Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of Google's low-priced Chromecast AirPlay competitor, Apple has lowered the price of its refurbished Apple TVs to $75, offering a $24 discount off of the original $99 price and a $10 drop from the previous price for refurbished units.

Google's Chromecast, which functions similarly to AirPlay and allows users to mirror content from a tablet, smartphone, or laptop to a television, retails for just $35. The dongle plugs in to any HDTV and offers apps like YouTube and Netflix, with additional offerings in the works.

Though the Apple TV can't compete with the Chromecast on price, Apple has been working on building new features into the device. Released alongside betas for iOS 7 and Mavericks, the Apple TV beta software has introduced iTunes Radio, a “Conference Room Mode” for business and academic settings, and recently, a function that allows users to purchase music on their TVs.

appletvrefurb.jpg

Apple also has plans to further integrate iOS 7 with the Apple TV, allowing for simple Bluetooth setup of the device, and the company has improved the set-top box's content offerings in recent months. In June, Apple added multiple new channels, including WatchESPN, HBO GO, Sky News, and more, and is said to be in talks with additional companies such as Time Warner Cable and the CW to bring even more content to the Apple TV.

As with all refurbished products that Apple sells, the Apple TV comes with a one year warranty and can be purchased online or picked up in stores.

Article Link: Apple Drops the Price on Refurbished Apple TV to $75

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
If only Apple did more with the ATV. Just imagine the rumours of games and apps for the ATV! So much unused potential. Also, the channels up here in Canada suck!

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Chromecast has an SDK. Apple TV still does not.

It's mind boggling why they are individually releasing 1 or 2 new 'apps' a year instead of releasing a SDK and allowing 3rd party developers to incorporate new functionality.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

It's mind boggling why they are individually releasing 1 or 2 new 'apps' a year instead of releasing a SDK and allowing 3rd party developers to incorporate new functionality.

Roku has an SDK, channel store, the whole 9 yards, and they are doing great. They are really leaps and bounds ahead of Apple in that department

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
If only Apple did more with the ATV. Just imagine the rumours of games and apps for the ATV! So much unused potential. Also, the channels up here in Canada suck!

Yes so much potential, but if anything I hope Chromecast will spur Apple to get on the stick and do the apps/SDK for it soon. If Apple thinks their relationships with select partners (Neflix, MLB, HBO, etc) will keep other entrants from offering an alternative, the Chromecast does a convincing job of showing them to think again as those partners will work with someone else as well.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
if this is apple move, then it is subtle. very subtle, just like when surface rt launched and apple surprised us with 128 gb ipad.

but then again, this is just for refurbished item. once all the stock is gone, then back to $99.

ezhilk

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Michigan

I am guessing its got something to do with the TV rumors. Maybe they are holding back opening up the system because an Apple TV puck with a ton of capabilities can potentially jeopardize their rumored TV's sales once it comes out, and Apple stands to lose all their margins on such a product due to a $100 "hobby".

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
Following the launch of Google's low-priced Chromecast AirPlay competitor, Apple has lowered the price of its refurbished Apple TVs to $75, offering a $24 discount off of the original $99 price.

It hardly seems like a reaction to Chromecast. Apple discounts all of their refurbished items.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I am guessing its got something to do with the TV rumors, maybe they are holding back opening up the system, as an Apple TV puck with a ton of capabilities can potentially jeopardize their rumored TV's sales once it comes out, and Apple stands to lose all their margins on such a product due to a $100 "hobby".

I understand your statement but I sure hope Apple does not think that. They really have to separate out the device/brains (puck) from the screen itself. I love my Apple devices but I cannot see how they will enter the market against such thin-margined competitors that already exist. Samsung will MURDER them.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Apple needs to have a $35 Airplay-Only device. I am pretty sure most people use their AppleTV for little more than AirPlay.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007

I'm not sure you understand how the SDK for Chromecast works. It will allow you to connect your apps to the device and stream content. The code from the SDK does not run on the Chromecast. It runs on the server device. Just like the iOS SDK allows for AirPlay. I am not aware of any advantage from the SDK on the Chromecast other then cross platform clients.

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
That's great, Apple. But the Apple TV 3G is still useless until it can be jailbroken.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
The first generation Apple TV always had an iTunes Store feature. It would be nice to see that returned to the Apple TV, as well, so one could search for or browse music/movies/TV shows, and make purchases on the device, not just from iTunes Radio.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
True. But the article failed to mention that prior to today, the Refurb ATV would usually go for $85 (if my memory hasn't failed me).

"Following the launch of Google's low-priced Chromecast AirPlay competitor, Apple has lowered the price of its refurbished Apple TVs to $75, offering a $24 discount off of the original $99 price and a $10 drop from the previous price for refurbished units."

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013

It's mind boggling to why people think "Chromecast" is in the same league as AppleTV when it's nothing more than a poor mans Airplay.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
This is too funny. I was just looking at buying one on the refurb store for 85 last night, now I get another 10 off for waiting one more day. It's a good hump day.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
The first generation Apple TV always had an iTunes Store feature. It would be nice to see that returned to the Apple TV, as well, so one could search for or browse music/movies/TV shows, and make purchases on the device, not just from iTunes Radio.

Now you can buy music and rent movies & tv shows with the new beta update for Apple TV.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
It's mind boggling to why people think "Chromecast" is in the same league as AppleTV when it's nothing more than a poor mans Airplay.

It is also done poorly and very sluggish. It's a rev A product so give it time, but the price point certainly is enticing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.