Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
If there are M4 coming, there will be new studios dropping in the event as well. It’s unlikely they would debut M4 on iPad alone.
If the M4 is ready for launch, I agree, surely other devices will also get the new chips, not just the iPad!

Reactions: andrewsyd

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I would recommend going with OutPlayer if you are looking for a video player app specifically for outputting video onto an external monitor, it does the job well.
Wow Ludatyk! I’ve been using it and this is exactly what I was looking for! An IINA or VLC for my iPad! A simple media player, versatile, that I don’t need to fight with every time I want to play a video.

There’s a similar media player that was just created by an indie developer, Jonathan Bui. It’s called “Video Player - PnP and more”, but due to it being a new app, it’s still not as polished as the one you’re referring to. But I’ll leave the link in case that someone wants to give it a try. It’s pretty functional even without the in-app purchase, but in case you’re interested, it’s just a one-time purchase of 6 bucks.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I won't be in the market for a new iPad (I'm happy with mine), but I can't wait for this event.

I LOVE the iPad and am really curious if the changes coming are going to be significant (I doubt it, as mature as the product already is).

Of all Apple products, the iPad is the one that excites me the most/has the most room for refinement, besides the VisionPro, of course.

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
Personally I’d not be surprised if we now receive:

iPad mini - with A17 Pro (or a cut version - A17)
iPad Air (incl. 12.9”) - with M3
iPad - with A16 (possibly with laminated display, but most likely not)
new Apple Pencil - backwards compatible

new iPad Pros with M4 and some AI features would be unveiled at WWDC with new iPadOS

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
How can we have a windows 11 with a variety of AI in use with intel pro processors without NPU, and then speculate Apple implementing AI is so dependent on the M4's NPU? Yes some things can be speeded up, but it's Apple's applications and operating systems that need the love. ;)

Windows AI NPUs are different from Apple. The RTX 4090 has more than 1,300 TOPS of performance, whether for gaming or to accelerate AI tasks.

Intel's Ultra CPU's offer 34 TOPS overall (including the CPU, integrated GPU, and NPU), with about 10 TOPS carved out of the total for the NPU alone. AMD's Ryzen 8040 mobile CPUs bump the NPU performance up to 16 TOPS, and the upcoming Snapdragon X-Elite has 45 TOPS.

Apple's A17 Pro/M2 Ultra are the only Apple silicon products that have somewhat sufficient NPUs. The rest is basic and will rely on cloud AI.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Wow Ludatyk! I’ve been using it and this is exactly what I was looking for! An IINA or VLC for my iPad! A simple media player, versatile, that I don’t need to fight with every time I want to play a video.
Well, I’m glad I can be of some assistance. I was thinking of doing the In-App purchase for the app… specifically for the Video Quality processing, but was told ”the differences can be subtle if video is already high resolution.”

There’s a similar media player that was just created by an indie developer, Jonathan Bui. It’s called “Video Player - PnP and more”, but due to it being a new app, it’s still not as polished as the one you’re referring to.
Um.. I use a combination of NPlayer, Infuse and OutPlayer… I think I’m content with just those.

I paid for both NPlayer Plus and Infuse (subscription), only reason why I went with OutPlayer because both apps are poor when it comes to external display support.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I strongly believe it's a cost thing. M3 is on TSMC's N3B node, which is unoptimized and more expensive to produce chips on. Apple will move to N3E (the optimized node) as soon as they can, due to the cost benefits. Moving nodes means a new iteration of the chip (they wouldn't move to a new node and still call it M3), hence why M4 seems so near.

That said, I was expecting it more in the fall than in the spring, but who knows.

M3 Bionic?

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I didn’t realize I was talking to Tim Cook himself … I was just expressing my humble desire as one of your loyal customers for over 30 years and having the frustration to have to switch from one machine to another to be productive … Common sense and full wallet is what got us the idea from Bro …
LOL! Not Tim Cook, but actually Steve Jobs, who very clearly positioned iPad as a device in between an iPhone and a MacBook.
But hey, to each his own, no one is “wrong” in how they choose to use, and what they desire from their Apple devices. Personally I don’t find it frustrating switching between iPadOS and macOS — it’s great cognitive exercise for the brain as we grow in years.

”Full wallet?” Yes that is wise. But then again Apple isn’t forcing us to buy expensive pro versions of both iPad and MacBook. “Air” models are just as functional and less costly.

Last edited:

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
The "unfixable hack hole" in M1-M3 means there's ever-growing legal risk for each additional M1-M3 product sold. M4 may close that hole, cutting off the size of the eventual class action settlement. If this, I'd expect a very fast transition to M4 everything ASAP... like crazy fast, as in some launches at WWDC and some more launches out in the summer somewhere vs. waiting until the usual Fall times.

I’m surprised at how little attention this hardware flaw has received. Your logic makes sense and I suspect Gurman is right. But why ship the M3 MacBook Air? The flaw was published after the Halloween event but before the MacBook Air launch. Also, as much as I would like a MacPad, fixing this flaw is a more likely reason for rushing the M4 to market.

