Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I would be extremely surprised if Apple indeed premiered the M4 chip in the iPad Pro. Pleasantry surprised for sure, but it sounds too good to be true. OLED + next gen CPU? What’s next, dual boot OS?
I don’t think it will have dual boot OS but it would be wonderful to have a more Mac-like UI when attached to an external monitor and peripherals.

Reactions: JonnyBlaze

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
M4 should be a powerful chip (as is the M3, M2 and M1). What are people doing on an iPad Pro that would necessitate such power? I can imagine 4K or 8K video editing, but I also imagine a very small slice of the consumer pie uses it for that.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
M4 introduced in the iPad before any desktops or laptops makes less than zero sense. First, ipadOS cannot take advantage of any upgrades in the M4, second, the M3 hasn’t been out 6 months, third, the iPad isn’t going to be the flagship for on device AI this year as that is always going to fall to the iPhone first. Sorry, I call BS…this will be an M3 release this May with M4 in the fall starting in laptops along with the A18 and A18 Pro. In the iPhone 16 being the showcase for onboard AI, whatever that means to marketing.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
M4 introduced in the iPad before any desktops or laptops makes less than zero sense. First, ipadOS cannot take advantage of any upgrades in the M4, second, the M3 hasn’t been out 6 months, third, the iPad isn’t going to be the flagship for on device AI this year as that is always going to fall to the iPhone first. Sorry, I call BS…this will be an M3 release this May with M4 in the fall starting in laptops along with the A18 and A18 Pro.
It can, if the improvements are focused on the Neural Engine (AI features) and in efficiency gains.

Macs with M3 won’t be outdated because that will still be the newest chip on the macOS platform, until they release the new M4 Macs.

I WANT TO BELIEVE!!!

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
From the Bloomberg newsletter in question:

"I’m hearing there is a strong possibility that the chip in the new iPad Pro will be the M4, not the M3." (emphasis mine)

It's probably 50/50 it's his own voice he's 'hearing' though 🤣
Yeah, this is the same person that “heard” there won’t be an event and it’ll be quietly introduced by PR (like the March Mac). I’m sure he recorded himself saying it, then played it back so “heard” is technically accurate!

DaveCummings

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2020

In his Power On newsletter today, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman outlined some of the new products he expects Apple to announce at its "Let Loose" event on May 7.

ipad-pro-2022.jpg

First, Gurman now believes there is a "strong possibility" that the upcoming iPad Pro models will be equipped with Apple's next-generation M4 chip, rather than the M3 chip that debuted in the MacBook Pro and iMac six months ago. He said a key new feature of the M4 chip will be an upgraded Neural Engine that boosts performance for AI tasks, and he believes Apple will market the next iPad Pro as an AI-powered device.

Second, he said that the new Apple Pencil that is expected to be announced at the event will feature haptic feedback for the first time. While he did not provide any details about how this will work, perhaps the Apple Pencil will have a small Taptic Engine that vibrates when switching between drawing tools, and using the rumored "squeeze" gesture that MacRumors previously discovered within the iPadOS 17.5 beta's code.

Third, he reiterated that Apple will introduce a first-ever 12.9-inch version of the iPad Air, and a redesigned Magic Keyboard for iPads.

Apple's event begins on May 7 at 7 a.m. Pacific Time (10 a.m. Eastern Time), with a video stream to be available on Apple.com and on YouTube.

Article Link: Apple Event Rumors: iPad Pro With M4 Chip and New Apple Pencil With Haptic Feedback
The haptic feedback on the pencil might be amazing depending on how it’s implemented. One of the things I actually loved about the Surface tablets is with the Slim Pen, where the haptic feedback gave a feeling like drawing on paper

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I cannot see Apple debuting the M4 in an iPad. Seems much more likely that the iPad gets an altered version of the M3 on the new more efficient fabrication process. Perhaps part of that process is adding another neural engine.

Even the M3 seems overkill for an iPad unless they start making some big changes to iPad os. Either way I’m looking forward to it. My 2018 can finally retire.

DaveCummings

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2020
I cannot see Apple debuting the M4 in an iPad. Seems much more likely that the iPad gets an altered version of the M3 on the new more efficient fabrication process. Perhaps part of that process is adding another neural engine.

Even the M3 seems overkill for an iPad unless they start making some big changes to iPad os. Either way I’m looking forward to it. My 2018 can finally retire.
I have a gut feeling that something major is coming with the next iPadOS. A few apps that have desktop versions as well as iPad versions that the iPad app is lacking has hinted at major updates to their apps in the future, but haven’t said what those major updates entail

Reactions: terminator-jq

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
For me, lately, the struggle with my iPad Pro is finding a good, reliable, non-subscription based media player. I use VLC, nPlayer, and more recently I purchased OPlayer, and none of them have a reliable UI when using it on an external monitor while reading files from an external hard drive. The UI glitches, or doesn’t work well between the iPad and the external monitor.

Any suggestion is welcome.
Try infuse?

Reactions: DEMinSoCAL

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
releasing an M4 will kill M3 mac sales
As much as Apple would wish different people dont really typically cross shop between macs and iPads, and when they do it’s not usually about chip speeds, so I doubt it

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I have a gut feeling that something major is coming with the next iPadOS. A few apps that have desktop versions as well as iPad versions that the iPad app is lacking has hinted at major updates to their apps in the future, but haven’t said what those major updates entail
My hope: full MacOS in some way

My suspicion: more intern-level reinventing of the wheel poorly work on stage manager

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Try infuse?
Infuse is a great media player with active development and a lifetime option.
I’ll give it a try, although I’ve always thought it was a “media library organizer” rather than just a player. But yeah, I’m definitely trying it without paying the subscription, to see if it works well as a media player for the external monitor. Thank you.

Reactions: seek3r
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.