Apple Event Info

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Apr 27, 2003.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple's "Music to your Ears" Media event takes places today at 10am Pacific Time (1pm Eastern Time) and can be followed at the following locations:

By Satellite:

At Participating Apple stores.

You may have to call for verification of a showing.

Websites

- MacMinute.com reported that they would be providing live coverage of the event.
    - We will provide further links to sites covering the event as the time approaches.

Last Minute Articles

To tide the time until the event, you can read these last minute articles on the potential annoucements:

Apple Music Service to go Live - Financial Times
    Apple Said to Be Entering E-Music Fray With Pay Service - NYTimes

2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

just a question...

why still no mention of this on the apple site? shouldn't there at least be a banner somewhere telling people they should watch? am i just missing something?

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well we knew it was happening, this makes it Offical.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: just a question...

i think they prefer to let others advertise beforehand. i think they'll wait to have it all announced on their own site till tomorrow at 10, or afterward.

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Quicktime maybe

Any word yet as to a quicktime feed for this? I'll be at work, where we've at least got cable, but can't pick up the satellite feed.

anyone got a suggestion?

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Quicktime maybe

i don't think there will be a live feed this time. probably afterwords there will be a quicktime version tho... at any rate, check apple.com/quicktime as the event approaches to see if they have anything on it. they might post a stream an hour or so before or something...

pnw

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Re: Re: just a question...

i suppose that makes enough sense, especially since they are not having a webcast of it. still, i just expected there would be some sort of official recognition of things to come on their splash page.

oh well, they are an odd company, and i guess i should not expect them to always do the expected...

8. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

They obviously told most of the press about this. I guess they want people to be like, hey, there's an apple store in my mall and I'm going tomorrow, Why don't I stop by and see what all the fuss is about. Then they walk around, see some things they like, who knows they may walk out with something.

9. dethl macrumors regular

As long as someone is covering this, I will be happy. I'm gonna be in the middle of telecommunications class at high school during this event.

All I can say is: Bring it on!

10. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

NYT

oops. yet more innovation... we shall see I guess :p

11. applenut macrumors newbie

We all know that apple innovates all the time. We'll just have to wait and see. I just hope it's an updated version of iTunes.... can't imagine it could be better than 3....?

12. madforrit macrumors regular

Blah! The NYTimes article says "Friday" for new ipods! I can't wait...that long...must have new ipods on Monday....but hey, what does NYTimes know anyways?:rolleyes:

13. mim macrumors 6502

What's 10am Pacific Time in relation to GMT?

It feels like I'm going to have to wait, like, 3 more days for it to be the 28th over there in the states :D

And they think Australian's are backwards! At least they live 10 hours in the future!

14. mim macrumors 6502

<edit: err sorry , newbie mistake...posted twice...grrrr>

15. Mr.Hey macrumors 6502

Mr.Hey

NY Times
    SAN FRANCISCO, April 25 ? Apple Computer plans on Monday to introduce a digital music service, according to industry analysts. It is a move that thrusts the company into the middle of a contentious and technologically challenging area of digital commerce.

Apple itself has provided few details of its new service, but people in the music industry and analysts said users would be charged 99 cents to download individual songs drawn from the catalogs of the big record labels. They said that once users download the music, they would be able to listen to it on their computers or transfer it to a portable music player.

The music industry was given a new impetus to develop its own channels for online music last week when a federal judge in Los Angeles ruled that two file-sharing services, Grokster and StreamCast Networks, were not guilty of copyright infringement. In the face of the availability of so much free music online, the industry has yet to offer an alternative service that consumers seem willing to pay for.

Unless Apple unveils something radically unexpected, its service will not represent a marked difference from some of the Internet services already in existence. The announcement, however, will bring a big-name company into the mix, presenting a potentially significant change in what has been a tense relationship between consumer electronics makers and the music industry.

Computer and electronics companies see digital music as a way to drive sales of their hardware, and they have pushed hard to expand its availability. But the recording industry has battled technology companies on Capitol Hill, asserting that new digital products make music easy to copy and share over the Internet.

Music executives were unhappy when in 2001 Steven P. Jobs, Apple's chief executive, kicked off the "Rip, mix, burn" ad slogan, which encouraged people to transfer music from compact discs onto computers and create their own custom CD's.

Now, though, they seem comfortable with Apple's new strategy. Hilary B. Rosen, the chief executive of the Recording Industry Association of America, said she believed Apple had struck an industry-friendly balance. Apple's music service "has compatibility with a hardware product that is elegant and easy to use," said Ms. Rosen, who said she planned to attend Apple's news conference. "The Apple system has the potential to do for music sales what the Walkman did for the cassette," she added.

That prospect would certainly be welcomed by Apple, which is trying to solve its marketing problems. The company's share of the personal computer market has steadily eroded about 3 percent. But it still has a loyal following, little if any debt, and around $4.5 billion in cash. Moving into the digital music business may be a smart way to expand beyond hardware, some industry analysts say.

The company's fortunes "are tied so closely to Apple hardware, and if that hardware continues to slide, they're done," said Rob Enderle, a personal technology analyst with Forrester Research. "This is a hedge," he said. "They want some products they can sell into a broad market."

Indeed, the company is expected to announce the next generation of its iPod portable music player on Friday, said Brett J. Miller, an industry analyst with A. G. Edwards & Sons, an investment firm.

