new software and hardware products, Apple has updated and simplified its iCloud storage pricing tiers.

The 1TB storage option has been eliminated, while the 2TB storage option has dropped in price to $9.99 per month, which is what 1TB of storage was previously priced at. Essentially, at the highest data tiers, customers are getting more storage space for less money. Pricing for Apple's 50GB and 200GB iCloud storage plans remains unchanged.

The new pricing tiers in the United States:

- 50GB: $0.99
    - 200GB: $2.99
    - 2TB: $9.99

While U.S. prices are listed above, the same changes have been made in all countries where iCloud storage is available. 1TB storage options have been eliminated across the board, while 2TBs of storage is now available at the lower 1TB cost.

Many users have been hoping Apple will increase the free iCloud storage option, but following today's update, free iCloud space continues to cap out at 5GB. In iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, Apple is offering an option to share a 200GB or 2TB iCloud storage plan with family members, which is perhaps the reason behind the price drop.

The new storage plans are available immediately on all iOS devices.

(Thanks, Michael!)

Article Link: Apple Drops 2TB iCloud Storage Price to $9.99, Eliminates 1TB Option

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

That's cool but I would still like to see more, cheaper, lower end options.

3. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

I guess they're anticipating iOS users taking advantage of the new File app.

4. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

I thought I heard that these storage options are now shared with family members. Is this true / available now?

5. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

6. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

While it's nice that the 2TB option has been reduced in price, I wish there was still a 1TB option, but also at a reduced price ($5.99?).

Right now I pay $2.99/month for 200GB, which I'm close to filling. Paying an extra $7/month for the 2TB tier when I really don't need that much isn't ideal, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

I just use the various Google free lifetime storage services FTW.

If you want to give money to Apple for no reason, no one is stopping you.

8. pondage macrumors newbie

pondage

So ready for family share on these plans...

9. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

10. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

I know it's been mentioned before but a per Apple device allotment of storage would be great - and logical. They push iCloud hard but are awfully reluctant to incentivize iCloud storage tiers/allotments.

11. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

That .99 tier is so stupid. I can't begin to tell you the number of people I know who have the "not enough storage" error on their iPhone/iPad. I tell them to either pay up or use Google Photos (it's almost always photos eating up the backup space). They don't want to do either, so they just don't let it back up. Then I try again on Google Photos. The ones who take me up on the offer end up loving it and can actually back up their phone again. And if they take 1,453,643 photos and videos, they are all backed up for free, forever.

So then, when their phone gets run over, they lose everything. I mean, it's their fault, but 99 cents for 50gig Apple? Please. Should have storage to match the device for free. 256 iPad? 256 free. 32gig iPhone? 32 gig free.

Nobody likes being nickled and dimed. Apple is outdated in this arena and just thinks it's customers will pay yet another recurring monthly fee. Nope.

12. gugy macrumors 68030

I agreed, family plan is a must. I don't mind paying their prices but having to set up 4 accounts it is a pain. Just make it centralize in one account.

13. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I was wondering that as well. During the presentation they put up a screen showing all the new additional features and "Family iCloud sharing" was on there. Hmmmm

14. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Says I am on the 2TB plan if I check, but I “only” have 1TB available still.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If you want to trust Google with your files/data, no one is stopping you.

Although I agree Apple really should provide more value for money on the lower tiers, including the free tier. Offering a measly 5 GB free after someone spends hundreds or even thousands on Apple hardware is pathetic.

16. KingBowser64 macrumors member

KingBowser64

Same. It won't let me 'upgrade' from 1TB to 2TB. I checked from all my different devices, such as devices running iOS 10 and devices running iOS 11.

17. eatrains macrumors regular

Google Photos is not a backup. It recompresses all your pictures and videos.

18. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

It might be only the 200GB and 2TB options that are family shareable.
    IMG_2692.jpg

19. Take Flight macrumors member

One of these years they are going to just offer free storage. They do so many other things based on just paying for the hardware, it seems logical to remove these sort of hurdles to using their products.

20. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

We've been hearing this scary thing for years and years. No google monster has come from underneath my bed to get me. My entire life is in Google. Have Google Homes all throughout my house. I love all of it.

Still ticking along exactly as I did before a computer was a thing. I do not care, YMMV. The free stuff I get out of them getting my metadata is very much worth it to me. Go nuts, GOOG.

Or pay for a perceived safety net. Everything is discoverable on the internet. All of it.

21. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

Edit: I see that this is mentioned in the article now...

22. niknokseyer macrumors newbie

niknokseyer

Same here. So we all have to wait for iOS 11 for that? :(

23. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

This might not have rolled out yet. Not seeing an option to share with family either.

24. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius