Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megastuff999

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I’m surprised at many of the responses here. In the U.K. many sectors now see a good remote policy as table stakes for attracting talent.
If you are in a job where you aren’t micro-managed and left to be productive on your own terms why would it matter where you are? Let people work where suits them best. They will either produce quality work or not.
I’m preferring working from home: better equipment, greater comfort, easier to concentrate and I think for some jobs collaboration face to face is overvalued. I’m a developer. I can deal with code commits and zoom calls whether sat in an office or at home office. The face to face stuff is vanishingly rare.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
My group is proposing in office TWTH 10-3. I think that works.
office 3 days and home 4 days sounds ideal to me. I would also want to only go in Tues-Thurs.

edit: before the dislike brigade takes over… I rather work remote with the OPTION to go in if I want to. if I *have* to go in, I would rather it be 3 days in a row.

Last edited:

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
lol, time to get back to the office.... my work life hasn't changed at all since day 1 of pandemic other than a loosely enforced mask policy... we gotta keep the lights on for you all.
Exactly. My wife is a teacher and many of her co-workers were terrified to go back to school last quarter, but of course happy to frequent grocery and hardware stores where employees have been working in the public space the whole time. Now of course, they're suddenly heroes.

nouvejetzt

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
To tell you guys the truth, I don't want to go home again after so much time working from home during this pandemic. At my job we will be working on hybrid schedule as well and I could not be happier. Every close person I know including me got vaccinated, so this is the best thing could happen. hehe YEY!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Makes sense for a company like Apple, which relies heavily on close collaboration between various departments for its products. Most companies are not built to succeed with the decentralised employee structure found when work is done at home, and Apple isn't one of them either.

I am also not convinced that WFH is all it's cracked up to be. I am still a firm believer of face to face communication, and I find that for many people, there are just too many distractions at home. As a teacher, I too enjoy being able to wake up later, not needing to commute to work (though I live like 15 minutes walk from school), and being able to zoom on my iMac (some of my colleagues are already facing screen burnout issues on their work laptops from excessive zooming). But home-based learning hasn't really been all that effective for the students, and I am under no illusion that I will have a fair amount of catching up to do when we go back to school.

But I still find it easier to meet up with my superiors in school to discuss workplans and ideas, which I find to be easier than trying to coordinate things over zoom or FaceTime (which I did too, but by then, the agenda was already like 90% done and we were just touching up the final details).

To the people who feel that they are getting alone fine WFH'ing, I would say to look at the overall bigger picture. It's not just about how much code you can churn out when left to your own devices. It's about a decline in the product innovation process, brought about by a decline in team communication and idea exchange, which may in turn lead to subpar products and services. In the end, it's the company and the consumer who suffers ultimately.

Such a phenomenon will probably take a few years to manifest; the ramifications won't be apparent right away, but that doesn't mean harm hasn't already been done. Just like when you get sweet drinks, you don't start getting diabetes right away. And some even claim that the immediate sugar rush helped them clock better timings in their runs.

I believe that in time and with hindsight, this whole work from home phenomenon will end up proving to be a head fake that was more about combatting the pandemic than it is about a dramatic revolution in the way the corporate world does business.

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
They spent billions on that new campus in Cupertino and didn't really get to use it before the pandemic struck. Letting engineers work from home is not an option for Apple. However, it's pretty stupid that people will be dragged to the office in the Silicon Valley traffic three times per week simply to justify the existence of that office space. Selling it is not an option either. Who in their right mind in the Silicon Valley would want to buy a multi-billion dollar office space, whereas everyone has learned that working from home is much more productive?

Only a small percentage of all Apple employees in Silicon Valley are based in the main campus. Apple currently leases many campuses and tens, maybe hundreds of buildings all around Cupertino, Sunnyvale, San Francisco and the rest of SV. The last thing they will ever do will be to sell Apple Park or Infinite Loop.

Reactions: citysnaps

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm glad our company is more flexible.

Productivity hasn't fallen, in fact, it's risen.

