Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch Series 7 comes in new 41mm and 45mm size options and it has the largest display of any Apple Watch to date, a design challenge that Apple executives called "unique" in an interview with The Independent.

Apple-Watch-Series-7-Pink-and-Green-Feature.jpg

Implementing the new design without major increases to the casing size required "completely re-engineering the display, the front crystal, the internals and the internal enclosure," according to Apple's vice president of product marketing, Stan Ng.

Apple was able to reduce the borders on the Series 7 to 1.7mm, down from 3mm in the Series 6, and it's a noticeable change. The Apple Watch Series 7's launch was delayed until October after its September introduction, and rumors suggested that was due to the complicated design necessitated by the updated display.

The size increase was implemented only because Apple found a way to do it without compromising on other Apple Watch features. The touch sensor was integrated into the OLED panel, which kept the height of the Apple Watch the same and the general case size consistent.
"The re-engineered display on Series 7 is a major technical innovation. Growing the display is such a huge benefit to users, but only if it doesn't compromise any other part of the experience, such as comfort or aesthetics or battery life or band compatibility."
Apple's vice president of interface design, Alan Dye, said the company's goal with the update was to "make the user experience more clear and more accessible." The size increase required Apple to make hundreds of small UI changes.
"We knew this was an opportunity to optimize the design of the entire experience. So, we went about over the past couple of years reconsidering and recrafting every element, making hundreds of really small but we think important and impactful changes to make the UI to work in harmony with the new display design and making the UI even easier to use."
Text input on the Apple Watch has always been "a huge challenge," according to Dye, so the QWERTY keyboard that was implemented with the larger display was an achievement. Dye says that Apple always wanted a QWERTY keyboard. The bezels around the keys were removed to make it feel less cramped, a move that also conveys to customers that "precision isn't critical" because the keyboard uses machine learning to correct what you want to type.

Going forward, Apple plans to continue to innovate on the Apple Watch user experience, the information that's displayed, and cutting down on wasted space.

The full interview, which goes into more detail on design decisions like the new Apple Watch faces and Apple's obsession with typography, can be read over at The Independent.

Article Link: Apple Executives Explain Challenges of Adding Larger Display to Apple Watch Series 7

Last edited:

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
It's a minor thing, but I'd really like to see enhancements to the workout metrics display. It hasn't changed in years, despite the screen size increasing twice, it still just shows a few lines of plain text, and the entire top 1/3 of the display is wasted on the huge workout icon in the top-left. I'd love to see a redesign, with more detail and maybe a graph or two showing heart rate/pace/calories over time, maybe a couple different 'views' to swipe between, etc.

standing

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2021
Berlin
Not practical, maybe, but sure would look nice having the entire watch body made from one piece of a glass with a display wrapping around inside of it.

Edit: found it. Ok no wrapping going on here but…

Attachments

• C8B30FBA-5956-4614-AF16-A20F94021901.jpeg
    C8B30FBA-5956-4614-AF16-A20F94021901.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am personally glad that Series 7 does not use the rumored flat edge design. The current design is dated to be sure, but with a larger edge-to-edge display and new colors, it still looks great.

What's less great is the selection of watch faces.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I don’t buy the narrative that they worked hard making the screen larger, either the physical or software aspects of it. Adding thickness to the glass and saying that was to make it stronger - tell me who was complaining that the glass was too thin and prone to cracking on any of the previous Watches?

Going further with the glass, this idea that the curved edge is “cool” in how you can sort of see on-screen elements wrapping around the edge - that’s bs marketing for something that provides ZERO consumer benefit, which is exactly why Apple didn’t offer a waterfall edge screen on the iPhone.

The fishbowl reflections caused by the curved top of the screen could have been eliminated by going to a flat glass lens that sits inside the frame of the watch case, which would have provided additional scratch protection. It would also allow for a more seamless view of the screen, like what Apple has been doing with the iPhone and iPad over the past few years.

Is it obvious I am not happy with the series 7 Watch “update”?

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Cute. But you know exactly what I'm talking about but in the event you've forgotten (or conveniently ignored), here's a refresher: https://www.verdict.co.uk/apple-watch-keyboard-app-store/
I just don't see what's remarkable about the story. You think nobody at Apple ever considered or conceived of adding a QWERTY keyboard to the watch before this one guy tried it? Apple surely had this (very obvious) idea before the Series 0 even launched and have just been waiting for the right opportunity to add it.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

"We knew this was an opportunity to optimize the design of the entire experience. So, we went about over the past couple of years reconsidering and recrafting every element, making hundreds of really small but we think important and impactful changes to make the UI to work in harmony with the new display design and making the UI even easier to use."

Years? Are we sure it wasn’t weeks? ?

Johnnyponken

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
I just don't see what's remarkable about the story. You think nobody at Apple ever considered or conceived of adding a QWERTY keyboard to the watch before this one guy tried it? Apple surely had this (very obvious) idea before the Series 0 even launched and have just been waiting for the right opportunity to add it.
They didn’t wait for the right opportunity. They chose the opportunity that suited them the most to persuade people to buy the latest series. It’s obvious it would work on the series 4 but no that would mean they would have one less argument for folks to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.