Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Another example of Apples - US only attitude.

Well, when Apple's only customers are US based, then they have only themselves to blame.

Even if Apple did have more stores outside the US, they wouldn't have special discounts for a country's particular holiday.

Guarenteed.

Think Secret had an article a while back that suggested Apple dislike Marketing inititives from Apple subsidary companies.

Speaks for itself.

Wakey wakey Apple. You are an international company, so start acting like one.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
How about European Stores? Fat chance.

If Apple can extend the offer to Canada, why not all other countries?

iPhoto US only service
iPod Battery replacement offer - US only
.Mac offers that are US only (ie, firewire drive offer)

...and the list continues to grow.

I didn't see other countries getting discounts for their special holidays.

Originally posted by ITR 81
Canada Store also gets the 10% discount.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
They will probably get promo's we won't in the near future. Japan will have their second store by next yr. and it's already been rumored they will get a promo only offered in Japan.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Free engraving!

I ordered a 10GB iPod for my girlfriend for Xmas today in order to take advantage of the 10% discount. Lo and behold, orders placed for iPods today at the Apple Store also get free engraving. Nice little extra bonus, though I had to come up with something cute off-the-cuff.

Don't know if the offer applies to in-store purchases (do they even do laser engraving in Apple Stores?).

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by beelzeben

The 10gb ipod is currently £250 (presently ~$420, yes, over 400 ...) yet no sign of any promotion anywhere this side of the pond.

To be fair, prices in UK are usually described inclusive of the 17.5% VAT while prices in US are descrbed exclusive of the local sales tax, which can be almost 10% depending on locale (or 0% for people in Delaware, New Hampshire, and Oregon and maybe one or two other states)

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Re: Free engraving!

Originally posted by Silencio
I ordered a 10GB iPod for my girlfriend for Xmas today in order to take advantage of the 10% discount. Lo and behold, orders placed for iPods today at the Apple Store also get free engraving. Nice little extra bonus, though I had to come up with something cute off-the-cuff.

The free laser engraving has been around for awhile and I believe its free until Dec 27 i think.

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Re: Re: This is the Big Music Event?

Originally posted by MisterG5
Since you don't figure in the 8% sales tax on the item without the 10% off you must live in a state where they only charge sales tax on sale items, can you tell me where to buy a house?

Move to Delaware. No sales tax on anything here! :D

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Re: Re: Re: This is the Big Music Event?

Originally posted by paulhorne
Actually I usually buy online from out-of-state retailers so I don't pay sales tax. There would have to be a significant benefit to purchasing something directly from an Apple store, and this certainly isn't it. Plus when you buy a computer from Macwarehouse or the other online retailers, they usually throw in RAM, a printer, etc. AND with no sales tax, it's always a much better deal than the Apple store (even with today's $100 off deal). I'm not bashing Apple or the store, because I know the stores have been vital for marketing and education. But the big music event was, I think, a missed opportunity and a lot of hype.

Unless you live in a state that does not charge sales tax, you generally do have to pay sales tax on items purchased through mail order and online. In Michigan where I used to live they called it a use tax.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the Big Music Event?

Originally posted by synergy
Unless you live in a state that does not charge sales tax, you generally do have to pay sales tax on items purchased through mail order and online. In Michigan where I used to live they called it a use tax.

My understanding is that online purchases are exempt from any sales tax, unless the company you buy from conducts has a physical business presence within the state. Most online stores have no sales less the one or two states they ship from.

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the Big Music Event?

Originally posted by Freg3000
My understanding is that online purchases are exempt from any sales tax, unless the company you buy from conducts has a physical business presence within the state. Most online stores have no sales less the one or two states they ship from.

The buyer is not exempt in most states that charge sales tax.
Online stores are exempt from collecting sales tax in states they do not maintain a physical store presence.
That does not mean you don't have to pay the sales tax, you still owe it in most cases.

Do a google search on "use tax" and you will see what I mean.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the Big Music Event?

Originally posted by Freg3000

I am pretty sure synergy is correct. You are supposed to declare your purchases. I am not sure if that depends on which state you live in though.

