Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's former hardware engineering chief Dan Riccio told colleagues he is "nearing retirement" after more than 25 years at the company, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Apple-Dan-Riccio.jpg

John Ternus succeeded Riccio as Apple's Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering in 2021. That year, Apple said Riccio would "transition to a new role focusing on a new project," which Gurman said was the Vision Pro headset.

Here is how Apple described Riccio when it announced that transition in 2021:
Riccio has been a leader in designing, developing, and engineering almost all of Apple's products. From the first generation iMac to the more recent 5G iPhone lineup, M1-based Macs, and AirPods Max, Riccio built the Hardware Engineering teams and scaled Apple's ability to innovate across multiple new product lines with the highest quality. After joining Apple in 1998 as a leader on the Product Design team, Riccio became vice president of iPad Hardware Engineering in 2010, and in 2012 he joined the executive team as the leader of Hardware Engineering.
Here is what Riccio said in that press release:
Working at Apple has been the opportunity of a lifetime, spent making the world's best products with the most talented people you could imagine. After 23 years of leading our Product Design or Hardware Engineering teams — culminating with our biggest and most ambitious product year ever — it's the right time for a change. Next up, I'm looking forward to doing what I love most — focusing all my time and energy at Apple on creating something new and wonderful that I couldn't be more excited about.
Apple launched the Vision Pro in the U.S. in early February, and it said the headset will be released in additional countries later this year.

There is no timeframe for Riccio's retirement, as Gurman said specific details related to his planned departure are still being worked out.

Article Link: Apple Executive Dan Riccio Reportedly 'Nearing Retirement' Following Vision Pro Launch

Last edited:

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
As he was reportedly running the Vision Pro group that project might be handed over to Kevin Lynch, now he is out running the Apple car project I guess. The thing where the Vision Pro might need some work is software (Personas anyone?) and Lynch is a software guy, so that might be a good fit.

Rocio was always a Mac advocate and I applaud him for that. I hope that spirit in Apple doesn’t retire with him.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
He is bailing before the **** hits the fan over VP.

Dude is 61. I manage teams around the world and it's f---ing stressful. I'm 49. My blood pressure yesterday morning was 178/100. If I'm not retired by 61 I'll probably die, and I don't make anywhere near what Riccio makes.

I'm not a fan of AVP, and I've no dog in the VR hunt (never going to buy a VR device in my lifetime), but the level of discourse on these boards sometimes gets so reductive like a child's understanding of what adults do at work... Y'all need to calm down.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
John Ternus succeeded Riccio as Apple's Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering in 2021. That year, Apple said Riccio would "transition to a new role focusing on a new project," which Gurman said was the Vision Pro headset.

Here is how Apple described Riccio when it announced that transition in 2021:

Riccio has been a leader in designing, developing, and engineering almost all of Apple's products. From the first generation iMac to the more recent 5G iPhone lineup, M1-based Macs, and AirPods Max, Riccio built the Hardware Engineering teams and scaled Apple's ability to innovate across multiple new product lines with the highest quality.
Maybe Riccio shouldn't be leaving on this "highest quality" note :p

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Exactly my thought!

Apple have no doubt suggested retirement after the Vision Pro flop. 😂
I wouldn’t call it a flop. It was priced at $3,500 and has sold over 200,000 units. It would have easily sold millions upon millions if it was priced at $499 like the Quest 3. Obviously, pricing it that low isn’t realistic due to the tech it offers, but I’m just saying. It’s clear that Apple didn’t want it to be a huge commercial success with the large starting price.

Reactions: SFjohn and KeithBN

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Dude is 61. I manage teams around the world and it's f---ing stressful. I'm 49. My blood pressure yesterday morning was 178/100. If I'm not retired by 61 I'll probably die, and I don't make anywhere near what Riccio makes.

I'm not a fan of AVP, and I've no dog in the VR hunt (never going to buy a VR device in my lifetime), but the level of discourse on these boards sometimes gets so reductive like a child's understanding of what adults do at work... Y'all need to calm down.

You’d be surprised, most people on these boards ( just going off of most posts on these boards) think that Tim Cook is literally the only guy at the company.
Like the entire company is just one guy, deciding which features get added, which bugs get fixed, which price point the new product will be at.
When the reality is that it’s thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of people all compromising to make the best decision possible.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
You’d be surprised, most people on these boards ( just going off of most posts on these boards) think that Tim Cook is literally the only guy at the company.
Like the entire company is just one guy, deciding which features get added, which bugs get fixed, which price point the new product will be at.
When the reality is that it’s thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of people all compromising to make the best decision possible.

I'm not surprised. It's a reflection of the fact that most people don't work in tech. I'm a 25+ year veteran of the industry.

What I think isn't surprising but concerning is the degree to which the internet promotes uninformed hot takes... that isn't as much the case here with the traditional message board structure of Macrumors but it is so prevalent across algorithm-driven social media that people are just used to being rewarded for saying things that have no foundation in reality. Our culture tolerates this at the highest levels, so it's not entirely surprising that it shows up on message boards every so often.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
As I read the article and moved to the comments, I wondered how many comments I would get through before someone insinuated something nefarious or a conspiracy like was behind his departure. It took four comments.

This is a normal, well deserved retirement. Not a conspiracy or bailout or anything else some would have us believe. The guy is 61 and probably doesn't ever have to work again unless he wants to. Life is short. He should enjoy the rest of his in the way he wants to without a bunch of technophiles on websites alluding to mysterious goings on and conspiracies.

macvicta

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2021

Get more potassium in your diet. I started eating fruit everyday, including bananas and prunes, and it finally got my blood pressure to normal despite being on two different meds for it.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
I'm not surprised. It's a reflection of the fact that most people don't work in tech. I'm a 25+ year veteran of the industry.

What I think isn't surprising but concerning is the degree to which the internet promotes uninformed hot takes... that isn't as much the case here with the traditional message board structure of Macrumors but it is so prevalent across algorithm-driven social media that people are just used to being rewarded for saying things that have no foundation in reality. Our culture tolerates this at the highest levels, so it's not entirely surprising that it shows up on message boards every so often.
It's also a reflection that the vast majority of people on these boards have little or no experience in management, leadership and strategic planning. Add that to understanding little if anything about corporate finance and what you get is what we see on boards everyday - great, educated tech people who work in development, coding, creative arts, etc. and are very good in their specialties, but who know very little about running a business, especially a large, diverse multinational. I am constantly shaking my head over their comments regarding what I just mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.