Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ulyssesric

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2006
The pace is quite normal for a hardware industrial standard. And the first generation chip product will be a patch up from existed components such as primary micro-controller for Application stack, a second micro-controller for TCP/IP stack and a generic 802.11 controller. Of course this kind of combination is usually over powered and over priced. People will need to wait until 2016 for the mature products, if there is any.

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
It's the chip. I've spoken to the CEO of a home automation manufacturer and he explained how the proprietary Apple chip first wasn't available and even though it is available now, it'll add quite some cost to the hardware.

I'm using that company's device right now, which controls the cheap RF switches you get at DiY stores. Because magnetic contacts and doorbell sensors are available too, the system lets you build your own custom security that is simply always on. The usual movement sensors and light sensors of course, and by cleverly combining the RF tech with IP cameras, the device now lets me receive a picture of anyone ringing my doorbell through iOS notification. It works really well and because of all the standard hardware, it's actually quite cheap. It controls blinds, projector lifts etc. and reads weather station hardware (that also operates in the 433 MHz band) and it's hooked up to my watermeter, electricity meter and gas meter - total info and total control, without much cost due to cheap standard hardware coupled with a smart iOS/Android app.

Getting all this with HomeKit requires that every sensor supports the Apple proprietary chip. Ridiculous and costly. Even though I get their focus on end-to-end security, for most homes that's not absolutely required - I'd never use it to control my locks. And even though it can control a garage door, I'm not using that.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Have you looked at iRule yet? I ditched both my Harmony and Pronto remotes and now only use iRule.

Thanks. But no physical remote is a deal breaker for me. Don't want to have to unlock my phone and open the app every time I want to pause something or change the volume.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
HA isn't for everyone, admittedly. But one of the things I've done is install a 1-wire temperature sensor network around the house that communicates with my automation controller, and now the ceiling fans come on and go off in response to changes in temperature. On a hot night, I can fall asleep with the fan on, and I won't wake up at 4am to a cold breeze. During the day, temperatures stay more stable inside as temps rise outside because the air starts moving before I get uncomfortable. Hopefully sooner, rather than later, I'll get around to installing roller shades that can automatically drop to block heat out, or keep it in. It's on the to-do list.

I also use my HA system to monitor and control my fish tank environment. When my wife comes home after dark in the dead of winter, the driveway lights and foyer lights come on. The motion sensor in the bathroom kicks the light on, but only to full brightness if the 'isBedtime' variable is false. Otherwise it comes on at 15% brightness. If you want brighter, or full bright, you use the switch. One button on the switch next to my bed sets the bedtime variable, which also shuts off any light necessary, changes heating set points, and eventually will check on any unlocked doors or open windows.

In my mind, HA doesn't replace your standard infrastructure of plugs and switches, it enhances them. Think of it as macros for the physical world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.