Anyhow, drove up to NH and bought 3 20 gig ipods at 359.10 each with no tax. Cheeper than the educational discount i would have used and didn't have to pay tax. Educational would have been about 389 per ipod after tax.

ddbean

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2003
Thousand Oaks, CA
Originally posted by doc_mac
Chill people. A discount is a discount!

True, but a discount DOESN'T make it a "BIG MUSIC EVENT" either. This is pretty lame if this whole event was just 10% off retail on ipods etc, and new physical itunes gift certificates. Not worth a 50 mile drive to nearest apple store on the busiest shopping day of the year, that's for sure.

DangerDiabolik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2003
yeah 10% on ONE DAY ! is no reason to get excited.

10& through DEC 24th is a plan.

ONE DAY ! LMFAO..Its not worth my grief to go to the nearest mall with an apple store. for 10 %

If it had been a price drop of substance, then its a different story.

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
wtf is up with all the discount haters?

the apple stores are open til 10pm tonight, and i doubt the crowds are going to be all that big after even 7pm. i'm going out to pick up a 40 gig model with $50 off the price (which is $10 less than the edu discount). haters can stay home with nothing.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Like so many before me ...

discounts great

can we please now get discounts on the rest of the world please theres a huge market here and well would like to buy an iPod for my New Mac when i get one

Re: This is the Big Music Event?

Originally posted by paulhorne

And the best they can do for holiday sales is offer a 10% discount on ONE DAY? How many people will even know about this event? And it's not being advertised on Apple.com? Add in my 8% sales tax and I'm netting a whopping 2% -- talk about slashing prices!

So, when there is not a sale you don't have to pay sales tax? That's a great deal for the rest of the year, then.

edit: Ok, Tim, read entire thread before replying. My bad, dude.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is the Big Music Event?

Originally posted by synergy
The buyer is not exempt in most states that charge sales tax.
Online stores are exempt from collecting sales tax in states they do not maintain a physical store presence.
That does not mean you don't have to pay the sales tax, you still owe it in most cases.

Do a google search on "use tax" and you will see what I mean.

Originally posted by Mosco
I am pretty sure synergy is correct. You are supposed to declare your purchases. I am not sure if that depends on which state you live in though.

Anyhow, drove up to NH and bought 3 20 gig ipods at 359.10 each with no tax. Cheeper than the educational discount i would have used and didn't have to pay tax. Educational would have been about 389 per ipod after tax.

That is quite interesting. I never knew that. So it is not that we are not being charged sales tax, it is just that the stores are not requited to collect it, meaning that people have to honestly report their purchases....which I am guessing doesn't happen to often.

Cool stuff. Thanks guys.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
These events are for ...

... "plain vanilla" consumers who don't buy online and are looking for an iPod. For this very large group, who bought their last computer at CompUsa or Best Buy, the 10% off 1 day event is a good deal.

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
i custom built my powerbook throught apple's online store, maxed it out as best i could. did the same thing with my first mac, a G3 tower. i use at least 2 other G4 macs and manage 10 other various imacs and emacs, plus a few windoze servers at work, everyday. i think the 10% off for 1 day is good. guess that's why i like vanilla ice cream the best, huh?

Alex Wrege

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2003
Apple Store Music "Event"

Well, I just came back from the Apple Store in Novi, Michigan . . . and: 'just' 10% off but unfortunately no freebies. I was sort-of hoping for a nice T-Shirt. Well, they just had some iTunes CDs there.
All right, that's it.

http://www.alexwrege.com

jhershauer

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
Re: 5GB iPod

Even if they have a 5GB iPod ready to release, I'm not suprised they didn't announce it today. An under $200 iPod would fly off the shelves without a 10% promo discount, so why introduce it today?

I'd look for a regular Tuesday release, although I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Originally posted by the_mole1314
I'm very suprised that a 5 gig iPod didn't come out, I'm going to have a talk with someone....

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by machan
wtf is up with all the discount haters?

HELLLO, AMERICAN

Apple ignores its NON USA markets. It rarely recongises its Candian market.

These discounts are not available outside north america.

It stinks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.