Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Which, in retrospect, maybe was a loss. Look at what Windows is now. Windows 8 is practically a privacy-respecting paragon of usability compared to Win11's invasiveness.
At least there’s free apps that turn off a lot of that crap.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Surely one of the perks of being a bigwig at Apple is being able to retire early and just enjoy a stress free life. He's only about 61 according to apple.fandom

Reactions: Chazak and KeithBN

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
The Vision Pro haters sure are lively in this thread. Imagine being this upset about something which has zero effect on your life.
I don't mind that the Vision Pro exists per se, however, the further fragmentation that it will lend to Apple's core products is a frustration. Year after year, their products become more bugged, live up less to the "It Just Works" mantra that USED to be true, and the QA takes further regular nosedives.

Naraxus

Suspended
Oct 13, 2016
He needs to retire, and I’d like either Jeff Williams, Craig Federighi, or (as a dark horse) Johny Srouji.
Jeff Williams I hope. Federighi can't even get MacOS, iOS to function without being plagued with bugs and people want HIM to run a trillion-dollar company? Then again, Cook's already run Apple into the ground so how much worse could Craig be?

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
All these people recently leaving have mature seven or more likely eight figure options so why not?

kangyula

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2024
Shareholders will not be happy to see Tim go.
I will be. And every other shareholders who looks at the long-term. The last few years of Tim was all about juicing out everything he can from his stock options before he retires.

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2013
Dude is 61. I manage teams around the world and it's f---ing stressful. I'm 49. My blood pressure yesterday morning was 178/100. If I'm not retired by 61 I'll probably die, and I don't make anywhere near what Riccio makes.

I'm not a fan of AVP, and I've no dog in the VR hunt (never going to buy a VR device in my lifetime), but the level of discourse on these boards sometimes gets so reductive like a child's understanding of what adults do at work... Y'all need to calm down.
If it's 178/100 measured in the morning and you're already on medication and live an otherwise healthy life (no smoking, low salt and caffeine intake, very limited alcohol use, regular exercise, reasonable BMI), your blood pressure in stressful situations, e.g., in one of those board meetings, is most likely higher, e.g., 180/120, which is what's called a hypertensive crisis.

I wouldn't wait till 61 and see what happens. You should take on a lesser and less stressful role now.

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2013
You guys are looking at it all wrong. It's not that Riccio is considering retirement because he thinks AVP is going to be a disaster. It's the exact opposite. AVP is going to be, if it isn't already, a disaster precisely because it's executed by a guy nearing retirement, who knows he doesn't have any dog in the fight since AVP's inception.

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
You guys are looking at it all wrong. It's not that Riccio is considering retirement because he thinks AVP is going to be a disaster. It's the exact opposite. AVP is going to be, if it isn't already, a disaster precisely because it's executed by a guy nearing retirement, who knows he doesn't have any dog in the fight since AVP's inception.

That too is presumptive... I've been working alongside a VP who juggled the job, a son who was in a home explosion (gas line), a wife who suffered a brain injury, and had to look after parents suffering from dementia... all within the same year. And he still gave it 200 percent, every day. AND he is the genuinely nicest person I've ever had the pleasure of working with. He leaves at the end of this month.

It's not about dog in the fight... not at this level. You don't achieve and achieve and achieve and get to this level and then suddenly check out at the finish line. I wake up at 4am on weekends because it's easier to keep up the momentum than to let it slip. It's a different mindset entirely.

And there are thousands of employees around the world counting on little me to do my job. There must be tens of thousands counting on Riccio.

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
If it's 178/100 measured in the morning and you're already on medication and live an otherwise healthy life (no smoking, low salt and caffeine intake, very limited alcohol use, regular exercise, reasonable BMI), your blood pressure in stressful situations, e.g., in one of those board meetings, is most likely higher, e.g., 180/120, which is what's called a hypertensive crisis.

I wouldn't wait till 61 and see what happens. You should take on a lesser and less stressful role now.

I figured out what it was... I was grabbing expired meds. 128/79 today.

My previous job, with a Silicon Valley software company (FAANG-adjacent), was 100 times more stressful.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That too is presumptive... I've been working alongside a VP who juggled the job, a son who was in a home explosion (gas line), a wife who suffered a brain injury, and had to look after parents suffering from dementia... all within the same year. And he still gave it 200 percent, every day. AND he is the genuinely nicest person I've ever had the pleasure of working with. He leaves at the end of this month.

It's not about dog in the fight... not at this level. You don't achieve and achieve and achieve and get to this level and then suddenly check out at the finish line. I wake up at 4am on weekends because it's easier to keep up the momentum than to let it slip. It's a different mindset entirely.

And there are thousands of employees around the world counting on little me to do my job. There must be tens of thousands counting on Riccio.
You’re wasting your well reasoned breath. Vision Pro haters will look for any indication that the inanimate object they hate will fail.

Reactions: SFjohn

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
You’re wasting your well reasoned breath. Vision Pro haters will look for any indication that the inanimate object they hate will fail.

I don't really care about these labels of "hater" or whatever... I have zero interest in AVP.

The world isn't made up of just "fanboys" and "haters". Work, life, etc., is more complicated than that.

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2013

Some people do check out though. Some others even start talking about retirement while still in their early 50s. Your mindset changes when your body or mind starts to decline. This happens in professional sports as well as in Silicon Valley, regardless of the percentage you're giving at work. Your total output just simply wasn't what it was.

Of course, I'm not saying this is what's happening with Riccio, but frequent changes of top leadership on flagship projects do seem to be somewhat of a theme in Cupertino these days. ;)

Stay healthy.

lysingur

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2013
You must be one of those people on here who thought Mastodon was going to replace X, formerly known as Twitter, a year ago.

And you're going to get mocked again in a year and until AVP is no longer a toy that lasts only two hours on a tethered battery pack. I don't know how badly an inanimate object out of Cupertino has to suck before people like you can finally see it for what it really is.

Reactions: gusmula

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
I wouldn’t call it a flop. It was priced at $3,500 and has sold over 200,000 units. It would have easily sold millions upon millions if it was priced at $499 like the Quest 3. Obviously, pricing it that low isn’t realistic due to the tech it offers, but I’m just saying. It’s clear that Apple didn’t want it to be a huge commercial success with the large starting price.
iPhone mini sold way more than that and it was still deemed a flop and canceled

Reactions: gusmula and nfl46

fromgophonetoiphone

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Dude is 61. I manage teams around the world and it's f---ing stressful. I'm 49. My blood pressure yesterday morning was 178/100. If I'm not retired by 61 I'll probably die, and I don't make anywhere near what Riccio makes.

I'm not a fan of AVP, and I've no dog in the VR hunt (never going to buy a VR device in my lifetime), but the level of discourse on these boards sometimes gets so reductive like a child's understanding of what adults do at work... Y'all need to calm down.
Wow dude. 178/100. Shouldn't you be at the hospital?

Don't get me wrong. I'm very familiar with tech lifestyles and the toll it takes on your body, but dude, I have to say. You've done well for yourself if you've been in the industry for a while. 49 is typical director and senior director level if not more at FAANG. Take care of yourself.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You must be one of those people on here who thought Mastodon was going to replace X, formerly known as Twitter, a year ago.
*buzzer sound*
And you're going to get mocked again in a year and until AVP is no longer a toy that lasts only two hours on a tethered battery pack. I don't know how badly an inanimate object out of Cupertino has to suck before people like you can finally see it for what it really is.
Oh no...randos on MR are going to mock me. However will I survive?

Keep getting triggered by an inanimate object you let live rent-free in your head.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.