Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
What's the pay like at Apple? I always assumed it was pretty good.

That said, what's your manager gonna do if you 'confidentially' have a whinge about your pay to them? Probably not a lot...

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
What's the pay like at Apple? I always assumed it was pretty good.

That said, what's your manager gonna do if you 'confidentially' have a whinge about your pay to them? Probably not a lot...
Tim’s payment is pretty good…
He confirms!

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Seems like a few posts here are from folks who’ve never worked a real job before, or just slid into management after boarding school. There is no question that Apple could, and should pay its employees more. Every apple toy in your hand was designed and built by someone and they should be compensated fairly for their work. The PR piece is just a way of pretending to deal with an issue, while simultaneously saying they don’t have an issue! Keeping silent about pay only helps the bosses.

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
This has been rumbling in Tech Twitter for MONTHS. MacRumors has been ignoring it. Good job finally acknowledging Apple has an issue.
Exactly. And they still mention “For those unaware”. Well, of course, Macrumors has been ignoring it. Probably because Gruber ignores it too.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Is there just one person over there who writes all the memos for the executives? Only at Apple will you hear the adverb "deeply" describing everything they do. It's really creepy (deeply creepy)

I wonder if some of this requires courage too. The corporate-speak is often all encompassing at some places.

-Team
-Deeply
-Courage
- few/limited number
-We think you are really going to like this. (If they didn't think so, why sell it?)

but, alas, no more "one more thing".

The pay has to come from somewhere: either some people make less (eg Tim Cook) or prices go up. If a particular individual's talents are worth more and Apple doesn't see it, Microsoft or someone else will snap them up.

guerro

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's a shame Apple forces its employees to work for them. In a free society, EEs and employers would come to an agreement on how much money would be exchanged for the specific job. This is basically slavery. Something needs to be done to free these workers so they can seek employment elsewhere.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Wait, what are they complaining about? Some people on this forum said it would be an honor to work for Apple. People should be grateful and they’d be happy to work for Apple for free. This makes no sense. /s

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Retail employees of any company complaining about pay? Color me shocked. I spent five years there, it didn’t make me rich, but it was compensation on par with the level of talent it required, if not a little higher than where I came from at Best Buy.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I’m conflicted about it. Personally, if you are a woman and you are doing same job that a male engineer does, equal or better, your gender should have nothing to do with whether you should not or should get more salary. You just should. But, what this shows is that leadership in the company might be so far removed from these issues or they just turn a blind eye because they look at the broader picture of working at Apple. Hearing Tim and Deidre moan about coming back to the office I think thats the view they approach this from and the following:

1. You are working for one of the best companies on the planet, anybody would love to have that on their resume.

2. You are an FTE at Apple, not even a contractor or ancillary.

3. Comparing your salary to most Americans making minimum wage, is there really that much of a disparity to complain about regarding a little imbalance - its not like you are working at Macdonalds - this is Apple.

4. Uh, the benefits - you likely have your own office, we probably pick you up in the Bay in one of those shuttles with WiFi providing easy commute to and from work, nice lunches at Cafe Macs, free or affordable gym, health and benefits, vacation time (we all know you engineers love your sabbaticals).

5. Employee discounts on the latest Apple products.

6. You are working in Silicon Valley, hmm, Google, Facebook, Adobe, Tesla, Microsoft, Uber, the many startups littered throughout.

7. Out of all the applicants that likely applied to work here, the rigorous interviews, you didn’t bring up salary, at the time, you seemed grateful to just get the opportunity to work here.

8. Remember, its 100 times harder for an H1B applicant to even get here and do their best work - you probably just drove down from Sacramento or Fresno and here you are!

