Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple 'Excited' About HomeKit Partners Despite Slow Rollout

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's been more than six months since Apple first introduced HomeKit at its June 2014 Worldwide Developers Conference, but HomeKit-compatible products have yet to hit store shelves and may not do so until this spring, almost a year after Apple first detailed its home automation system.

HomeKit's launch has gone slower than expected, and according to sources that spoke to Re/code, the two major reasons were a "slower-than-expected" launch of the HomeKit MFi program, which began in November, and the late launch of chip specifications, which weren't sent out to chip makers until October. Apple's high performance standards for hardware manufacturers and chip makers are also said to be a factor.

Elgato's upcoming line of HomeKit-compatible products​
January's Consumer Electronics Show saw the debut of several HomeKit-compatible products, including the iDevices smart plug, Elgato's range of connected home devices, and the Schlage Sense smart lock, all of which may begin hitting store shelves in a few months. Apple gave a statement to Re/code on the upcoming HomeKit products, expressing the company's excitement.
"We are excited to have a growing number of partners committed to bringing HomeKit products to market, including several announced at CES," said Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller. "HomeKit offers a set of common protocols making it easier for customers to control HomeKit-enabled accessories using Siri or iOS apps. HomeKit is built on a secure foundation with end-to-end encryption which provides customers a secure connection between their iPhone or iPad and HomeKit accessory. "
HomeKit was announced more than six months ago, but many details about the home automation platform remain murky on the consumer end. It is not quite clear if and how it will interface with existing products or if consumers will be expected to purchase all new connected home items to take advantage of HomeKit. Details about the HomeKit MFi specification that leaked out earlier this week, however, suggest few existing products will be able to be used with HomeKit.

Article Link: Apple 'Excited' About HomeKit Partners Despite Slow Rollout

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
With the prices on "Smarthome" stuff so far I think I let somebody else test this first.

Comment

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but there seems to be an amazing amount of fragmentation before there is anything I'm at all impressed with.

Suppose that's what you get when you open something up to everyone to give it a go. The lame will die-off and the good will become great.

Comment

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but there seems to be an amazing amount of fragmentation before there is anything I'm at all impressed with.

Suppose that's what you get when you open something up to everyone to give it a go. The lame will die-off and the good will become great.
Fragmentation and confusion is the way I see it. I agree... wait until the good ones rise to the top.

Comment

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i just want 1 company to have great products that control everything.

Comment

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006

There are a thousand new fun gadget companies out there that will likely fade into nothingness or be absorbed by bigger companies in the next 5 years. That's the main thing keeping me from jumping on board...the best products seem to also be the most risky.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Just sitting back and waiting to see what comes out. All this stuff seems interesting and much of it useful. I'm more eager for CarPlay and hoping GM (or someone) comes out with a way to retrofit my 2012 touch screen... I hate the stock interface on the stereo that's there and don't want to replace the stock unit with a new one.

Modern day dilemma's! :rolleyes:

Comment

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
I'm just wondering what is taking Phillips so long to get Hue in here. They are already sold in Apple stores, all they need is a hub firmware update...

Comment

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state
I guess too much focus was on the apple watch... I like the idea but like so many others on this thread roll-out has been abysmal.

And, there seems to be no steadfast direction.

Can't find anything really positive to say about it so I guess I'll stop here.

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
HomeKit was dropped on developers and thus the public with no real substantive discussion of its capabilities or limits. Merely its existence.

The hardware firms have an engineering lead time approaching 2 years, just like an iPhone.

So it is reasonable to believe we will see HomeKit hardware roughly 2 years after the release of the MiFi program in Oct 14 not after the software release in June 14. So by Oct 16, 1.6 years from now we are likely to see some wide range of offerings.

A full year later we might expect to see hardware accounting for things learned by user feedback. This is a multi-year ramp guys.

The iPhone did not "get good" (in hindsight) till the 3GS was released as you may recall. That product had legs!

Rocketman

Comment

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Apple's high performance standards for hardware manufacturers and chip makers are also said to be a factor.

It's sad that these hardware manufacturers and chip makers don't have their own high performance standards.

"Gee, if only Apple could lower their standards and allow us to release half baked products we would have them on the market much sooner!" :rolleyes:

Comment

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
While health tracking and alerts are the main features the Apple Watch is launching with I totally believe that this "internet of things" is the real reason d'etre for the Apple Watch...and also the main reason to wait until it's internals and it's Mac/iOS operating system support will actually be advanced enough to do what it's really intended to do. It will ship and sell millions but it's basically a typical "prenatal" first generation Apple product.

It will be the main control device to interface an ever growing ecosystem of "connected devices." "unlock doors, control hvac/appliances, start your car, check your tire pressure/gas guage etc." the real world equivalent of the "go go gadget" cartoon magic.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.