Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
They're not. The people who are just deny it. If she was a white male there wouldn't be any hostility in this thread. Maybe comments about it being boring, but no hostility. This thread is much different. Attacks on her character and it's obvious why when you consider the demographics of macwhiners.
Oh please. There are plenty of people at Apple that would get the same reaction.....like Eddy Cue.

But you know what....lets keep this about race and gender...clearly that is the issue here according to the enlightned Apple Watch powerusers. If we have any remotly negative feelings about a woman, minority, or LGBTQ (and whatever other letters I left off) we must be racist or hatefull. How about we just don't like whats going on!

If all you super PC anti-racist world savers would stop making the first racial observations....humanity might make some progress. If I am not mistaken....you guys pulled the race card on this thread first. By constantly making these types of "observations", you are just keeping the thing you hate most alive. Think about it.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
And I don't know that anybody cares about the people who worked at Pepsi.

Well, when you're marketing fashion products or stuff like music/movies, Pepsi is probably a pretty good fit, as similar skills apply. Apple isn't as much a computer/tech company any longer (unfortunately).

And, remember, Apple's best CEO outside of Steve Jobs, also came from Pepsi.

If she was a white male there wouldn't be any hostility in this thread.

Seriously?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
I know this is an Apple forum, but if anyone watched Google I/O this year, you'll know that Apple presenters, as awkward as they might be, are WAY better than Google's presenters. There was a guy who hung up on his kids while they were talking to him. There was a DJ on stage. There was some kind of giant new age harp. There was a super awkward chat demo. The only presenter that was halfway decent was the VR guy.

NikeSG

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2015
I will say she did as well as anyone could have asked for the Apple Music portion, given that the updates to Apple Music will not come close to catching where Spotify is with their curation, which is surprising, given the fact that the endless Iovine pitch has always been, "We answer the question 'what song comes next?'" Spotify sure seems to know. Apple Music? Tasteless, stale, and narrow! Also, the tools to exploring and discovering new artists is extremely limited on AM. The fix/agenda for promoted artists is painfully visible on AM. But really, who knew curation was so difficult? I didn't until I experienced Apple's playlists, Beats 1, and featured "New" browser. Not only that, but the fact it is a mess on the design side.

I complain, yes. I can qualify by stating that I do have Spotify Premium, Tidal Hi-Fi, and Apple Music, and have used all for extensive amounts of time. We'll see where the new Apple Music app takes us. I'll reserve judgement until it's gold status.

Reactions: 5105973

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
People on this thread where talking about her presentation skills and content or lack of should I say.

she was completely over the top, with silly behaviour and shouting to a crowd that doesn't give a damn about what she was saying. People are hateful because:

A - Her only presentation was crap.
B - She represents a different apple, a new apple that people don't like - I.e not about computers or software any more. It's about fashion, Funky watches and teenagers.
C - What has she actually done to warrant any exposure? She is part of a (currently) Failing Product. She has had zero success at apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
A - Her only presentation was crap.
B - She represents a different apple, a new apple that people don't like - I.e not about computers or software any more. It's about fashion, Funky watches and teenagers.

I wouldn't say her presentation was crap, but it wasn't at the quality level of a lot of previous Apple presentations (there have been other duds), but it especially wasn't as stated in the original article's quotes from Buzzfeed or Wired!

But, point B is critical in terms of any hostility from most of us. We're just pissed off at Apple in general... so we have to be careful not to shoot the messenger. But, that doesn't excuse the quality of the presentation we're also noting.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
Stole the show? I seem to remember she was rather cringeworthy.

She was cringeworthy if you're over the age of 30 - otherwise she killed it (translation: She did a magnificent job!)

Oh, I think I get it - because her presentation is so "new" and "different" and the style is "disruptive" and not traditional, it will take time to permeate to the "rest" of America, kinda like the word "bling", "booty", "turn down for what". I guess decades later you all can adapt this into your vernacular and act like you invented it.