9. Look at this huge campus we paid 5 billion to build, you have acres of land to securely roam, do your work - are you working in construction where you have to wake up at 6 in the morning? Are you working on a farm like an undocumented immigrant with no rights, health benefits, who wakes up at 3 AM in the morning to pick fruits and vegetables all day? I don’t think so, in contrast, we are even giving you 3 days to work from the comfort of your home in pajamas and all you have to do is press the Touch ID button and launch Xcode then compile a new build before 6 PM, then order something from Door Dash; and worry about what you are gonna watch on Netflix later that evening - we would actually prefer if you subscribe to Apple+ - talk to your manager about getting the Apple Employee discount.

10. Tim to Deidre - Uh, whats the problem here again?

Just to clarify, its not me saying this, this is what I think management is saying. But, if this is what Apple management is indeed saying - they have some strong points here. Sometimes Americans don’t see how good they really have it and its effect of living in a first world country. But you could bring up Labour day which came out of the harshness of child labour and women suffrage, which also afforded women the right to vote and work place protections.

So, maybe these concerns about pay are also part of the evolution too.

grjj

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2014
It surprised me that the salaries at Apple have such a wide disparity, from less than $30k a year to upper six figures. Obviously, not every job requires the same skill set. But it would be interesting to find out where the people complaining on Twitter fall within the salary range.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Apple/salaries

Should be easy to achieve pay equality. Divide current total pay paid to everyone by number of employees and pay everyone that amount. Include Tim in that calculation too. Why does he get paid so much, unfair. From each according to their ability, to each according to their need - should fit Apples philosophy.

I don't think most people really understand how large Apple is or the diversity of jobs there. The public facing jobs like Apple Retail and AppleCare support are toward the bottom end of skill/pay. There's insurance professionals, actuaries, lawyers, purchasing negotiators, shipping logistics planners, culinary chefs, micro architecture engineers, AI/ML scientists, health researchers... it's mind boggling when you start looking at it.
It makes zero sense that a retail sales person doing a job that most people could do with a few weeks of training should make as much as a data scientists that has a degree or three and doing work that only, perhaps, a few thousand people in the world can even comprehend, never mind actually do.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Someone has sneaked a photo out of the meeting.
1984 ad.jpg

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Pay equity. There are some variables to it. Position A has two people doing it. One is a female minority with three years experience and graduated from college A. The other is a white dude with six years experience from college B. They both start at Apple at the same time. Should they get paid the same?

Last edited:

God of Biscuits

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
Apple uses "industry-standard" methodology? But..but...they strive so hard to be "industry-leading" when they talk in their Events!

Remember folks: two Apples. The one that makes great stuff and behaves like a good social citizen to the world, and Apple the Corporation, that's just like or worse than every giant faceless corporate bureaucracy in the world, where Humans are a Resource and Team is important and a consequence of that is that complainers aren't Team players by definition. And those who gang up on another employee -- if enough of them do it -- ARE the Team when they're Playing.

Reactions: -DMN- and o9ski

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Progressive leaders at Apple earn hundreds of millions, employees get screwed. Hiring foreigners to lower the wages is soooo progressive.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Pay equity. There are some variables to it. Position A has two people doing it. One is a female minority with three years experience and graduated from college A. The other is a white dude with six years experience from college B. They both start at Apple at the same time. Should they get paid the same?
People can do the same job, without having the same performance. Pay should depend on performance, not anything else.

Reactions: Arbuthnott

KillerTree

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
From my experience salary ranges has always been something that is private, not that you go comparing yourself to everyone else with the same job title. Part of it stems from the day you were hired, and your offer, to how well you are performing and your manager values you as part of the team. But you have people hired with different skill/education valuation along with experience so some that are recent might be paid more then you were with same experience. If you can't elicit the salary you want, then look at other in house positions, or outside to get the job you want.
Then you've 100% fallen for the corporate trick to stop employees from talking about salary. Salary knowledge 100% helps employees negotiate higher pay. Corporate doesn't want their employees to negotiate their pay.

There's a reason we've had to implement laws making it illegal for an employee to fire someone for discussing income.

Reactions: biziclop

Doomtomb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Austin, TX
Talk to your manager
That's like a blackmark on your career. This type of advice is representative of every major company and it's poor advice.

Reactions: profcutter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.