Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I'm curious if there are any apple employees lurking these forums that are NOT convinced that now is the time to buy an Apple watch, anyone? Will you ultimately buy one or just pass up on this device?

Thanks for your opinion..

specik

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
They're getting them for 50% off. I can't imagine an Apple employee not being convinced by being able to buy the watch for half price. As a former Apple employee, I would of immediately jumped on the discount.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Do you really think an Apple employee is on these forums who values their job so little that they are willing to risk it to badmouth their employer's brand new product just so you feel better about not buying one,...? You may want to rethink that assumption. It comes across a little selfish. I'm sure you didn't intend it that way, just sayin'.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I have a friend who is an Apple employee who is meh about it. He thought it was cool but just wasn't interested in it for him personally. However, at 50% off he's willing to give it a go now.

Dtp8513

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
It's confirmed they are getting 50% off? If so, that's unbelievable. What do they normally get on other products? Isnt Apple losing money at 50% off?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's confirmed they are getting 50% off? If so, that's unbelievable. What do they normally get on other products? Isnt Apple losing money at 50% off?

Of course not. They don't even lose money if they give 50% off on the iPhone (retail price $649) as the manufacturing cost is only around $200.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
They're getting them for 50% off. I can't imagine an Apple employee not being convinced by being able to buy the watch for half price.

I can easily understand why they wouldn't want one. Price isn't everything to everyone. Especially those of us who's time is very valuable.

Note... I am NOT suggesting that others time is not valuable, yet some don't understand the value of their time and waste it.

If the employees know Apple well, they know in a matter of months the second gen watch will be here and history proves it'll be greatly improved. Yes I know many buy now and resell, but not all of us want to do that.

Remember we're all individuals.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'm curious if there are any apple employees lurking these forums that are NOT convinced that now is the time to buy an Apple watch, anyone? Will you ultimately buy one or just pass up on this device?

The employee I spoke to knew which watch he wanted and planned to purchase. :D

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA

Apple works with very high profit margins.

We don't know the cost factor yet, but being supremely greedy, Apple isn't about to sell below cost. Ever!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Are we talking about an Apple Engineer who makes $100,000 and has stock options that are nicely in the money? Or are we talking about a retail store employee who makes $15 per hour while living in a high cost major metropolitan area? Two very different scenarios.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
For what it's worth, I'm a former Apple employee of many years who loves the company very much. Many Apple employees are essentially not allowed (or should I say, highly discouraged from) posting on MacRumors. However, I can tell you that I would have immediately jumped on the 50% off discount, and I know many of my colleagues who still work at the company are going to take advantage of the discount.

leeingham

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham, UK
They're getting them for 50% off. I can't imagine an Apple employee not being convinced by being able to buy the watch for half price. As a former Apple employee, I would of immediately jumped on the discount.

I used to work in one last year and went to that store to try on today. Spoke to a number of staff who all said they weren't getting one so even with their discount not bothered

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
i am not surprised if employee will still buy it and then sell it for a profit (if they want to keep it low key, sell it to family & friends)

what I want to know is when they will get their watch, if they all got theirs and everyone else who woke up at 12:03 didn't.

there will be some angry people out there

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
The guy at apple store who helped me ordered a sports watch and he is getting it in May.

They are in the same line as we are, they are not getting it faster. They had to order it from the store to get the discount etc, so they couldn't order it last night (unless they drove to apple store at midnight).

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
My friend is an Apple Genius. He isn't so enthusiastic about the Watch, doesn't like it - especially this being the pilot iteration and because "wearables market is hot right now with better alternatives in the pipeline." However, he is "Most definitely going to buy; at least one (a SS model)" in his own words! :)

leeingham

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham, UK
i am not surprised if employee will still buy it and then sell it for a profit (if they want to keep it low key, sell it to family & friends)

what I want to know is when they will get their watch, if they all got theirs and everyone else who woke up at 12:03 didn't.

there will be some angry people out there

One of the guys I spoke to who ordered the £949 black 42mm is getting his in June as well and ordered pretty much bang on the money.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I wish I could find an apple employee who is not feeling the watch to sell me theirs as I feel like Apple is screwing me over by making me buy the stainless steel link bracelet to get the space black stainless steel case. #

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

At my try on appointment I asked the employee about it. Their response was, "how do you know about that?"

I said the internet.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

Of course not. They don't even lose money if they give 50% off on the iPhone (retail price $649) as the manufacturing cost is only around $200.

Remember, when the first iPhone came out, all employees were given one for free.

Apple's not above taking a bit of a financial hit for things like this.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008

The one I spoke to today wasn't planning on buying one despite the discount, but he seemed pretty cagey in general so he may not have answered truthfully for whatever reason.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Apple works with very high profit margins.

We don't know the cost factor yet, but being supremely greedy, Apple isn't about to sell below cost. Ever!

I sell my own products and you better believe I'm making profits for all the hard work that goes into making them (and mine are small). Apple can charge whatever people are willing to pay so I never get the arguments people make when they say they're over charging. No one is forcing people to buy anything Apple is selling.

Now, I already Pre-ordered two watches but if any employees want to buy one for me I'd be more than happy to save 50% and return mine haha.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.