Apple's foray into a digital music service comes at a time when combining music and the Internet has been a struggle. The concerns of the music industry have not diminished despite the demise of Napster, the free online sharing service used by more than 50 million people to download songs over the Internet. It shut down in 2001 after being sued by the music industry for abetting copyright infringement.

But since then, a new generation of free music services, most notably KaZaA, have arisen and are now used by tens of millions of people to share music files over the Internet. The music industry has also sued to shut down KaZaA.

In addition to free file-sharing services, paid music services have emerged that charge users to listen to songs over the Internet through streaming and to download the songs to computers. These include Pressplay and MusicNet, both of which have financial backing from the record labels, and several independent services that license music from the record labels.
    page 1of2

16. Mr.Hey macrumors 6502

Mr.Hey

part 2of2
    The offerings vary, but a typical service might charge $9 a month for unlimited streaming and downloading to a computer, but does not allow users to burn the songs onto a CD or transfer them to a portable device. Some services also charge monthly subscribers an additional 99 cents for each song that they want to burn.

While offerings vary among the existing services, what is clear is that their popularity, while growing, remains meager compared to the popularity of the free music downloads. Lee Black, a digital media analyst for Jupiter Communications, estimates that the paid music services have a total of no more than 350,000 subscribers.

Even so, competition is increasing in this market. RealNetworks, which owns a portion of MusicNet, announced last week its plans to spend $36 million in cash and stock to acquire Listen.com, which offers an online music service called Rhapsody.

Technology and music industry analysts said they expected that Apple's service would allow users of Macintosh computers to download songs into iTunes software. Users then would be able to listen to songs on the computers, and also download them to iPods. It is unclear whether the service would be available to users of Windows-based machines.

But Philip Leigh, a digital media analyst with Raymond James & Associates, an investment banking firm in St. Petersburg, Fla., said the presence of Apple in the market could give a lift to digital music services beyond the confines of Apple's limited user base. The reason, he said, is that if Apple starts advertising the sale of music, "they'll be advertising to the whole world."

"It will raise the consciousness of the public that there are legitimate alternatives to KaZaA," Mr. Leigh said. He added that Apple's experiment would also allow the music industry to see how a piecemeal 99-cent offering ? without connection to a monthly subscription ? works in the relatively small universe of Macintosh users.

And he said the move could mean a long-term shift for Apple. "This signals a transformation of Apple into a digital media company," Mr. Leigh said. "Within 10 years, we'll look back and say this is when it mutated."

But Mr. Miller of A. G. Edwards said the company remained on solid footing as a hardware company. He said Apple, like others in the industry, was suffering from the weak economy.

While a music service could increase demand for Apple hardware, Mr. Miller noted that it was impossible to know the overall effect on the bottom line until Apple divulges specifics about the service and what royalties it must pay to record labels.

17. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I really wish that Apple would stream the announcement over the web, as I can't get to an Apple store.

At least the announcement is less than 12 hours away...

18. porovaara macrumors regular

I'm worried about this.

Hopefully we will be surpised tomorrow but if the RIAA is really backing this we can expect some rather draconian rules to what you can do with this music you purchase.

If it doesn't allow the music to be burned to CD then this service is done for in smaller markets. In those markets because people spend more time in cars and want their music to go with them. If car people have to rig up something to get their iPod going through their car stereo, oopise, ain't gunna roll.

*Crosses fingers*

19. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Re: I'm worried about this.

I agree. I think that if there is any kind of restriction on the use of the files a lot of people won't use the service. I know I have no problem paying for music, but once I buy it I want to be able to do anything I want with it.

20. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

We happened to drive by our local Apple Store just at closing Sunday night. There was a sign by the door inviting customers to come watch the presentation at the in-store theater. There was also an invitation to return Friday night (May 2) at 6:00PM for a special event. An employee said they thought tomorrow's event would be web cast but they weren't sure.

21. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Interesting that there has been little speculation about what the *name* of this new service will be. I guess we'll know soon enough.:)

22. daddy-mojo macrumors member

Re: I'm worried about this.

I already use it the car with a tape adapter. I hardly ever burn music cd's anymore. Its all in the hard drive or on the ipod. I get my music from all kinds of places, my own collection, friends, online, etc. I would be pretty comfortable with the knowledge that I couldn't burn via a disc & would be available without an extra charge. For people who still like mix and burn cd's then this might prove a test. And yes, I think I would use the pay service if its a fair deal.

23. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Re: Re: I'm worried about this.

I'm wondering if Apple thinks that by making these songs only downloadable to the iPod (not burnable to CD), it will get people to buy an iPod. I think that their primary objective should be to get people to adopt this service. Once people start using it and their computer becomes their music hub, then maybe they will see the convenience of having an iPod vs. messing with burning CDs all the time. What I'm saying is that apple can't expect people to adopt this unless it is completely dynamic - that is, burnable, importable to itunes, etc. I think consumers will understand if the music they download is only playable in its digital format on their computer (IE they can't trade it freely on KaZaA), but I think a system like that used by Audible.com would make perfect sense. The music could be downloaded and played on the one computer, but could also be burned in a format that a normal CD player can handle. I believe that this is the way the service will work. Apple knows what's up.

24. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

Re: Re: I'm worried about this.

ditto that, dude.

25. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Rhapsody? Wasn't that the code-name for some fantastical Apple project to unite all operating systems or something?

:D :mad: :D I SMELL LAW SUIT! :D :mad: :D

Stupid doubters. What does that NY Times rag know about innovation anyway...

Edit: BTW, who the heck wants to bother with any more Real products? Not me. Sheesh their stuff is annoying.