Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Hopefully a shared family bucket also includes shared photo libraries. We just want one central library to house all originals and edits

Last edited:
Reactions: Deelron

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
I just use the various Google free lifetime storage services FTW.

If you want to give money to Apple for no reason, no one is stopping you.

You’re arguing a straw man.

Google’s free services are free because they use them to harvest your personal data which they then sell to advertisers. One reason it might be worth it to give money to Apple is because they don’t do that. Your data is kept private.

Also, the notion that any Google product will last a lifetime is dubious considering how many free products they have abandoned. I don’t even think Google itself has the audacity to describe its free storage services as guaranteed to last a lifetime.
[doublepost=1496729133][/doublepost]
That .99 tier is so stupid. I can't begin to tell you the number of people I know who have the "not enough storage" error on their iPhone/iPad. I tell them to either pay up or use Google Photos (it's almost always photos eating up the backup space). They don't want to do either, so they just don't let it back up. Then I try again on Google Photos. The ones who take me up on the offer end up loving it and can actually back up their phone again. And if they take 1,453,643 photos and videos, they are all backed up for free, forever.

Good luck with that “forever” thing.

PizzaBoxStyle

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
Apple HQ Cupterino Spaceship
I personally think that the 50 GB for $.99 is more of a principle kind of thing.

Essentially, they're saying we're not going to offer a free large file store service where we subsidize it by ads and snooping on you.

I'm sure they must realize that charging $.99 is borderline ridiculous, but it's about the principles!

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm sure they must realize that charging $.99 is borderline ridiculous, but it's about the principles!

Dang... do they really ding your credit card for $0.99 each month?

Seems like they would rather make you pay for the whole year... a whopping $12

:D

chopdog

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
The reason I pay for Dropbox is to have decent folder sharing with others. I am SO hoping that the update brings folder sharing in this way, even if it's just with family members. Does anyone know?

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
The option to share with family is here but when clicking on it - nothing happens. Will see in next DP beta.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Family sharing, it was about time!
Now I spend 2,99 for having 3 upgrades to 50GB, I'll spend the same amount of money and get 200GB for the whole family so even the forth member will enjoy more storage

Reactions: freddiecable

mnni

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2013
Stupid. Now I pay 9,99€ for 2TB of which I use 210GB. I was really hoping for some 500GB option. At the current rate of filling… it'll take me 9 years till I really require the 2TB option. Nothing between 200GB (smaller than my iPhone or iPad storage and 2TB) is ridiculous. Not even starting with the pricing... 2TB would be ok if it cost 9,99€ a year.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
Agree. At long last. But it is not active yet from what I can tell :-/

Family sharing, it was about time!
Now I spend 2,99 for having 3 upgrades to 50GB, I'll spend the same amount of money and get 200GB for the whole family so even the forth member will enjoy more storage

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
I was on 1TB tier. Now showing as 2TB in iCloud settings

IMG_4906.PNG

Reactions: freddiecable

Kurotenshi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
That .99 tier is so stupid. I can't begin to tell you the number of people I know who have the "not enough storage" error on their iPhone/iPad. I tell them to either pay up or use Google Photos (it's almost always photos eating up the backup space). They don't want to do either, so they just don't let it back up. Then I try again on Google Photos. The ones who take me up on the offer end up loving it and can actually back up their phone again. And if they take 1,453,643 photos and videos, they are all backed up for free, forever.

So then, when their phone gets run over, they lose everything. I mean, it's their fault, but 99 cents for 50gig Apple? Please. Should have storage to match the device for free. 256 iPad? 256 free. 32gig iPhone? 32 gig free.

Nobody likes being nickled and dimed. Apple is outdated in this arena and just thinks it's customers will pay yet another recurring monthly fee. Nope.
Maybe for you, I only need the storage for photos, everything else takes just a couple of gigs because it's just placeholders for what apps and songs I have, not the content it self.
For me, with an IPhone 6 64Gb + iPhone 4s 32gb + MacMini the 50Gb is more than enough

Reactions: sracer and Keane16

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo

So then, when their phone gets run over, they lose everything. I mean, it's their fault, but 99 cents for 50gig Apple? Please. Should have storage to match the device for free. 256 iPad? 256 free. 32gig iPhone? 32 gig free.

Nobody likes being nickled and dimed. Apple is outdated in this arena and just thinks it's customers will pay yet another recurring monthly fee. Nope.

