Apple Drops 2TB iCloud Storage Price to $9.99, Eliminates 1TB Option

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

50, 200 and then 2TB is a weird progression.
    You would think it would be more like 100, 500 and 2TB instead. :confused:

2. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

The option to purchase is there, the new size is reflected, but apparently nothing more.

3. urkel, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

urkel macrumors 68030

Hopefully a shared family bucket also includes shared photo libraries. We just want one central library to house all originals and edits

4. MarsViolet macrumors 6502

MarsViolet

You’re arguing a straw man.

Google’s free services are free because they use them to harvest your personal data which they then sell to advertisers. One reason it might be worth it to give money to Apple is because they don’t do that. Your data is kept private.

Also, the notion that any Google product will last a lifetime is dubious considering how many free products they have abandoned. I don’t even think Google itself has the audacity to describe its free storage services as guaranteed to last a lifetime.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---
    Good luck with that “forever” thing.

5. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

I personally think that the 50 GB for $.99 is more of a principle kind of thing.

Essentially, they're saying we're not going to offer a free large file store service where we subsidize it by ads and snooping on you.

I'm sure they must realize that charging $.99 is borderline ridiculous, but it's about the principles!

6. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Dang... do they really ding your credit card for $0.99 each month?

Seems like they would rather make you pay for the whole year... a whopping $12

:D

7. chopdog macrumors member

The reason I pay for Dropbox is to have decent folder sharing with others. I am SO hoping that the update brings folder sharing in this way, even if it's just with family members. Does anyone know?

8. pika2000 macrumors 601

I don't understand people affording iPhones and Macs whining that 99cents a month is too expensive. Seriously.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---
    Why? Dropbox keeps their free tier at 2GB. At least Apple offers a very inexpensive 50GB tier at 99cents a month.

9. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Annoying, I take up 230gb of iCloud storage... I just need something that fills the gap between 200gb and now 2000gb. That's ridiculous.

10. myname70 macrumors 6502a

The option to share with family is here but when clicking on it - nothing happens. Will see in next DP beta.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This is good to know. I'm moving the entire family over to iCloud (better parental controls for apps) and sharing storage was my biggest question.

Today's keynote and devices is making a strong case for upping my storage.

12. littyboy macrumors 6502a

Can the portions be made private from other family members? I just want to share the storage space but not the files/folders

13. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

You're probably right. Not this year, though.

14. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Family sharing, it was about time!
    Now I spend 2,99 for having 3 upgrades to 50GB, I'll spend the same amount of money and get 200GB for the whole family so even the forth member will enjoy more storage

15. mnni macrumors newbie

mnni

Stupid. Now I pay 9,99€ for 2TB of which I use 210GB. I was really hoping for some 500GB option. At the current rate of filling… it'll take me 9 years till I really require the 2TB option. Nothing between 200GB (smaller than my iPhone or iPad storage and 2TB) is ridiculous. Not even starting with the pricing... 2TB would be ok if it cost 9,99€ a year.

16. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

Agree. At long last. But it is not active yet from what I can tell :-/

17. robinp macrumors 6502

I was on 1TB tier. Now showing as 2TB in iCloud settings

IMG_4906.PNG

18. recoil80 macrumors 68020

As far as I understand it will launched this fall together with the new OS

19. Kurotenshi macrumors newbie

Maybe for you, I only need the storage for photos, everything else takes just a couple of gigs because it's just placeholders for what apps and songs I have, not the content it self.
    For me, with an IPhone 6 64Gb + iPhone 4s 32gb + MacMini the 50Gb is more than enough

20. someone28624, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I'm also always telling people that you can download photos off your iPhone to a computer like any other digital camera and I get stupefied looks. I hate when people blast iPhones because of that error. It's not Apple's fault that you bought the lowest storage phone and then took 200 pictures a day and never deleted any. I'll be interested to see how their new file compression for photos helps things.

21. Appleaker macrumors 68020

No, that's not a complaint. I said the 2TB option is good but it would be nice to have other low end options for customers that don't need 2TB but may need something in between. And so what if I was complaining? Just because Apple refreshes a product it doesn't mean it's perfect. There aren't many examples of that from this event, it was brilliant in my opinion.

Why is there always somebody that has to make everything seem negative?

Grow up.

22. HenrikWivel macrumors newbie

Interesting. Is it possible to activate already, or do we have to wait for High Sierra and/or iOS 11? In other words, can you point me to where I can manage/set up family sharing on iCloud storage?

23. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I know that. You know that.

But the average consumer doesn't know that. And they probably aren't into computers like you and I.

Every so often I plug my iPhone into my Windows PC and do a mass dump of all photos and video to a folder on my computer. Hardly any of that media is so important that it needs to live permanently on my phone. So I just take it off the phone to store and backup elsewhere.

But normal people won't do that. Computers are still difficult for a vast number of users. :)

24. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

I can't begin to tell you how many people I know who use that tier just fine. Anecdotal evidence for the win. /s

My wife, parents, and every friend I've recommneded iCloud storage upgrades to are currently on that bottom tier (except on other friend who has a DSLR, and in turn a large library). I'm on the 200GB tier. They're all happy and covered, I'm covered and happy to pay.

Apple doesn't just guess like you and I. They know exactly how many people are getting on ok with each tier. My guess is their customer satisfaction scores would take a pounding if so many people struggled like you say.

I imagine they know what they're doing.

So in your world, your friends are happy to pony up 99 cents when the free tier doesn't cut it, but when the 99 cent tier no longer cuts they they suddently have an aversion to to following the on screen prompts and paying an extra dollar or so... mmmm, weird.

* OneDrive: 50GB option = $1.99
    * Google Drive 100GB option = $1.99 / $0.99 per 50GB

Apple seems pretty much par for the course.

And let's not forget compared to some other storage providers the fee is the only way Apple makes money off cloud storage. They're not earning via advertising/info. Not saying either way is right or wrong, but I'm happy to pay a premium to have that privacy peace of mind.

25. brentonbrenton macrumors member

A few messages just on this thread have mentioned the privacy issue with using Google services. Here's one reason I don't use Google services: I pay Apple the 99c per month (as well as some other online services that I find valuable or highly usable) so I've engaged them in an SLA (service level agreement). That provides some accountability.

Now I haven't deeply read the EULA of Apple and Google services, but if the service is free and data goes missing, corruption occurs, service closed down (more likely to happen on smaller online services out there on the internet, sometimes disappearing overnight) you probably have no leg to stand on. If I've paid any amount, they are then engaged in a business transaction with an expectation to provided what was promised.

I doubt the worst would happen at Google, just because the fury would be big. But say it did, they technically have no responsibility to the users. Anything they do is out of the goodness of their business hearts. They provided a free service, provided as is. That leap of faith is too big for me.