Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

quicktime.jpg
The Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team today issued an alert recommending Windows users with QuickTime installed uninstall the software as new vulnerabilities have been discovered that Apple does not plan to patch.
Computers running QuickTime for Windows will continue to work after support ends. However, using unsupported software may increase the risks from viruses and other security threats. Potential negative consequences include loss of confidentiality, integrity, or availability of data, as well as damage to system resources or business assets. The only mitigation available is to uninstall QuickTime for Windows.
The recommendation comes following a report from Trend Micro outlining Apple's plans to deprecate the software, which means no more security updates will be issued. At the same time, two new critical vulnerabilities have been discovered that affect QuickTime for Windows, and with no security updates forthcoming, the only defense against a potential attack is to remove the software.

For Windows users who want to uninstall QuickTime, Apple has published a support document that outlines all of the necessary steps. QuickTime for Mac is not affected.

Update 4/18: Apple has confirmed to The Wall Street Journal that QuickTime will no longer be updated.

Article Link: Apple Ending Support for QuickTime For Windows, Users Should Uninstall

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Studioman

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
So, let me get this straight. The department that keeps us safe from terrorist is issuing a warning to users because Apple won't fix old software, but the FBI knows a flaw in old IPhone software and keeps it secret to protect us from... Wait for it.... Terrorist. Lol

Last edited:

Borin

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2016
Somewhere over the rainbow.
So how are Windows users going to be watching trailers on Apple's site? Playback there always needed QuickTime.
They haven't required a local installation of QuickTime for a while now.

Oh no not QuickTime!

Guess I'll just have to take my mind off it by firing up Windows 98, kicking back to Smashmouth and playing some Age of Empires II.
As if AoE2 doesn't still have a healthy player base.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Anyone know what the reason behind the QuickTime name is?

Nope. But I'm sure there's some 13-year-old in his mother's basement researching it right now.

Pretty unintuitive application name if you ask me.

Apple should drop it… Oh wait.

Reactions: tonyr6

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
I would love to uninstall QT on my Windows machines, and I would also love if Apple stopped requiring QT just to watch the videos on their site! :rolleyes:

Reactions: tonyr6

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
Haven't been recommended to install quicktime for quite a while I believe. The only software Apple will introduce is iCloud for Windows, which is even not possible to install under Windows Server OS.

We, as a user, as a citizen under control by a handful of people with literally unlimited power, generally don't have much choice. Things may only change drastically if massive are standing up.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Where has Apple's icon design gone.

It's sad when an app that's been discontinued has a significantly better icon than Apple's current apps.

(QuickTime for Mac is just as irrelevant)
I think the decline in Apple logo design coincides with the dismissal of Scott Forstall Craig Federighi. While it might be true that it was time for skeuomorphism to go by the wayside, Forstall Federighi wasn't a one-trick pony. Had he remained at Apple, Scott Craig would have ushered in new, modern software designs that Playskool Jony can only dream about.

EDIT: Thanks for everyone who politely pointed out that I had confused Craig Federighi with Scott Forstall.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68040
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I remember when QuickTime was required for my Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys ...Baby One More Time and Backstreets Back CD's Enhanced content. Its was so cool back in 2000. I didn't have the hardware resources to play it on my Windows 98 PC at home, had to view it on my dads IBM Aptiva at the office with Windows 98 SE. :)

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I think the decline in Apple logo design coincides with the dismissal of Craig Federighi. While it might be true that it was time for skeuomorphism to go by the wayside, Federighi wasn't a one-trick pony. Had he remained at Apple, Craig would have ushered in new, modern software designs that Playskool Jony can only dream about.

You got it wrong... Forstall... Scott Forstall

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.