I'm also always telling people that you can download photos off your iPhone to a computer like any other digital camera and I get stupefied looks. I hate when people blast iPhones because of that error. It's not Apple's fault that you bought the lowest storage phone and then took 200 pictures a day and never deleted any. I'll be interested to see how their new file compression for photos helps things.

Last edited:
Reactions: aguyhasnoname

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, because no matter what Apple does, people still feel a need to complain on MR.
No, that's not a complaint. I said the 2TB option is good but it would be nice to have other low end options for customers that don't need 2TB but may need something in between. And so what if I was complaining? Just because Apple refreshes a product it doesn't mean it's perfect. There aren't many examples of that from this event, it was brilliant in my opinion.

Why is there always somebody that has to make everything seem negative?

Grow up.

Reactions: ackmondual

HenrikWivel

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
Interesting. Is it possible to activate already, or do we have to wait for High Sierra and/or iOS 11? In other words, can you point me to where I can manage/set up family sharing on iCloud storage?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm also always telling people that you can download photos off your iPhone to a computer like any other digital camera and I get stupefied looks. I had when people blast iPhones because of that error. It's not Apple's fault that you bought the lowest storage phone and then took 200 pictures a day and never deleted any.

I know that. You know that.

But the average consumer doesn't know that. And they probably aren't into computers like you and I.

Every so often I plug my iPhone into my Windows PC and do a mass dump of all photos and video to a folder on my computer. Hardly any of that media is so important that it needs to live permanently on my phone. So I just take it off the phone to store and backup elsewhere.

But normal people won't do that. Computers are still difficult for a vast number of users. :)

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
That .99 tier is so stupid. I can't begin to tell you the number of people I know who have the "not enough storage" error on their iPhone/iPad.

I can't begin to tell you how many people I know who use that tier just fine. Anecdotal evidence for the win. /s

My wife, parents, and every friend I've recommneded iCloud storage upgrades to are currently on that bottom tier (except on other friend who has a DSLR, and in turn a large library). I'm on the 200GB tier. They're all happy and covered, I'm covered and happy to pay.

Apple doesn't just guess like you and I. They know exactly how many people are getting on ok with each tier. My guess is their customer satisfaction scores would take a pounding if so many people struggled like you say.

I imagine they know what they're doing.

I tell them to either pay up or use Google Photos (it's almost always photos eating up the backup space). They don't want to do either,

So in your world, your friends are happy to pony up 99 cents when the free tier doesn't cut it, but when the 99 cent tier no longer cuts they they suddently have an aversion to to following the on screen prompts and paying an extra dollar or so... mmmm, weird.

Nobody likes being nickled and dimed. Apple is outdated in this arena and just thinks it's customers will pay yet another recurring monthly fee.

* OneDrive: 50GB option = $1.99
* Google Drive 100GB option = $1.99 / $0.99 per 50GB

Apple seems pretty much par for the course.

And let's not forget compared to some other storage providers the fee is the only way Apple makes money off cloud storage. They're not earning via advertising/info. Not saying either way is right or wrong, but I'm happy to pay a premium to have that privacy peace of mind.

brentonbrenton

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2002
I just use the various Google free lifetime storage services FTW.

If you want to give money to Apple for no reason, no one is stopping you.

You’re arguing a straw man.

Google’s free services are free because they use them to harvest your personal data which they then sell to advertisers. One reason it might be worth it to give money to Apple is because they don’t do that. Your data is kept private.

Also, the notion that any Google product will last a lifetime is dubious considering how many free products they have abandoned. I don’t even think Google itself has the audacity to describe its free storage services as guaranteed to last a lifetime.
A few messages just on this thread have mentioned the privacy issue with using Google services. Here's one reason I don't use Google services: I pay Apple the 99c per month (as well as some other online services that I find valuable or highly usable) so I've engaged them in an SLA (service level agreement). That provides some accountability.

Now I haven't deeply read the EULA of Apple and Google services, but if the service is free and data goes missing, corruption occurs, service closed down (more likely to happen on smaller online services out there on the internet, sometimes disappearing overnight) you probably have no leg to stand on. If I've paid any amount, they are then engaged in a business transaction with an expectation to provided what was promised.

I doubt the worst would happen at Google, just because the fury would be big. But say it did, they technically have no responsibility to the users. Anything they do is out of the goodness of their business hearts. They provided a free service, provided as is. That leap of faith is too big for me.

Reactions: MarsViolet and Jeaz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.