Apple Expanding AppleCare+ Monthly Payments to Canada, Australia and Japan

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expanding AppleCare+ monthly payment options to Canada, Australia, and Japan, allowing customers in these countries to pay for AppleCare+ for iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches on a monthly basis.

The online Apple Stores in Canada, Australia, and Japan aren't yet providing monthly payment options when checking out after new device purchases, but an AppleCare+ support document confirms the feature is rolling out.
In the United States, Australia, Canada, and Japan, when you purchase AppleCare+ coverage for your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, you can choose to pay monthly or pay upfront for 24 months of coverage. (For Apple Watch Edition and Hermes, you can pay upfront for 36 months.) If you paid upfront, you can go to mysupport.apple.com to continue coverage* on a monthly basis after the 24 or 36 months is over.
Customers in Australia, Canada, and Japan can opt for monthly payments along with customers in the United States, where the monthly payment option rolled out in September 2019.

Monthly payment plans continue to renew each month until canceled, and AppleCare+ coverage on a monthly plan continues beyond the standard 24 or 36 month (for the Apple Watch Hermes) period as long as monthly payments are continued.

Customers who purchase AppleCare+ up front and pay the full price for a standard AppleCare+ plan can later upgrade to a monthly plan to continue AppleCare+ support beyond 24 months. Monthly payments for AppleCare+ vary based on device and country.

Article Link: Apple Expanding AppleCare+ Monthly Payments to Canada, Australia and Japan

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I took advantage of this in the US to keep AppleCare on my 10.5" iPad Pro. It's a great ching for this of use who like to keep their devices longer than 24 months.

The trap of course is if you keep the coverage active when you reach a point you would prefer a new device than to get a refurbished one, you are paying for something you don't intend to use if needed.

I just wish they would extend this program to macOS devices.

Natzoo

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
So if you keep making the monthly AC+ payments, coverage continues on indefinitely? I didn't realize you can have AC+ beyond 24 months.
Definitely going to do this on my mac book pro for the keyboard issue, that recall is going to end in 1 year for my device.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
From a business perspective Apple Care+ is a brilliant move. They charge a lot for a device and expensive to repair, so honestly it scares people into expensive insurance plans to "protect their investment". It's a lot like BMW's and the like, it's expensive to buy and requires more maintenance, which is already more expensive, than your common vehicle. And just like cars, they've got folks on monthly plans for these insurance plans along, and in the case of the iPhone, making the cost of the phone and insurance a combined monthly payment.

Again, from a business perspective, amazing which is why they keep going up in stock and socking away revenue. From my personal view, no thanks. I like owning things outright. If I don't have the cash to pay in full, I can't afford it.

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City
So if you keep making the monthly AC+ payments, coverage continues on indefinitely? I didn't realize you can have AC+ beyond 24 months.
That’s correct.

PRIOR Sept 2019 Paid In Full or Monthly Plans:

If you purchased the AppleCare PRIOR to September of last year and got the monthly plan OR the paid in full. Then it will expire after 24 months for iPhones, iPads or Watches and 36 months for Watch Edition and Hermès.

After it expires you have 60 calendar days to go into the Apple Support app and renew it. If you miss the that window and don’t renew it, then you can’t get it again. The only option will the monthly option.

AFTER Sept 2019 :

If you purchased the AppleCare AFTER September of last year and got the paid in full. Then it will expire after 24 months for iPhones, iPads or Watches and 36 months for Watch Edition and Hermès.

After it expires you have 60 calendar days to go into the Apple Support app and renew it. If you miss the that window and don’t renew it, then you can’t get it again. The only option will the monthly option.

AFTER Sept 2019 Monthly Plans:

If you purchased the AppleCare AFTER September of last year and got the monthly plan. Then it will NOT expire after 24 months for iPhones, iPads or Watches and 36 months for Watch Edition and Hermès.

You pay for it monthly until either you decide to cancel it, like any subscription (iTunes, Music, TV+, etc) or until Apple can no longer service your device. Whichever comes first.

Monthly Recurring Charges (Best Buy, Target, Walmart):

If you’re bill monthly by a third party like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Telus, AT&T, etc.
Then it WILL expire after 24 months for iPhones, iPads or Watches and 36 months for Watch Edition and Hermès.

AppleCare Services (Xfinity, Sprint, T-Mobile):

If you have AppleCare Services through your carrier like T-Mobile, Sprint, etc
Then it WILL expire after 24 months for iPhones, iPads or Watches and 36 months for Watch Edition and Hermès.

After it expires you have 60 calendar days to go into the Apple Support app and renew it. If you miss the that window and don’t renew it, then you can’t get it again.

AppleCare Services is only good for the first two incidents or the first two/three years. Whichever comes first.

iPhone Upgrade Program, iPhone Payment Plan, and Card Payment Plan:

If you have AppleCare and your financing it through the iPhone Upgrade Program, iPhone Payment Plan or Card Payment Plan. Then it WILL expire after 24 months for iPhones, iPads or Watches and 36 months for Watch Edition and Hermès.

Last edited:

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Cash grab for sure, but as others have pointed out, it's nice to have that option for the fancy device you bought and plan to use more than 2 years...

Of course, if you are careful in planning, you can extend the standard 2-year coverage to 3 years by using a credit card with purchase protection.

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City
I took advantage of this in the US to keep AppleCare on my 10.5" iPad Pro. It's a great ching for this of use who like to keep their devices longer than 24 months.