So for now, I guess it is kinda "awkward" and "cringeworthy" if you don't get it.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
She was clearly full of nervous energy, but don't forget standing up there, knowing millions are watching and scrutinizing you would unnerve all but the most seasoned public speakers. I say cut her some slack and don't criticize until you've walked in those shoes.....

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What version of Apple Watch is she wearing here?

CmYkqbDUMAAp_k8.jpg:large

Clud8YnWMAE70qn.jpg

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
MOD NOTE: this thread is not in PRSI! Please start your own thread there if you are going to take the thread to topics that belong there.
You deleted a bunch of my posts defending her (because they were "political") but left all the posts criticizing her. Okay.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
What version of Apple Watch is she wearing here?

CmYkqbDUMAAp_k8.jpg:large

Clud8YnWMAE70qn.jpg
Based on the wardrobe (which looks like something the 1970's accidentally made and buried far underground) and watch I can see she is 100% in touch with the general Apple user base.

Reactions: jwkay

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Her portion of the keynote was amazing. It added flavor to an otherwise bland event.

I think she is a good presenter. I MUCH prefer her over Eddy Cue. Did you see how RUBBISH he was at that event? It looked like he didn't even bother to read the lines over. His classic (don't know if anyone caught it) "I lost my place don't know what's going on" happened right after one of the other people (iMessage demo I thing). He came fumbling on stage and said "can't wait.....to....do it". Clearly he needs to go. I think she would actually be a good addition to the keynote lineup...it could use some life. Lets get Eddy out and give her his job. I think after some more keynotes she would actually do really well. Jobs probably would have liked her.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I think she is a good presenter. I MUCH prefer her over Eddy Cue. Did you see how RUBBISH he was at that event? It looked like he didn't even bother to read the lines over. His classic (don't know if anyone caught it) "I lost my place don't know what's going on" happened right after one of the other people (iMessage demo I thing). He came fumbling on stage and said "can't wait.....to....do it". Clearly he needs to go. I think she would actually be a good addition to the keynote lineup...it could use some life. Lets get Eddy out and give her his job. I think after some more keynotes she would actually do really well. Jobs probably would have liked her.

MUCH better than Eddy... though I'm not sure that's a compliment. ;)

Yes, and as I said earlier, I wonder how much of what she tried to do was actually her idea. But, I think she could be a pretty good presenter with a bit more practice (and material better matched to audience... again, who's fault that was, who knows?).

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

She was fine, but it was the wrong audience for her presentation. Devs aren't usually very social and this wasn't their type of activity.
[doublepost=1467936388][/doublepost]
Nope. This is not for charity. This is a publicity stunt. She should go back to her office...

Her presentation was awful.

How about you stop telling people what they shouldn't choose to do with their time and energy, Your Majesty.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
She was fine, but it was the wrong audience for her presentation. Devs aren't usually very social and this wasn't their type of activity.

Of course, to be fair, neither was much of the rest of the WWDC presentation. So, maybe the intended audience were all the teens and twenties watching the live stream. And, while it seemed kind of 'forced' to me, with the younger audience quite used to being propagandized, maybe they saw it as 'authentic.' :)

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Does anyone else feel like the only reason she was up there was because she is black and also a female?

I assumed it was because of her professional role and the fact that what she was presenting was directly related to that role. But hey go ahead and imply affirmative action if that makes it sting less that she is so much more successful than you are.
[doublepost=1467936792][/doublepost]
Of course, to be fair, neither was much of the rest of the WWDC presentation. So, maybe the intended audience were all the teens and twenties watching the live stream. And, while it seemed kind of 'forced' to me, with the younger audience quite used to being propagandized, maybe they saw it as 'authentic.' :)

It's no worse than a couple of years ago when the Mail updates pretended everyone was going to hipster parties and rock climbing all the time.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I think she should go help present at Qualcomm. She'd fit right in.

And how big of an ego must you have if you think this is a good way to raise money for charity. Please, get over yourself.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.