Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viale Montanane

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
I will be happy when they introduce the "Wankel Complication", where the face consists of a series of linked revolving Reuleaux triangles whose positions with stunning subtle elegance indicate the time. Of course, if they could offer the watch body in the Reuleaux shape that would be even better.

Added: seems a wristwatch featuring Reuleaux triangles and polygons has been done. One example is the Urwerk x MB&F C3H5N309 Experiment ZR012.

Ok, Apple, looking at you ...

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Lots of ribbing and cheap jabs here, but the Watch bands are a key (and under appreciated) reason why the Apple Watch is as popular as it is, and this is a good example of Apple’s design-led process.

It may sound pretty obvious in hindsight, but you sure don’t see the competition do this. Heck, apart from Apple, it seems like every other watch manufacturer is still using the same cumbersome means of swapping watch bands.

I guess sometimes, you really need Apple to show the rest of the industry how something ought to be done.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I put a Nike Sport Loop on my Series 6 shortly after buying the watch. Given how often I wear it, and the fact it’s survived swimming pools, sweat, and everything else, I’m impressed with how it’s suffered only minor discolouration.

The bands are clearly an earner for Apple, but they made the right choice with interoperability: upgraders would be less inclined to do so if they had to replace bands every time. There is also a decent market for non-Apple bands that relies on this consistency.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
They’d make more if everyone had to buy news ones with each version of the watch.

The counterpoint is that few people would bother investing in a wardrobe of watch bands if they had to keep buying new ones with every new watch, and simply stick with the stock one that came with the watch.

Apple affirming that our watch bands will continue to remain compatible with newer generations of the Apple Watch is the signal people need to continue buying new bands without worrying that they will one day become obsolete.

Reactions: Razorpit

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I’m very curious how long the actual bands will be supported, probably still for a few years. There will come a day when the band connection system will be limiting new features or new design (smart bands?) for Apple Watch, and Apple will have no choice but to move on. The longer they wait, the less happier people will be.
They will provide a dongle adapter.

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
MacRumors said:
Apple Watch bands themselves include no technology, but their design plays an important role in making sure that functionality of the Apple Watch doesn't get interrupted. Ng said that Apple Watch bands feature "innovations" to ensure they're comfortable, and don't ruin the Apple Watch experience.
For example, the velcro tabs on the Sport Loops, magnets on the Milanese Loop and Leather Link, and nine sizes of Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop make it easy to adjust or find the right band size for a perfect fit.

Perhaps I learned an incorrect definition of "technology" but I'm pretty sure the velcro tabs, magnets, and even various sizes would be considered technology in the classical sense. I guess the author thinks that only electronics are technology these days.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I own six different bands for my watch. Only one of them was made by Apple: the one it shipped with. The rest are all 3rd party because to heck with Apple's ridiculous pricing.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Most of the Apple bands are a PITA to use, especially for older people and those with arthritis. Form over function equals fail…as usual.

Luckily you are free to buy any other band you like but I’m pretty sure that most other bands for watches are equally complicated if you suffer from arthritis.

Reactions: SFjohn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Question to everyone, if Tim is forced out this month OR next, will the Apple Watch be considered his #1 accomplishment ?

Growing to a two trillion dollar company probably exceeds a single product when it comes to accomplishments.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
They’d make more if everyone had to buy news ones with each version of the watch.
I wonder what the market research is on that. Are people more likely to buy a new device, knowing that they have accumulated years worth of bands that they can continue using? Or are they more likely to buy a bunch of bands with each new hardware?

I genuinely don't know, but it would be interesting data. I'd say what I do but.... I use the watch for as long as it lasts me lol. I am still rocking a SS S3 and I can;t say watch bands really sway me one way or another. My favorite one I own is actually third party... regret paying the Apple tax on the milanese.

cvam1985

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2011
I have an absurd collection of Apple bands and I love them. But it’s obvious that over time Apple has devised them to be as cheaply made as possible while keeping margins high.

They stopped making the classic buckle and the woven nylon, which both had stainless steel clasps in favor of the Sport Loop (ten cents worth of nylon and plastic) and the magnetic Leather Link.

The benefit to this is that they now match a wider variety of watches since there is not a potential for hardware clashes, but the quality of the bands is really not as good.

And now the Woven Nylon style is exclusive to Hermes. A 50 dollar band now costs 400.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Don’t give them more ideas of what to remove from the box!

It will probably be like the XDR display + stand paradigm, where you can choose which band to get with your watch. Or maybe not even get a band if you already have a couple from your previous Apple Watch, and the band it ships with may be a duplicate of an existing one you already have, or you simply don’t care for it.

I don’t see Apple doing this anytime soon though, for the simple reason that most people are getting an Apple Watch for the first time, which means you will want to include a band for them. This is different from the iphone, which removed the charging brick because most people are not new to the iphone (or smartphones in general), and likely already have a charging brick from before.

Perhaps in the future if and when Apple Watch adoption reaches saturation point, but for now, I expect them to continue shipping with bands.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
So, is that a reassurance that watchbands will continue compatibility in the future or is this talk to start to prepare for a different form factor requiring all new bands?
I’ve tried a few 3rd party but Apples own are the best, for me, knowing that the margin is huge
Yeah. When these execs talk something like this out of nowhere, sometimes it’s a sign they will do the complete opposite.

I’d expect Apple breaking the compatibility on S8 with a new form factor, and then call it courage 2.0.

Reactions: jz0309

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Also piss off too many people. Not worth the hassle.
I don’t think so. Look the iPhone cases. Each new iPhone have slight changes, be it thickness and the size of the camera bump, that warrants a new case. Doesn’t stop people from buying new cases every year.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Most of the Apple bands are a PITA to use, especially for older people and those with arthritis. Form over function equals fail…as usual.
I feel with you - but most (>95% I guess) of Apple Watch users are not arthitic or to old to handle watchbands. That's the same why (forgive me the bold symbol) the do not make a seperate OS for blind people. Maybe arthritic people have problems with all watches in general? I assume Milanese and sport loop would be easiest for this group of people. I really love my sport loop. Its easy to put on and quite comfortable. For changing the band older people may need help still, but this help should be provided in every apple store.

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
Totally agree. Their watch buying experience is awful. It’s needlessly overdone.

I just want to pick the case material, size, band. Done. Keep the gallery view for people who can’t decide but let the rest of us dig down to choose like buying anything else. I knew what I wanted when getting my series 7 and it took me far longer than it should have just to find the right combo.
Not sure what could be easier. After clicking "Create Your Style", there are 3 buttons: Size, Case, and Band. Within each, you just click the one you want.

Reactions: alfonsog and ericwn

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
...This is different from the iphone, which removed the charging brick because most people are not new to the iphone (or smartphones in general), and likely already have a charging brick from before...
The publicized "reason" and the actual reason are two different things. The actual reason was to increase profit margins.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I bought the original leather band for like 170 bucks for my Series 0 watch back in the day and it is the only band that completely fell apart. Been buying cheap knock offs from AliExpress ever since and they are all flawless to this day. Never again spending so much on a watch band

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.