The trap of course is if you keep the coverage active when you reach a point you would prefer a new device than to get a refurbished one, you are paying for something you don't intend to use if needed.

I just wish they would extend this program to macOS devices.
Me too.

go to the feedback page and request it.
- - Post merged: - -

Definitely going to do this on my mac book pro for the keyboard issue, that recall is going to end in 1 year for my device.
AppleCare renewals/monthly plans are only available for iPhones, iPads and Watches.

It’s NOT available for Macs, AirPods, Beats, HomePods, Pro Display XDRs, iPods or TVs.

snyp1193

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Now only if they finally brought the iPhone upgrade program to Canada.....It’s absolutely ridiculous they expect Canadians to pay over $1500 for a base 11 Pro Max but the only option is to buy it outright or go on a carrier’s overpriced $100+ monthly plan, just to take advantage of their 0%/24 month financing 😑...there should absolutely be an option for 0% financing/yearly trade in directly from Apple.

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City
I may extend AppleCare+ on my new iPad Pro 11 (2020). It is goof to know I have the option, even though I have while to make up my mind.
Make yourself a calendar reminder for two years and one day from the date of purchase of the existing AppleCare coverage. You may not get a reminder notification. You'll have 60 calendar days from when it expires to renew the coverage.

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage:

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors P6
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Make yourself a calendar reminder for two years and one day from the date of purchase of the existing AppleCare coverage. You may not get a reminder notification. You'll have 60 calendar days from when it expires to renew the coverage.

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage:
I went ahead and created a reminder just now. I appreciate the suggestion.

Reactions: InfiniteJoules

LFC2020

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2020
Just say I use up my 2 accidental damage apple care claims during the first 2 years, once I renew apple care plus on a moth to month plan, do I get another 2 accidental damage repairs?

Namara

Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
East of the sun, west of the moon
Just say I use up my 2 accidental damage apple care claims during the first 2 years, once I renew apple care plus on a moth to month plan, do I get another 2 accidental damage repairs?
Yes, you get 2 new incidents for accidental damage. If one or both of the original two incidents weren't used in the initial two-year period, they would expire.

Reactions: LFC2020

Devyn89

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Glad to have the option even if I personally prefer to pay upfront when possible.

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City
The short answer: yes.

The long answer:
Every two years for iPhones, iPads, and Watches it will reset itself back to two incidents.

Every three years for Watch Editions and Hermès it will reset itself back to two incidents.

For example iPhones, iPads and Watches:
Year 1 and 2: Two incidents
Year 3 and 4: Two incidents
Year 5 and 6: Two incidents
Etc.

Same for Watch Edition and Hermès except the time frame is 3 years instead of two.

Important note:

Unused incidents do NOT carry over.

For example:
In Year 1 and 2 you only used one incident. When Year 3 comes around it number of incidents resets itself and only have two incidents for years 3 and 4.

Glad to have the option even if I personally prefer to pay upfront when possible.
This is a wise choice as it WILL save you money.

The monthly subscriptions do cost more over the same timeframe as a paid in full plan.

The only recommendation I would make is to make yourself a calendar reminder for two years and one day from the date of the purchase of the AppleCare for your device. That way of you don’t get the system reminder you don’t miss out on the monthly renewal option.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City
In Canada - Koodo, Telus and Rogers have already added monthly AP+ payments since 2018: I know this since I’ve done this with Koodo in December 2018.
That’s correct BUT there are some important things to know when you have AppleCare on a monthly recurring charge from a carrier or third party.
  1. AppleCare is for the first two/three years or the first two incidents whichever comes first.
  2. If you’re late on a cellular payment or a payment to a third party they MAY be cancelled. After it’s been cancelled and your device is beyond the initial 60 calendar days from the date of purchase of the device you will NOT be able to get AppleCare again.
  3. If you decide to change your carrier at any time you will lose your coverage. Again, after it’s been cancelled and your device is beyond the initial 60 calendar days from the date of purchase of the device you will NOT be able to get AppleCare. This is both for AppleCare Services (T-Mobile, Sprint, etc) and AppleCare on a monthly recurring charge (Telus, Rogers, AT&T, Best Buy, etc.).
  4. You HAVE to complete the initial contract time period (two/three years) in its entirety to be able to renew your AppleCare on the Apple Monthly Payment option.

That only applies to mobile devices, not MacOS.
That is incorrect.

This applies to iPhones, iPads and Watches only.

iPods, AirPods, Beats, Macs, Pro Display XDRs, HomePods and TVs are NOT eligible.

• Love

InfiniteJoules

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
Gotham City
My suggestions are:
  1. Always get AppleCare from Apple.
  2. If you can afford it, opt for the pay in full option as it is cheaper.
Then from there it depends on your option:

Paid In Full:
  1. If you get the paid in full option, make yourself a calendar reminder for two/three years and one day from the date of purchase of the AppleCare to remind yourself to renew the coverage.
  2. Make sure you don’t miss the 60 calendar day window to renew.
Monthly:
  1. Make sure you link your AppleCare monthly subscription to your Apple ID as soon as possible. If you don’t you will NOT be able to manage your payment method. There’s no way for you to update your credit or debit card information without linking it to your Apple ID.

Last edited:

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
So, this monthly plan is basically like Geico, but for Apple products? Is it supposed to be per device or does it cover all of your Apple devices from July 2020 onward (assuming you purchased your Apple products in Canada)? And does this mean that you can do away with the standard 2- or 3-year Protection Plan, or is the standard plan a prerequisite?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.