The company has seen benefits from people working from home, so we are being given a choice on how much we actually want to spend in the office vs working from home. The company and us, the employees, have adapted working remotely. Of course there are some who want to go back into the office part time, or fulltime, and that's completely OK. HR / Management treat employees as adults, not as children who can't be trusted to work away from an office desk.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
You mean like the buses and other transportation that Apple and countless other Silicon Valley companies have offered the past 20 years or so?

Companies aren't going to start paying for peoples cars and gas plus time commuting. When it comes down to it, you want the top paying jobs, you're going to have to do what the employer wants.
Why not? Stop thinking things need to be the way they were. When there is a labor shortage and you are looking for primo talent, then yes, these are benefits worth exploring offering

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
My work (government) is having us start back working in the office 2-3 days a week and 2-3 days at home. This will be the long term arrangement and I am happy with it.

My brother, who is an engineer for a chip maker, will be required to resume 5 days a week like prior to the pandemic. Nothing learned apparently. I expect people to leave

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
People who don’t commute to/from work in the Bay Area needs to experience what it is like before talking.

I highly doubt much of the tech talent needs to be in the office. I didn’t. In person 1-2x a week to maintain team cohesion is reasonable but 3-4x is on the higher end.

As others have echoed, Google and Apple can’t and won’t leave their campuses to be openly remote bc of the $ dumped into it. But it’s not the only reason. Imagine the jobs and local spending the city gets upon the return. The politicians had a hand in this.

I wouldn’t work for a co that required more than 2-3x per week. WFH has enriched my life in so many ways.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
It’s funny how ppl claim they are much more productive working from home…keep telling yourself that after you attend your one 30 minute meeting in the morning and then binge watch Netflix all day and occasionally tap your keyboard for “presence”
It’s funny how ppl claim they are much more productive working in the office…keep telling yourself that after you checked your email in the morning and then browse the web, watch Youtube and talk to your co-workers, drinking coffee all day and occasionally check your computer, type a few words to make it seem you make progress with your work.

Believe it or not, productivity can be measured. Depending on your job, for some people it’s gone up massively. This shows how often people take coffee breaks and chat with their coworkers without being productive.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
It’s funny how ppl claim they are much more productive working from home…keep telling yourself that after you attend your one 30 minute meeting in the morning and then binge watch Netflix all day and occasionally tap your keyboard for “presence”
I know I have been

-no more constant interruptions from coworkers
-back to back to back to back meetings via zoom, etc. In the past meetings were not scheduled that way
- I work longer hrs due to my office being "right there"

Don't think your behavior when you worked at home applies to others.

There are benefits to working at home but I also see where the challenges lie. I appreciate companies that recognize this and have adopted a hybrid approach vs going 100% what it was

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
It’s interesting to read the perks people are getting to either continue working from home…or the incentives they’re getting to come back to work.

Meanwhile, we went through a merger…and after working in person the whole pandemic (even doing EXTRA hours)…we got a pay-cut. It was a small cut, but still a cut nonetheless.

Now that my little rant is over…Apple’s plan of three days a week is pretty reasonable. That seems to be the theme among all the office-workers in my family. Many of them are going back to in-person for 2-3 days a week while others are going back for 5. (though much earlier than September. Some are back already, some are going this month. All will be back to some amount of in-person by the end of July).

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
They spent billions on that new campus in Cupertino and didn't really get to use it before the pandemic struck. Letting engineers work from home is not an option for Apple. However, it's pretty stupid that people will be dragged to the office in the Silicon Valley traffic three times per week simply to justify the existence of that office space. Selling it is not an option either. Who in their right mind in the Silicon Valley would want to buy a multi-billion dollar office space, whereas everyone has learned that working from home is much more productive?
Yeah would hate to be companies who invested in large commercial office spaces. Zoom isn’t ideal but the overhead is essentially non-existent keeping people home working for the most part. The fact these executives are not in person already when the pandemic is over in the US is a bit ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.