Reactions: harold.ji

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I’m surprised at how little attention this hardware flaw has received. Your logic makes sense and I suspect Gurman is right. But why ship the M3 MacBook Air? The flaw was published after the Halloween event but before the MacBook Air launch. Also, as much as I would like a MacPad, fixing this flaw is a more likely reason for rushing the M4 to market.

My wild guess: M4 wasn't quite ready for MBair launch... and may not be ready for the iPad launch either... and may not even be able to close the "unfixable" hole. I don't know- just speculating.

In all of history, when a business is made aware that something they are selling can do harm to their customers, they've generally weighed ceasing to sell that product(s) and killing their own revenue flow vs. how much they best guess they would pay out in a future settlement for choosing to keep selling anyway. Since settlements are almost always pennies on the dollars, they almost always keep selling anyway and deal with the settlement when it gets to that (usually many years later).

However, to minimize that future settlement, they then make moves ASAP to transition away from continuing to "sell anyway" to basically wind down the ever-growing size of the settlement that will likely follow.

If all that applies here- and it seems it must but I'm no insider or lawyer- and M4 can close that hole (which I don't know- just assuming they addressed the "unfixable"), it seems perfectly logical that all M3 and A-series stuff with the "unfixable" hole keeps right on selling... until M4-tier can replace it all... which- as I offered in my wild guess- is probably no sooner than maybe end of year if Apple mad scrambles to get it all switched that quickly.

All just best guess speculation. I could be very wrong about it... including that M4 closes the hole. In trying to rationalize how M4 could launch in iPads vs. saving that technology for iPhones which "must be first no matter what because all things start with iPhone, blah, blah, blah", this is one somewhat unique circumstance that could easily override traditional schedules & normal order of releases (because lots of future cost is involved)... of EVERYTHING... not just iPad or Macs or iPhone. Everything with an unfixable hole should be turned over ASAP.

TBD.

Last edited:
Reactions: transpo1

boombashi

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2005
While I would doubt this kind of significant upgrade from Apple a few years ago, with the current industry headwinds they are facing, I could seeing Apple feeling the need to make this kind of splash to sell iPad Pros. After all, their goal is to sell devices and if that have a wow product in the stale iPad lineup, they may just sway some people on the fence.

boombashi

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2005
Posting a rumor like this a week out from the event, Mark Gurman's reputation is now on the line. Nobody is going to listen to a thing he says ever again if he didn't get this right.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
I don't get the M4 jump when the M3 transition hasn't completed across the lineup yet.
I think the M3 transition is complete. Rumors are the Mac Studio, Mac mini, and Mac Pro will skip the M3 family. Since those are the only computers not running the M3 family, then that means there aren’t any more M3 announcements left, except maybe the iPad Air. But that’ll happen simultaneously with the iPad Pros.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I think the M3 transition is complete. Rumors are the Mac Studio, Mac mini, and Mac Pro will skip the M3 family. Since those are the only computers not running the M3 family, then that means there aren’t any more M3 announcements left, except maybe the iPad Air. But that’ll happen simultaneously with the iPad Pros.
Who spread the rumors that was the case? Mark Gurman right? Apple hasn’t implied that was what they were doing.

Reactions: Chuckeee

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
M4 introduced in the iPad before any desktops or laptops makes less than zero sense. First, ipadOS cannot take advantage of any upgrades in the M4, second, the M3 hasn’t been out 6 months, third, the iPad isn’t going to be the flagship for on device AI this year as that is always going to fall to the iPhone first. Sorry, I call BS…this will be an M3 release this May with M4 in the fall starting in laptops along with the A18 and A18 Pro. In the iPhone 16 being the showcase for onboard AI, whatever that means to marketing.
It does make sense if this is Apple’s start of ‘the year of AI’. It could be odd if they introduce new iPads without all that AI computing power they’re hinting at. 🤷🏻‍♂️
One can hope😉

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Update!

Here are some of the marketing talking-points:

1. The ALL NEW iPad Pro is the most powerful iPad Apple has ever released!
2. The ALL NEW M4 chip in the ALL NEW iPad Pro is the most powerful M-series iPad processor Apple has ever released in an iPad. This takes the iPad Pro to an ALL NEW level of performance.
3. The best-in-class Neural Engine in the ALL NEW M4 chip is the MOST ADVANCED AI-class processor in its class. This is the future of AI!
4. The ALL NEW M4 chip continues to deliver power and efficiency that is unrivaled in the touch-based computer space, allowing for a truly pro-level experience and ALL DAY battery life.
5. Apple can't wait to see the amazing things our customers do we the ALL NEW iPad Pro. We think you're going to love it.
Yes! This! Make it happen! But you forgot the ‘it’s MAGICAL’ 🤣

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Cause you have a backdoor everywhere?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It does make sense if this is Apple’s start of ‘the year of AI’. It could be odd if they introduce new iPads without all that AI computing power they’re hinting at. 🤷🏻‍♂️
One can hope😉
Like last year was the year of Apple's headset. The industry cried please save us Apple as only you can because everyone else if floundering and haven't convinced consumers. Well AI is another topic that consumers aren't sold on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.