Apple Employee Screwed Up = $250 off new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MetBook, Oct 17, 2008.

1. MetBook macrumors member

Canadian retail price of a Brand New 2.4GHz, 15" MacBook Pro: $2149.99

The Apple employee looked up the student discount in the books (which I know for this model and this time is only $100) and somehow came up with a number of $250. My heart started racing, hoping that she wouldn't know that she might have made the mistake.

The price I ended up paying for a Brand New 2.4GHz, 15" MacBook Pro: $1899.99

Not bad if I may say so myself. (PS. I absolutely love the machine)

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

3. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

4. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

5. 4fingered macrumors member

6. !eon macrumors newbie

7. fxstb2002 macrumors member

Well, I hope she doesn't have to make up the difference out of her next paycheck.

8. MetBook thread starter macrumors member

*Incase* you wanted to know:

The 15" Incase cover fits around the new 15" MacBook Pro. It's just a bit roomy depth-wise and just a bit tight on the sides of the computer. But it definitely works.

There's no way I'd take my Pro anywhere unless it was protected.

9. Down3yDJdud3 macrumors newbie

I lucked out with the same screw up at the apple store in Brea California. The first associate told me they had revised student discounts and that I could only expect 100 off my 2.4 GHz MBP, but he was not the one who rang my purchase up. The girl behind the counter insisted that the discount was 200 so I paid $1799. I am willing to bet that word has not got out that the student discount has changed!

10. britabroad macrumors member

britabroad

how else do you think they'll get the money back?

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Send her an thank you card or put her name down on a customer service satisfaction card.

12. GodOfLove macrumors newbie

nice!! good to hear =) hope you love your mbp!!!

13. MVApple macrumors 6502a

They don't get their money back, the company take a loss. I know that here in California you can't deduct an employees paycheck for a mistake made. The employee will probably be reprimanded, or simply told what the new discount is and it'll be forgotten.

14. Phenobarbital4U macrumors newbie

go back and ask to buy a mighty mouse, see if you can get it for 25 bucks!

15. LDB macrumors member

LDB

Or the employee will be fired, but hey, SCREW HONESTY AND INTEGRITY. Who needs that when they look in the mirror as long as they've got 150 dishonest dollars in their pocket?

16. thepseudophone macrumors newbie

Me too!

This happened to me in the US. I got a $200 student discount off of the $1999 MBP.

17. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

apple store employees are stupid, just came back from one. :rolleyes:

18. LinMac macrumors 65816

Dishonest? Hypothetical scenario follows to explore the point:

Let's see.. I go to a business knowing the price of a product. I request that a staff member sell me the product. The business representative rings up the products with the appropriate pricing, discounts, and coupons based on internal business procedures then requests payment for the items.

I don't recall there being a requirement that I tell a business representative the price their business charges for a product. I do not recall there being a requirement that I tell a business representative how to do their job. I do not work for the business. I have no responsibility to ensure the business works as it should. $#%& the business.

On eBay if someone sells a priceless silver necklace for $20, is it dishonest to buy the necklace even if you know the value of the item is higher than the seller requests for it? Millions of people purchasing antiques seem to think it is just fine to buy low and sell high. These antique seekers are often taking advantage of a seller's lack of knowledge.

I believe our entire stock market is based on buying low and selling high, but if someone sold their stocks low then it is immoral to buy them to sell later at a much higher price. Umm.. not so much.

Dishonest implies theft. I can't speak to the legality of it, but morally I feel that if you sell me something at a price that you set then you cannot feel wronged if I pay the price without questioning it.

Capitalism is a bitch.

19. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Yep. Bought the case about a day before the MBP got here at the Apple Store and then heard it was wider/deeper, but it fit just fine.

20. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Well, according to my high school teacher, he had a friend who picked up a dusty violin at a garage sale for some small amount. Turns out it was one of those rare, antique violins and he sold it for something like half a millions bucks.

And yes you are right, it is the companies fault alone who hires and trains the sales staff and if they give you something for less that the real price, the company will have to deal with it. Okay, we are all opportunistic people, we always want to save money, but if say that person loses their job over it because they made an honest mistake, then that's not something I'd want to happen. But hey, they should be responsible for their actions, and money for you is the same as money for the company, you'll want it back somehow.

If it were some major purchase and I were to save a lot from the mistake of another: if it were impersonal and over the phone, I'd be less concerned about the mistake. If it were a helpful person over the counter, well then I'd have a major problem.

21. britabroad macrumors member

britabroad

yeah, and look how well that worked out.

22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

She won't, but she has now been made the scape goat when Apple explains the glossy only screen.

"She did it, wasn't our idea. I know she works Apple retail, but she's got connections";)

23. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

oh givee me a break. they don't dock peoples pay for these mistakes and its not like its even a big deal anyway

24. LinMac macrumors 65816

How dare you question the sacred system of no holds bar capitalism. I bet you're sitting there breathing this fine American air that we share with the world and you're not even a Republican.

25. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Sweet deal, I would have taken it just like you did and never looked back.